U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:43 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
+1 exactly how I feel. To me, management should accelerate hiring to backfill roles rather than just promoting first
Lets remember, your manager wasn't in the role until recently, and probably did not know s/he was going to get the job. There was no opportunity to backfill.

Give your new manager time to work this out. It is an unreasonable expectation to have a new manager and coworker on the same day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 PM

1,677 posts, read 550,083 times
I'd expect him to keep helping out on the day to day until the old duties can be transitioned to other people and/or a new hire. If he point blank stopped doing anything the second he was promoted, there's an issue.

Generally speaking, any manager who refuses to get in the weeds every once in a while and help their staff during busy times are poor managers.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:34 PM

18,858 posts, read 7,332,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
He shouldn't be doing his old job because he isn't in it any more. He should he doing his new one. As a manager he has different tasks than he had before. If he were to continue doing his old job, the new one wouldnt get done.
His first task should be filling his old role. It reports to him now. Its his responsibility to see it gets filled.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:48 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
His first task should be filling his old role. It reports to him now. Its his responsibility to see it gets filled.
His first task is to make sure the work gets done. We don't know how big OP's department is, the nature of the work, or how easy it will be to find a replacement. Without knowing all of those things, plus some details of company policy and procedure, anything said on this board is pretty much talking out of your rear end.

If the department is large enough, spreading the work around to others will probably be fine. If there are things that can be deferred without significant impact, that can be done as well. The new manager can keep a few responsibilities for a short time.

This really isn't any different than if OP or his colleague had quit or gone on vacation, rather than having the colleague get promoted. When staffing shortages occur, there are a number of ways to deal with them. The comments on this board that the newly promoted manager should fill all the functions of his old role are simply offbase.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:07 PM

3,756 posts, read 2,121,985 times
Oh surprise. Another company where management isn’t held accountable for anything or required to any work at all. . Get out. It won’t get any better. Maybe you luck out and find a place where management is held accountable for something.... probably not though

Where I work all the management enjoy cushy positions working from home. Lord knows what they do all day. Probably nothing of any real value outside of spouting BS in meetings

It’s not hard to see why most people out of college just want to join the “fast track to management” these days.

Last edited by DorianRo; 05-20-2019 at 05:23 PM..

Old 05-20-2019, 05:09 PM

3,964 posts, read 1,693,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not necessarily. He might be a manager but he might not be a hiring manager. At my last job and even in my current job, there are very few people who play a role in requesting new employees. I think in my current office we have two people who can request new employees and in my last unit it was the unit head. My direct supervisor had no authority to make hires, although he was involved in the interviewing.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:16 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
I don't know if culture may be part of the problem, but I had a co-worker at one point from India and once she was promoted to a more senior position, she refused to do any of her previous work, even though American workers would pull together to meet a deadline - even if it meant doing work beneath one's normal station. It became a real problem.

I completely understand where she was coming from and that in her world it was really difficult to understand that sometimes in America, people who normally are above stuffing envelopes sometimes need to do that so that the company can meet a deadline, so everyone in the company can prosper -- but -- it can cause problems.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 PM

17,253 posts, read 10,183,539 times
Time to find another job

Second company in a row where my hiring manager leaves within a month of me joining and replaced by someone incompetent

Old 05-20-2019, 06:46 PM

18,858 posts, read 7,332,083 times
I second find a new job, OP.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:48 PM

1,677 posts, read 550,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
When staffing shortages occur, there are a number of ways to deal with them. The comments on this board that the newly promoted manager should fill all the functions of his old role are simply offbase.
A manager that is never willing to temporarily help with the roles of people beneath him/her is a poor manager.

A person promoted who is unwilling to do their old job as at least part of a transition plan, and is unwilling to answer questions for the people who picked up the old work is a poor employee.

That's not to say the manager should do two jobs, because they shouldn't, but an unwillingness to help with the work of people who work for them is the sign of a poor manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or