Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 03:10 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing a lot lately about job openings in "the trades", and how there are a shortage of qualified workers and that many trades jobs pay well. Off hand I'm thinking of plumbers, electricians, jobs in construction... what other trades jobs are there and if you work in one of those do you enjoy it to a reasonable degree?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 03:26 PM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I'm hearing a lot lately about job openings in "the trades", and how there are a shortage of qualified workers and that many trades jobs pay well. Off hand I'm thinking of plumbers, electricians, jobs in construction... what other trades jobs are there and if you work in one of those do you enjoy it to a reasonable degree?

Thanks!
I don’t but my fiancé does tile installation. He always needs help and it’s hard to find. It’s a very hard job physically, they have to carry slabs of marble and granite often in new office buildings where elevators aren’t even in yet. Often they have to work overnight when they do a bathroom or something in an already up and running restaurant or office building because they want it done when no one is there.

I think it looks tedious, especially intricate patterns, but he likes it and it’s well paid. It’s obvious how proud he is of the jobs that are intricate, he sends me pics while he’s working. It’s nice to see results of your labor right away. He does a little residential but mostly commercial. Commercial pays more but is harder I think. On the other hand dealing with residential customers is probably more difficult (in any trade).

Old 04-30-2019, 10:44 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t but my fiancé does tile installation. He always needs help and it’s hard to find. It’s a very hard job physically, they have to carry slabs of marble and granite often in new office buildings where elevators aren’t even in yet. Often they have to work overnight when they do a bathroom or something in an already up and running restaurant or office building because they want it done when no one is there.

I think it looks tedious, especially intricate patterns, but he likes it and it’s well paid. It’s obvious how proud he is of the jobs that are intricate, he sends me pics while he’s working. It’s nice to see results of your labor right away. He does a little residential but mostly commercial. Commercial pays more but is harder I think. On the other hand dealing with residential customers is probably more difficult (in any trade).
Good for him! There's something to be said for pride in a job well done. Plus, he doesn't need to join a gym.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
I think trade jobs are wonderful. You can make a very nice living and there is always a demand for the services they provide.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Good for him! There's something to be said for pride in a job well done. Plus, he doesn't need to join a gym.

Yes, but he gets a lot of issues with his neck and back. I think these jobs keep you in shape in terms of muscles and endurance, but it's hard on your joints and has a limited span you can do it. He's 50 now and I am hoping he can make another 15 years or so, lol. Like I said in the opening post, he often needs helpers and ends up sometimes working alone, including getting all the tile into the building. It makes me worry, and those nights he comes home exhausted. My 16 year old great-nephew just starting helping him on weekends (yes OP you will work weekends in some trades, like I said sometimes they need the work done while the business is closed), and if he sticks with it and learns he will have a skill he can always use.

I don't think it's a bad idea for someone to ask someone they know who works in the trades, if they need any helpers or can apprentice with them.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:17 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Yes, but he gets a lot of issues with his neck and back. I think these jobs keep you in shape in terms of muscles and endurance, but it's hard on your joints and has a limited span you can do it. He's 50 now and I am hoping he can make another 15 years or so, lol.
Not saying this is the case, but a lot of construction and finish laborers are reluctant to use something as simple as a hand truck. They could carry an 80-pound crate of tile when they were 20, bygod they're going to do it now.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:00 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
As far as your body aging you out of a job, sometimes you can take your practical experience and use it in a less phyiscally demanding way. My Son in law was an electrician for many years (made excellent money BTW for a guy with only a HS education). He now sits in an office and reviews building plans and decides what sort of supplies they’ll need and how they are going to do the work to get the desired results.

Or you can be like a plumber I knew almost 50 years ago when he often came into a restaurant I worked at. He started his own business and grew it into one of the biggest plumbing firms in the Kansas City area. He’s not getting cozy with pipes and toilets anymore. He’s making TV commercials.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Not saying this is the case, but a lot of construction and finish laborers are reluctant to use something as simple as a hand truck. They could carry an 80-pound crate of tile when they were 20, bygod they're going to do it now.

Yes, I keep telling him to let the young guys do the heavy lifting, but he's reluctant to look like an "old man" in front of them. Men, lol.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:42 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I'm a HVAC service technician; I have to be proficient with electrical, controls, welding, plumbing, and general mechanics.

And I really enjoy my job most days. I get a tremendous sense of satisfaction when I leave my customer's site and their chiller is back up and running. As a unionized technician, I get good pay, great benefits, and and solid protections from bad managers.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:52 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
On the other hand dealing with residential customers is probably more difficult (in any trade).
Dealing with homeowners is always terrible. I was able to move into commercial/industrial HVAC work after about 4 years in the trade, and I'm glad I did; I don't think I hated anything worse that dealing with a person's filth to get their heat working only to have them try to cheat me out of the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment