U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 02:33 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,446,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmo89 View Post
IMO, the issue isn't that they want me to do the work . I worry they are covering their ass and want a scapegoat.

Who looks more guilty? The guy who did almost all the work on the project or the people who literally did nothing on the project?(even though their job responsibilities said they should of been doing a ton)

Its a tricky situation because trying to be a good employee in a ****ed up situation, I think I put made myself the easy target to blame. And since they are approaching me with trivial **** that I had no control over, it sounds like they are looking for someone to blame.

And like I said, I am confident that i created enough paper trails by filing formal complaints with HR to defend my position to my new supervisor, this is a lot of ugly drama lol
So does this mean you're going to take Naterator's advice, or not?

Because if you think they are out to make you the scapegoat you need to loop in your supervisor. (But make it succinct. Your new supervisor isn't interested in the drama and unless he asks about it.)

Also, if your supervisor believes it would be meritorious, you might want to leave a paper trail with HR at the new company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 06:37 AM

1,906 posts, read 674,557 times
Maybe you like drama?

Talking to their HR does nothing unless you are following up on your 403B or something. Their HR is going to provide nothing against them. Now, they even have a paper trail that could be construed as you harassing them, if you think they are really that demonic, lol.

I would talk to my supervisor, as everybody and their brother has told you to do. Keep it simple and straight to the point - "how do you feel about me spending this company's time to helping that sister company do their work?"

If administration (not HR) is good with it, then help them. If administration (not HR) is not good with it, then don't help them. Either way ask for a directive in the form of a memo in case the sister company contacts your current employer - and forget about the past. It's what most people who dont like drama would do.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:51 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,467,673 times
If it were me, I would go work for their competitors. Competitors will laugh in their face, if a former employer is asking their employees to provide consulting on the side. The competitor would likely fire you, if you continued to respond due to a conflict of interest.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:35 AM

2,867 posts, read 6,406,104 times
This continues because you are allowing it.

Treat this like a bill collector. Cut off all contact. Block emails and phone numbers. Stop thinking about them contacting your current employer. What would they say? Demand your current employer force you to answer questions about a job you left? Even if it came to that say I don't remember and don't have any documents.

Your prior place sounds like it imploded and those few left are desperately trying to hold on by blaming you. Participating in this has no upside for you.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 3,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
This continues because you are allowing it.

Treat this like a bill collector. Cut off all contact. Block emails and phone numbers. Stop thinking about them contacting your current employer. What would they say? Demand your current employer force you to answer questions about a job you left? Even if it came to that say I don't remember and don't have any documents.

Your prior place sounds like it imploded and those few left are desperately trying to hold on by blaming you. Participating in this has no upside for you.
I do agree i feel like i am enabling them. I definitely enabled them being lazy asses and cover for them when i was there.

I guess why im conflicted now is that i feel like the project is going to blow up. And I did most of the work... my work was fine, its the missing work that no one did. but it makes me feel exposed and easy to blame when they enivitably lose the client.

more i thnk about it, i agree with your course of action. I feel like only negative things can come about from me responsing, nothing positive can come from me escalating this to my boss at my new job, and they aren't even contacting me on official channels on my corporate email, so it seems like it might ok to not respond

Old 05-19-2019, 09:11 PM

18,876 posts, read 7,339,586 times
Quote:

I guess why im conflicted now is that i feel like the project is going to blow up.
No problem. Let it blow up.

Tell your boss the situation. Monday.

If he is receptive to you helping them, do so with a written contract at 3x your old pay rate, and not until one full week at that rate is paid to you as a deposit (bank check only), either to be used for your last 40 hours of work for them, or refunded if they pay as you work after that. This is, in essence, a contract workers security deposit.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:03 AM

2,867 posts, read 6,406,104 times
Quote:
I do agree i feel like i am enabling them. I definitely enabled them being lazy asses and cover for them when i was there.

I guess why im conflicted now is that i feel like the project is going to blow up. And I did most of the work... my work was fine, its the missing work that no one did. but it makes me feel exposed and easy to blame when they enivitably lose the client.

more i thnk about it, i agree with your course of action. I feel like only negative things can come about from me responsing, nothing positive can come from me escalating this to my boss at my new job, and they aren't even contacting me on official channels on my corporate email, so it seems like it might ok to not respond
This is like staying in contact with a toxic ex.

Who cares if it blows up? Who cares if you get blamed? You don't work there anymore.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:57 PM

2,067 posts, read 598,252 times
Surely New Boss A had to hear about at least some of this in your interview? Otherwise what reason did you give him for wanting to switch to the parent company other than "career opportunity"? And it's unusual that they wouldn't look into your track record at the child company and find out the B.S. you've been dealing with....In a way it goes way above your head and needs to be escalated in general.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:58 PM

1,550 posts, read 401,594 times
Quote:

My only concern is that they will contact my current employer and complain im not being responsive. I have a pretty well documented case as I formally complained to HR twice. But, its drama I don't want at my new job.
This seems more like a Jack Tripper story line from Three's Company.

In the real world, people ignore unwanted and unsolicited messages.

I manage a group of people. I can't imagine a former employer calling me to complain how someone who is no longer with their company isn't answering support questions from previous projects.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:00 PM

1,550 posts, read 401,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
How would you even have access to documents and files from a different employer? Just send a standard response saying you no longer work there and can no longer access those materials.
In a TV sitcom you would. Because on old TV shows all computer systems are linked together. In the real world, they wouldn't contact you at all and certainly not repeatedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or