U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 3,030 times

Advertisements

My previous job was at a company in the same family of companies.

The department I worked on was a trainwreck. It was a client focused department where we had to bill our clients for all our hours worked. We had people go on vacations for literally 3 straight weeks without taking PTO and bill the clients for hours worked. They pretty much missed all deliverables and two employees just randomly left the company one day. So, im pretty sure they got fired over it. But, it took a damn long time for anyone to take action.

Anyways, the last project that we worked on was a disaster. Extremely unprofessionally done, the other employees were "disappearead" mid project with none of their portions done, request from the client buried in their email inbox for months, etc.

I complained to HR twice about it prior to leaving. So, I was pretty clear about how I felt.

I literally did the work to the best of my ability and quickly left as I knew people were going to get fired over this.

Issue

I have been spammed via linkedin, email, and text over things that they cant find, say don't work, etc. 80% of the stuff wasn't even my responsibilities.

For example, I have gotten texted twice today, emailed twice, and contacted on linkedin by 12am.

They will ask me for **** and I will refer them to the person who literally emailed me the file. And just say " I understand but can you send me the file".

I want to be done here. I think the situation was super unethical and I have zero sympathy for them.
The situation was definitely the type of situation that gets people fired no questions asked. and I want to cease my involvement in the situation.

My only concern is that they will contact my current employer and complain im not being responsive. I have a pretty well documented case as I formally complained to HR twice. But, its drama I don't want at my new job.

What would you do? I've tried being short and to the point, but they haven't really taken the hint. It also seems like they are in cover your ass mode and are blaming **** on everyone who isn't on the team currently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 10:53 AM

8,930 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Block the numbers, filter email to spam, and don’t worry about them contacting your current employer.

As an employer, if the former employer of a new hire contacted me complaining that my new hire wasn’t being responsive to them I would laugh. You don’t work for them anymore, you have no responsibility to them, and their wants are not my concern.

If they really want to be in contact with you, have them put you on contract as a consultant. Tell them you will accept a contract for twice your previous hourly rate, billed in minimum increments of one hour. If they contact you via email, you bill them for one hour of time.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:53 AM

21,155 posts, read 11,761,610 times
How would you even have access to documents and files from a different employer? Just send a standard response saying you no longer work there and can no longer access those materials.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Block the numbers, filter email to spam, and don’t worry about them contacting your current employer.

As an employer, if the former employer of a new hire contacted me complaining that my new hire wasn’t being responsive to them I would laugh. You don’t work for them anymore, you have no responsibility to them, and their wants are not my concern.

If they really want to be in contact with you, have them put you on contract as a consultant. Tell them you will accept a contract for twice your previous hourly rate, billed in minimum increments of one hour. If they contact you via email, you bill them for one hour of time.
I would do that, but they are within the same family of companies. They operate complete independently, so its not viewed as a technical transfer, but are owned by the same company.

so its a bit more complicated if its as permissible to do that.

like I said, I genuinely did the work if it ever got escalated and I formally complained to the head of hr multiple times with lots of written records that will back me, but its drama that I don't want my new boss sniffing lol

Old 05-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,467 posts, read 1,131,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmo89 View Post
I would do that, but they are within the same family of companies. They operate complete independently, so its not viewed as a technical transfer, but are owned by the same company.

like I said, I genuinely did the work if it ever got escalated and I formally complained to the head of hr multiple times with lots of written records that will back me, but its drama that I don't want my new boss sniffing lol
This is indeed complicated. In this type of arrangement often times one of the companies and/or managers has more pull within the entire organization. Who's viewed more favorably by the parent company? Your current company/manager/department or former?

Old 05-17-2019, 11:13 AM

8,930 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmo89 View Post

Wouldn’t change my approach. If they are separately operated you should not be held responsible for the past.

If you are really worried about the interaction between the two corporations, talk to your current supervisor and ask if they are willing to have you do these tasks for your old employer on company time.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
This is indeed complicated. In this type of arrangement often times one of the companies and/or managers has more pull within the entire organization. Who's viewed more favorably by the parent company? Your current company/manager/department or former?
my current company owns my previous company. My hiring manager is higher up than my previous manager. My previous manager im 80% sure got terminated lol. so im being contacted by her boss. who is below my current manager but extremely well tenured(25 years at the company)

I was basically in a screwed up situation where a few people deserve to lose their jobs/already have and the client may be lost.

I did my best given the situation, went above and beyond on my work, and contacted HR. But, since I did so much of the work on the failed project covering for others, Im worried it makes me a target and im afraid to be involved in the aftermath

Old 05-17-2019, 11:48 AM

146 posts, read 157,687 times
Sit down with your supervisor. Explain the situation. Then ask how much of your current responsibilities need to be dedicated to your old job.

I'm pretty sure the percentage will be zero or pretty close. I'm not sure your new department would be thrilled about covering the old department's expenses related to lack of organizational skills.

Your supervisor (or you, with your supervisor on cc) need to let your old group know, in clear and unambiguous terms, that this is a closed matter and you should not be contacted about this any more.

As long as you keep responding, they will not take the hint. Need to cut the cord, cleanly, clearly, and unambiguously.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:52 AM

601 posts, read 201,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
Sit down with your supervisor. Explain the situation. Then ask how much of your current responsibilities need to be dedicated to your old job.

I'm pretty sure the percentage will be zero or pretty close. I'm not sure your new department would be thrilled about covering the old department's expenses related to lack of organizational skills.

Your supervisor (or you, with your supervisor on cc) need to let your old group know, in clear and unambiguous terms, that this is a closed matter and you should not be contacted about this any more.

As long as you keep responding, they will not take the hint. Need to cut the cord, cleanly, clearly, and unambiguously.
Excellent advice.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post

IMO, the issue isn't that they want me to do the work . I worry they are covering their ass and want a scape goat.

Who looks more guilty? The guy who did almost all the work on the project or the people who literally did nothing on the project?(even though their job responsibilities said they should of been doing a ton)

Its a tricky situation because trying to be a good employee in a ****ed up situation, I think I put made myself the easy target to blame. And since they are approaching me with trivial **** that I had no control over, it sounds like they are looking for someone to blame.

And like I said, I am confident that i created enough paper trails by filing formal complaints with HR to defend my position to my new supervisor, this is a lot of ugly drama lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or