U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 09:02 PM

852 posts, read 1,560,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
There is a lot of jobs for CCNA and they make on average 100,000 a year roughly. It is pretty complicated for me, since you need to learn to configure them, troubleshoot them, learn the theory which is a lot, know how individual IP packets work, knowing the different cable standards, learn how to subnet ect.

Thing is, all this technical information just puts me to sleep. I also need to get 80% of the answers correct.
When I saw your first post, I thought you were at least going for a CCNP, CCNA is a pretty entry level certification for networking. No one is going to hire someone with only a CCNA certification and no experience, much less at 100K.

Have you even worked on actual hardware, not just simulators? Problems with real networks are NEVER as clean and easy to troubleshoot as what is taught.

CCNA shouldn't take you so long to do. If you have been at it for FOUR years, and still not grasping the material..it's not for you.
You have invested a lot of time, but 100's of dollars is nothing. The theory you mentioned, was cover in the first few weeks of my first year Computer Science networking class.

IMHO it's really one of those certification one gets if one already have actual experience with networking and just needed a certificate to quantify their experience to employers.

But that is just my opinion, I started out in R&D on Optical networks, and spend almost a decade at Cisco, including the team that developed the CRS line of routers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 11:40 PM

102 posts, read 42,296 times
Not trying to be mean OP, but if it's taken you this long, and you're as bored as you say you are with the training, you're most likely not going to be very good at the job even if somebody did hire you.

Do yourself a favor and find something that excites you. Even if you're not that good at it, the fact that you like it will at least keep you motivated to keep learning and improving your skills.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-19-2019, 12:18 PM

86 posts, read 33,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComoAmero View Post
Do yourself a favor and find something that excites you. Even if you're not that good at it, the fact that you like it will at least keep you motivated to keep learning and improving your skills.

Good luck to you!
I would really like to be a pilot and learn to fly if renting a plane and needing to get your private license wasn't so expensive. I am working on my art skills to see if that can bring me somewhere. I will take a career test to see what I like.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 AM

8,814 posts, read 13,305,626 times
Quote:
I would really like to be a pilot and learn to fly if renting a plane and needing to get your private license wasn't so expensive. I am working on my art skills to see if that can bring me somewhere. I will take a career test to see what I like.
I believe there are several posters (Wheelsup) who were pilots. From what they say getting a pilot's license is very expensive and a lot of the regional carriers pay <$30k annum You are probably better off getting a CDL and piloting a truck.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:13 PM

10,065 posts, read 4,671,845 times
Quote:
How much do you know about being a pilot professionally? Or even flying? Do you like it because you like what you see on TV shows or do you have actual information about it?

A lot of posters on here say something like I like X so I want to do X. But they don't really like X so much as they like the idea of doing X based on what they see on tv

Old 05-23-2019, 08:52 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
Quote:
There is a lot of jobs for CCNA and they make on average 100,000 a year roughly.
But you have to have experience to get those jobs.

There are no CCNA jobs that require no experience.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:54 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I believe there are several posters (Wheelsup) who were pilots. From what they say getting a pilot's license is very expensive and a lot of the regional carriers pay <$30k annum You are probably better off getting a CDL and piloting a truck.
They could become flight instructors. Flight schools claim to have a shortage because they keep losing flight instructors to the airlines. Then when they get enough flight hours - away to the airlines for more money.

Oh, but we got that catch-22 for that. They don't hire flight instructors without experience.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 AM

1,253 posts, read 825,898 times
IMO I wouldn't really say you are "heavily invested". Might be a different story if you had multiple degrees and certifications. However, this is not a career field I have much knowledge about so I can't really say. If you can get by financially until you figure out what you really want to do I would.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 AM

1,548 posts, read 1,282,066 times
Are you close to being done with this certification? If you're close, then don't drop out now - at least finish it. Even if it does turn out to not be the career for you. If, after 4 years, you're still at the mid-point then... it would be better to cut your losses.

I also would not put too much stock into those Myers-Briggs career suggestions. The suggestions I've always gotten from them are totally impractical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment