U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 12:13 PM

5,340 posts, read 5,299,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach21 View Post
Itís not bad to change jobs after a year unless you just hold 1 job for 1 year then another for 1 year as well. That is old school thinking.
I think you are missing the point.

You've been there 1 week and questioning leaving and you were at your previous place for a short time.

A pattern is developing that is boosted by you questioning leaving after 1 week for seemingly nothing. There is nothing happening that should give you any thoughts of leaving so it is a strange thing to be considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 12:22 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times
This is the new working environment. If you are being taught something, take copious notes, put together a manual as another poster suggested. Don't be afraid to ask questions and take initiative to learn.

The worst thing you can do is nothing. Jobs like this are overwhelming, the best thing you can do jump in and keep working, eventually you'll catch on.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:38 PM

23 posts, read 10,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This is the new working environment. If you are being taught something, take copious notes, put together a manual as another poster suggested. Don't be afraid to ask questions and take initiative to learn.

The worst thing you can do is nothing. Jobs like this are overwhelming, the best thing you can do jump in and keep working, eventually you'll catch on.
Yeah, I’ve been typing up notes and changing/adding to them as I learn more. I just feel overwhelmed especially when I have all these daily/monthly accounting tasks learn while doing the mundane yet time consuming tasks. Today, I had to order lunch for the CFO and his guests again, set up the table, and clean up by myself. I think he needs his own assistant since the other executives have their own to do things like that. None of the other staff accountants have had to do that. I’ve asked some coworkers and I learned if that the person who retired or the temp did. Now I’m beginning to see why the temp may have left after being offered a permanent position there.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:52 PM

3,564 posts, read 2,390,609 times
I think you should be a little more proactive in your approach and look at things from a more positive viewpoint. You haven't given the job or yourself a fair chance. Remember the old saying "When the going gets tough, the tough get going?" Consider this to be a challenge that you will meet and be successful. Any new position is going to be overwhelming at first. You don't want to spend your life hopping from job to job just because it is not as easy as you wish it to be.

First off, you have to set the tone of your day-to-day encounters and performance on the job. You are new, they don't really know you and you don't know them. Maybe arrange an informal lunch or coffee meeting with your supervisor or a couple of the other staff accountants and pick their brains or ask for their assistance. Reach out and learn the culture of the company so that you learn who the good resource people are. This seems like an opportunity for you to prove yourself.

Can you ask one of the actual staff assistants if they would mind ordering lunch and cleaning up (and let them know you would appreciate their assistance)? Just like the CFO buttonholed you to order food, get one of them to help you. Set priorities and goals, and see them through.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:44 AM

23 posts, read 10,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I think you should be a little more proactive in your approach and look at things from a more positive viewpoint. You haven't given the job or yourself a fair chance. Remember the old saying "When the going gets tough, the tough get going?" Consider this to be a challenge that you will meet and be successful. Any new position is going to be overwhelming at first. You don't want to spend your life hopping from job to job just because it is not as easy as you wish it to be.

First off, you have to set the tone of your day-to-day encounters and performance on the job. You are new, they don't really know you and you don't know them. Maybe arrange an informal lunch or coffee meeting with your supervisor or a couple of the other staff accountants and pick their brains or ask for their assistance. Reach out and learn the culture of the company so that you learn who the good resource people are. This seems like an opportunity for you to prove yourself.

Can you ask one of the actual staff assistants if they would mind ordering lunch and cleaning up (and let them know you would appreciate their assistance)? Just like the CFO buttonholed you to order food, get one of them to help you. Set priorities and goals, and see them through.
I guess I had a perplexed look on my face because he said, ďThatís part of the job descriptionĒ when itís not what I was given. Iím going to see if this continues for 3 months and if it does, Iím going to talk to the controller.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:44 AM

1,368 posts, read 1,112,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach21 View Post
I guess I had a perplexed look on my face because he said, “That’s part of the job description” when it’s not what I was given. I’m going to see if this continues for 3 months and if it does, I’m going to talk to the controller.
OP, I wouldn't wait 3 mos to resolve this. Do it now. Why wait? Be proactive. Manage up. Put some time on the Controller's calendar to discuss training, duties, etc. You were hired to do accounting not admin work. Waiting around for 3 months is just giving more time for more frustration to set in.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:52 AM

42 posts, read 9,996 times
Im in a similar situation..... ive always been a designer and a creative but life has now put me in a position as an administrator for a small interior design and architecture company everyday i ask myself how TF did i get this job im 100% clueless and really dont know whats cutting slowly im getting the hang of things with almost 0% guidance i thinks for now its all about being pro active and acting and looking confident as if i know what im doing hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment