U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 10:03 AM

24 posts, read 10,314 times

Advertisements

I started a new job last week as a Staff Accountant. I’m starting on my 2nd week. I like the company and the people...but this is the first time I feel lost. I know that feeling of being clueless is normal and I’ve felt it before, but I feel it more so with this job than other jobs I’ve had. The job I have is replacing someone who retired before I started..The Controller is the only one who knows some of the duties that the person did and some of the steps of the tasks but not everything. She will occasionally sit with me to briefly show me things here and there but she doesn’t have all day to sit with me. In the mean time, she has me doing a lot of administrative work. So the tasks I’ve been taught are all over the place and I have been shown once...I feel like I’m not doing anything but administrative work. The Controller said the person who retired would come in some days at the end of May and beginning of June to train me. Should I start looking for something else or stick it out and see what happens?

Last edited by Lifeisabeach21; 05-20-2019 at 10:35 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 AM

613 posts, read 268,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach21 View Post
I started a new job last week as a Staff Accountant. I’m starting on my 2nd week. I like the company and the people...but I know that feeling of being clueless is normal and I’ve felt it before, but I feel it more so with this job than other jobs I’ve had. The job I have is replacing someone who retired before I started..The Controller is the only one who knows some of the duties that the person did and some of the steps of the tasks but not everything. She will occasionally sit with me to briefly show me things here and there but she doesn’t have all day to sit with me. In the mean time, she has me doing a lot of administrative work. So the tasks I’ve been taught are all over the place and have been shown once...I feel like I’m not doing anything but administrative work. The Controller said the person who retired would come in some days at the end of May and beginning of June to train me. Should I start looking for something else or stick it out and see what happens?
This is pretty normal.

I would give myself some time to learn what type of accounting work the company needs and how my position fits into the department's goals before deciding if I should move on.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 05-20-2019 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-20-2019, 10:21 AM

28,501 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Quote:
I started a new job last week....
The Controller is the only one who knows some of the duties that...
...the tasks Iíve been taught are all over the place and...

Should I ...?
Talk to your supervisor about creating a job manual.
Start with a list of the various responsibilities.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:29 AM

645 posts, read 241,738 times
Quote:
....The Controller said the person who retired would come in some days at the end of May and beginning of June to train me. Should I start looking for something else or stick it out and see what happens?
Absolutely stick around, especially for when your predecessor comes in to review their previous duties with you.

I wouldn't throw in the towel so soon.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:21 PM

959 posts, read 362,646 times
I just posted on this same thing...sink or swim. I'm starting my 4th week and it is getting much better! If you enjoy the people you work with, then that is half the battle. Stick it out for at least a month before making a decision. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2019, 06:34 PM

17,287 posts, read 10,206,664 times
You only spent approximately a year and a half at your previous job, and now you are thinking of leaving after only a week?

How to deal with PIP?

Old 05-21-2019, 08:45 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,992,346 times
Quote:
I started a new job last week as a Staff Accountant. Iím starting on my 2nd week. I like the company and the people...but this is the first time I feel lost. I know that feeling of being clueless is normal and Iíve felt it before, but I feel it more so with this job than other jobs Iíve had. The job I have is replacing someone who retired before I started..The Controller is the only one who knows some of the duties that the person did and some of the steps of the tasks but not everything. She will occasionally sit with me to briefly show me things here and there but she doesnít have all day to sit with me. In the mean time, she has me doing a lot of administrative work. So the tasks Iíve been taught are all over the place and I have been shown once...I feel like Iím not doing anything but administrative work. The Controller said the person who retired would come in some days at the end of May and beginning of June to train me. Should I start looking for something else or stick it out and see what happens?
What are we talking about here? Is this training on a specific tool (software application?), a procedures/process within the dept (what I would label as intrinsic knowledge), or something related to the fundamentals of accounting?

If it's a specific tool - I'd start looking at help pages or manuals. If it's intrinsic knowledge - I'd start scheduling times with your manager if that is feasible (maybe an hour a day) to go over stuff. This way, when the person you replaced comes back, it will make both your lives easier. This is also an opportunity to strut your stuff if you have a solid background in accounting. You may have a better way of doing something or can bring fresh ideas to the table. Finally - if you are being brought on more as an entry level person, I'd start hitting up your more experienced co-workers as well as your manager. Start being a sponge.

Bottom line - be proactive in obtaining that knowledge. Yes - in an ideal world, you'd be getting that training spoon fed to you. But that's not exactly how it will always work. Take the initiative to understand your role.

Just my .02.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:01 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,858,228 times
Ask for help, don't wait to be shown.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You only spent approximately a year and a half at your previous job, and now you are thinking of leaving after only a week?

How to deal with PIP?
Itís not bad to change jobs after a year unless you just hold 1 job for 1 year then another for 1 year as well. That is old school thinking.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

How to deal with PIP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
What are we talking about here? Is this training on a specific tool (software application?), a procedures/process within the dept (what I would label as intrinsic knowledge), or something related to the fundamentals of accounting?

If it's a specific tool - I'd start looking at help pages or manuals. If it's intrinsic knowledge - I'd start scheduling times with your manager if that is feasible (maybe an hour a day) to go over stuff. This way, when the person you replaced comes back, it will make both your lives easier. This is also an opportunity to strut your stuff if you have a solid background in accounting. You may have a better way of doing something or can bring fresh ideas to the table. Finally - if you are being brought on more as an entry level person, I'd start hitting up your more experienced co-workers as well as your manager. Start being a sponge.

Bottom line - be proactive in obtaining that knowledge. Yes - in an ideal world, you'd be getting that training spoon fed to you. But that's not exactly how it will always work. Take the initiative to understand your role.

Just my .02.
This is in relation to software and procedures within the position itself. They have their own proprietary software and there was no training manual or procedures left from the person before. From what I’ve been told, the person who I replaced spent a lot of time training a temp and that temp left before I came as well. I’ve been asking around and most people give me the deer in the headlights look. I ask the controller as much as I can..If she’s busy (which a lot of the time she is), then she’ll give me a lot of administrative work. Sometimes the CFO will have me order lunch for him and guests. It makes me feel more like an administrative assistant than a staff accountant.

Last edited by Lifeisabeach21; 05-21-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment