U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 11:54 AM

86 posts, read 33,901 times

Advertisements

I am both an artist and a student of networking (switches and routers), problem is that I have been studying for this career on and off for the past 4 years.

When I first got into it; I thought it would be fun but it is anything but that. I know that this certification was not meant for beginners and with no prior experience it was simply a major struggle for me to wrap my head around it for the first 1-2 years. Only in recent times have I gotten over that mountain everest of learning this complicated field. During the first year I probably should of went for a more "entry" and less complicated networking certification.

Probably I liked it at first but after the huge information dump and looking at a book that was bigger then the bible; it most likely killed my enjoyment. Seeing people study it for a month and passing the test to get it didn't help my motivation either. I believe I felt like I was going WAY slower then someone should be and with no end in sight; I felt like the odd one out.

I read quote one time about this sort of situation "If someone is passionate about what they are doing, they probably will excel in it as opposed to someone that is not.". It started to become obvious to me why these people were excelling in this field, because they have a passion for it and actually love it; where as I am just a dude who is studying it just because.

My girlfriend is making sure that I keep studying it. I spent 100's of dollars invested in learning this. I just don't know what to do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 01:17 PM

4,575 posts, read 6,654,180 times
Switches and routers aren't that complicated. What is your end goal? you can't get a good job just working on those.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:28 PM

86 posts, read 33,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Switches and routers aren't that complicated. What is your end goal? you can't get a good job just working on those.
There is a lot of jobs for CCNA and they make on average 100,000 a year roughly. It is pretty complicated for me, since you need to learn to configure them, troubleshoot them, learn the theory which is a lot, know how individual IP packets work, knowing the different cable standards, learn how to subnet ect.

Thing is, all this technical information just puts me to sleep. I also need to get 80% of the answers correct.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:33 PM

11,564 posts, read 13,633,619 times
100's of dollars?
Uh... i wouldn't say "heavily invested".

Old 05-17-2019, 09:51 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
I got a sense you don't know what you want to do for a living.

Take the Myers-Briggs test - free ones are available on line - then search for "jobs for INTJ's" or whatever personality type you are. You'll get a list of jobs that will ring your bell.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,552,606 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, OP, but you are not currently employed, or ever have been, yes?

What exactly do you think you are doing here?

Old 05-18-2019, 11:04 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,209,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Take the Myers-Briggs test - free ones are available on line - then search for "jobs for INTJ's" or whatever personality type you are. You'll get a list of jobs that will ring your bell.
Do this, make a decision, then take a few courses at your local community college to help solidify your interest in the field you've chosen.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:06 PM

154 posts, read 75,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
I read quote one time about this sort of situation "If someone is passionate about what they are doing, they probably will excel in it as opposed to someone that is not.".
I am not sure this is totally true. You can be passionate about football, but if you can't play it well you ain't never going to the NFL, sorry to say.

I have a tech career that I excelled in because I am good at it. However I find technology to be boring, I am not passionate about it and I never was. I stay with it because it has paid me very well over the years, and there's something to be said for having a cushy life.

Our choices really come down to what's important to us in life, and not worrying about having a roof over my head and food on the table is important to me. When I was younger I wanted to be a nightclub DJ but unless I become a megastar DJ and get a Vegas residency (which has very slim odds) I was probably going to starve to death if I went that route.

Although you might not find what you are studying to be interesting, that doesn't mean you don't have an aptitude for it or won't be good at it. But I can't tell you that, you would have to figure that out for yourself.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:18 PM

154 posts, read 75,482 times
BTW I was at a conference where Andre Agassi was speaking and he admitted that he never liked tennis, I think he even said he hated it. But he was good at it so that's what he did. So good at it he was a star player. So much for passion...

Old 05-18-2019, 04:44 PM

2,917 posts, read 1,591,544 times
What I did when I realized in my mid 20's that the career I had planned for really wasn't going to probably happen, or that I wasn't going to be particularly good at it & end up in some woebegotten dead end place... I'm not terribly disciplined & find it hard to get motivated for things I don't find some enjoyment or challenge in some way.

What I did was think about what I really enjoyed, my fantasy job, say football player, or artist, and from there figure out how to use those inclinations in some related field, say learning to do faux finishes for designers or use my visual instinct for color or composition to train in interior design or some kind of visually creative area, I guess these days it's all about computer graphics but I suspect that field is already too saturated. Television graphics, holograms, whatever opportunity comes up.

Anyway it worked for me, I spent 20 years at my job & didn't hate it at all, quite the opposite. You need to research to see what fields will grow in the future & pay decent + be willing to move to where opportunity is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment