Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 12:50 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times

Advertisements

I have worked for companies that are in the construction industry. My position was as an Administrative Assistant at each (word processing, phones, ordering office supplies, accounting, payroll, etc.). Of course I put my resume on most of the job sites when I was job hunting and right off the bat, I kept getting calls and emails for Engineering positions and Project Management positions. I don't even have a college degree. They didn't look very closely at my resume for sure - they only saw the companies I worked for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 12:53 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I have worked for companies that are in the construction industry. My position was as an Administrative Assistant at each (word processing, phones, ordering office supplies, accounting, payroll, etc.). Of course I put my resume on most of the job sites when I was job hunting and right off the bat, I kept getting calls and emails for Engineering positions and Project Management positions. I don't even have a college degree. They didn't look very closely at my resume for sure - they only saw the companies I worked for.
I have learned recruiters do NOT read resumes.

I have been contacted also about jobs in my field that require only 3-5 years when I have 15. WHY on earth would I want that ???

Old 05-17-2019, 02:00 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have learned recruiters do NOT read resumes.
Most of them can't, because there's no phone app for it.

Quote:
I have been contacted also about jobs in my field that require only 3-5 years when I have 15. WHY on earth would I want that ???
I don't see the problem; employer preference is often a minimum, not a fixed point.

But then, with almost twice your experience, I often apply for jobs asking for one-tenth of it. That apparently confuses the hell out recruiters, who just hit delete and make another run to hang out at Starbucks.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:52 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
You don't need experience to get a sales job. Just have a pulse.

And some 'sales jobs' are really just MLM's or pyramid or ponzi schemes.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:02 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This is so annoying. A recruiter from an insurance co called me about a job she had 'selling insurance.' I don't want to sell insurance and my job is the FURTHEST thing from selling insurance.

Do these people call EVERYONE with a pulse?
Yeah, got those calls and lately haven't had many emails from prospective recruiters, I usually respond with "You are offering me $13 an hour? What reason should I take it when I am making $17??"

Never hear back from them....

Old 05-18-2019, 12:06 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Yeah, got those calls and lately haven't had many emails from prospective recruiters, I usually respond with "You are offering me $13 an hour? What reason should I take it when I am making $17??"
Well, there's always the overseas recruiters who want to pay $100k plus for someone who can stand upright, breathe and read simple English...

Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Over 10 years ago, my husband was unemployed. He worked in IT. Lots of Indian recruiters would call him and string him along with no intention of hiring him. One even called him twice about an auditor job. The first time he told the recruiter that he wasn't an auditor. The second time, my husband told the recruiter that if he didn't stop calling him, my husband was going to call the police. After that, no more calls from that one. What we figured out is that Indians call non-Indians only to prove that they supposedly aren't discriminating. Then they go ahead and only hire Indians.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:14 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What we figured out is that Indians call non-Indians only to prove that they supposedly aren't discriminating. Then they go ahead and only hire Indians.
It is slightly different.

They're doing this to prove that they could not find willing and able US Citizens so they can get H1B visas or PERM certification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

Old 05-19-2019, 02:29 AM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
It is slightly different.

They're doing this to prove that they could not find willing and able US Citizens so they can get H1B visas or PERM certification.
I've seen that video.

What I was referring to was Indians who come here on H1-Bs and eventually get green cards. Once they're in a position to hire others, they blatantly discriminate against non-Indians. So, they call non-Indians and string them along leading them to believe that they have a good chance to get the job. Then instead, they hire an Indian. They only call non-Indians to make it look like they tried to hire a non-Indian.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:56 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
My favorite is when I get messages about "management" positions when my LinkedIn is a "Case Manager" for a foster care agency. The lack of comprehension blows my mind. Sure, I'd love to be a manager. But in my field...which requires lots of additional education and experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment