Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 09:31 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times

Advertisements

From what I gather, it is more useful for certain career fields over others. I don't have an account, and have no intention of having an account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 09:42 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Is Linkedin overrated?

Anyone Else Hate LinkedIn?

Old 05-18-2019, 09:58 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I don't use it.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:26 AM

341 posts, read 292,951 times
I have it and have found it useful for networking since I don't waste my time on other social media (i.e. Fakebook).

I am not even looking for a job and I have recruiters or HR people contact me directly for opportunities pretty regularly. But I also have my profile completely filled out with my photo, and I have recommendations. If you look legit, you'll get legit.

Regarding a photo, I was always a little mixed about that because I don't think how someone looks should have any relevance with regard to employment opportunities unless you're applying for a job as a model or something. Unfortunately though in these times of social media run amok people seem to put a lot of importance on "image crafting", "personal branding" etc. as a competitive advantage. So although I don't like it, these are the times we live in now so that pretty much answers that question.

As with many things in life, you'll only get out of it what you put into it....

Old 05-18-2019, 02:32 PM

4,966 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
I have it and have found it useful for networking since I don't waste my time on other social media (i.e. Fakebook).

I am not even looking for a job and I have recruiters or HR people contact me directly for opportunities pretty regularly. But I also have my profile completely filled out with my photo, and I have recommendations. If you look legit, you'll get legit.

Regarding a photo, I was always a little mixed about that because I don't think how someone looks should have any relevance with regard to employment opportunities unless you're applying for a job as a model or something. Unfortunately though in these times of social media run amok people seem to put a lot of importance on "image crafting", "personal branding" etc. as a competitive advantage. So although I don't like it, these are the times we live in now so that pretty much answers that question.

As with many things in life, you'll only get out of it what you put into it....
Yes, it used to be that you were never to include a photo of yourself with your resume unless what you looked like was important to the profession like acting, modeling, TV news anchors, etc.

Now, on LinkedIn, most people put one or more photos of themselves there, so if you don't, the perception is given (rightly or wrongly) that you are ugly, very old, or look like Quasimodo. In order to avoid that perception, I put three photos there of myself. A head shot, a picture of me with my wife, and one with my sister. This gives a better impression of what I hope is a "normal" person out in LinkedIn Land.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:54 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Straight up question. Should you use it? Shouldn't you? Has anyone on the earth actually GOT anything out of using Linkedin? Or is it a charade? What has been your experience?
I use it. I constantly get messages about jobs from internal recruiters at real companies. I’ve received real job offers and turned down real offers from interviews initiated from my linked in profile.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:04 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
It's useful for corporate or niche jobs.

If you are in food service or a blue-collar job, it may not do much. If you have a niche blue collar job like working in fire suppression systems, it may be useful. If you are an HVAC guy, it's not so hot.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:30 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
My Nephews have Linkedin profiles and both are laughable. Each claim they are CEO, COO and co-founder of many companies that are made up, or never heard of anywhere. One claims to be part owner of an exclusive restaurant in a foreign country, yet depend on Grandpa to pay thier bills and support them to the point that Grandpa is broke, and now my Wife and I have to support Grandpa......can't even afford a flight from Florida to New York.....it's all a farse
That's like saying resumes are a farce because people lie on them all the time. All of the things you mentioned are easily verifiable, so potential employers will easily discover it's not true.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:02 AM

27 posts, read 20,114 times
Yes. I wrote it off at first, but I have found so many good leads there and the handful of recruiters that have reached out to me on there are leagues ahead of the ones from Indeed. The networking opportunities are fantastic. For me, the skill section is a great way to see what certain employers are looking for in certain jobs (although there is some overlap)

I think having one is an expectation of some employers nowadays.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:09 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
i have it and it's served no real purpose for me. I personally don't like it. For one, like others mentioned already, anyone can put anything on there. Skill endorsement is a joke. People that added me that i've never even met have endorsed me for certain skills.
x2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment