Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who finds it weird that anyone expects a manager to do the same job as one of their underlings? I'm a supervisor, and I do the work plus organize people. Different role than manager.

My manager was promoted into her position. She helps out when we get slammed, but she's getting paid to do managerial tasks, not work hands on anymore. Honestly, my team finds it kind of annoying sometimes when she breezes into our office and "helps", but I think she misses it sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 08:27 AM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Am I the only one who finds it weird that anyone expects a manager to do the same job as one of their underlings? I'm a supervisor, and I do the work plus organize people. Different role than manager.

My manager was promoted into her position. She helps out when we get slammed, but she's getting paid to do managerial tasks, not work hands on anymore. Honestly, my team finds it kind of annoying sometimes when she breezes into our office and "helps", but I think she misses it sometimes.
I would not expect a manager to do the daily tasks of one of his/her subordinates. HOWEVER, I would fully expect that person to know how to and to be able to do those tasks if needed in an emergency. I haven't seen that any of my previous two managers have been able to do anything that we can do, nor could you even go to them for job-related questions. They simply throw their hands up and delegate to the rest of us.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
I think the blame here is on those who promoted this guy to the manager position. They didn't fill the empty job. If I were the OP, I would go to that level and inquire when this position is going to be filled since there is no longer anyone to do those tasks.

I am the manager where I work. I don't do the same things those under me do. I am responsible to make sure they have what they need, when they need it to do their jobs. I do all the ordering, scheduling, expense reports for my department, deal with customers who have issues beyond what the staff is comfortable dealing with, tech support, inventory, hiring, quality control, planning, process development. When needed I will absolutely jump in as part of the team. I spend time making sure the staff knows how much I value them. I just had staff and their families to our home for a rib eye steak dinner complete with childcare so parents could eat undisturbed. This is something I try to do quarterly. Managers can be good and work hard - just want y'all to know that

Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

Like I stated, its no secret why most kids come out of college and within a year "fast track" their way to management as soon as possible.

Organization structure these days, is a select few do ALL the work while management sits back, collects a big paycheck and does nothing and not br held accountable for anything. If management wasn't such a "cushy deal" this day in age, you wouldn't have so many people quickly wanting to join those ranks.

The guy cleaning the crappers or stocking shelves is held to a greater degree of accountability than any manager Ive seen these days
How many years of management experience do you have that you're leaning on to say this?

Old 05-21-2019, 11:50 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
His reasoning = I'm a manager now, I need to manage which is delegating. I quote "I'm not suppose to do any of the individual contributor role tasks anymore so I'm passing it along"
Funny how the supervisor I have, was brought in as a supervisor. After 2.5 years he's started to learn the techs position so he can free them up for more critical work and answers the alarms when he can.

However, I'd agree that this manager is working the position right. You don't have a CEO help out in shipping (Even if that's where he trained first) he's got a huge plate now and has to deal with it all...Not just "That one area"

Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM

658 posts, read 723,767 times
Delegation is good...when there are enough people in the team to do the work. If there is a shortage in staff, managers should also roll their sleeves up and do the work to share the load. In the end, if the results aren't in, the manager is ultimately held responsible. The employees will also be accountable.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:33 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I would not expect a manager to do the daily tasks of one of his/her subordinates. HOWEVER, I would fully expect that person to know how to and to be able to do those tasks if needed in an emergency. I haven't seen that any of my previous two managers have been able to do anything that we can do, nor could you even go to them for job-related questions. They simply throw their hands up and delegate to the rest of us.
Then you have a very narrow and unrealistic idea of what a manager is.

Let’s look at a municipal transit system. There will be bus drivers, diesel mechanics, cleaning staff, building maintenance people, accountants, purchasing, HR, and probably a couple of other work groups. Each group could conceivably have a manager, who probably knows many tasks of that group, but probably not all. Those work groups are inevitably grouped into divisions, say mechanics, maintenance and custodial, another for accounting, HR, and purchasing. No manager will know everything within the division.

Managers are not doing the same job as their workers. They need to know what their reports do, and more knowledge is generally better, but they do not need to know how to do each job. That simply isn’t possible.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:08 PM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Let’s look at a municipal transit system. There will be bus drivers, diesel mechanics, cleaning staff, building maintenance people, accountants, purchasing, HR, and probably a couple of other work groups. Each group could conceivably have a manager, who probably knows many tasks of that group, but probably not all. Those work groups are inevitably grouped into divisions, say mechanics, maintenance and custodial, another for accounting, HR, and purchasing. No manager will know everything within the division.

Managers are not doing the same job as their workers. They need to know what their reports do, and more knowledge is generally better, but they do not need to know how to do each job. That simply isn’t possible.
I'm talking about a manager of a team, not a CEO level who is in charge of hundreds/thousands of employees. But nice attempt at snark, I like it!

I've been a manager and AM a manager, so I have a VERY realistic and wide view of what it takes to be a successful one. Knowing how to answer basic questions about your team, tasks and what the roles are below you are essential to being a well-rounded manager. Knowing how to train someone reporting to you is important too.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

They must be willing to help, though. Let's say someone manages bus drivers, mechanics and cleaning staff. Let's say there's an accident on the job that requires overtime by the mechanics and cleaning staff. If that manager sits back and lets them work extra without offering to help because it's "not in a manager's job description" then they are a poor manager. They won't know how to do everything, but they need to have a functional knowledge of what the people directly under them do, and need to have a willingness to step in if needed.

Often a good manager stepping in is asking their team how they can help, what roadblocks they can get out of the way. We should never be the kind of manager who philosophically say they won't help with the tasks because it's not a manager's job.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:07 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
+1 exactly how I feel. To me, management should accelerate hiring to backfill roles rather than just promoting first
What did the previous manager do? Many managers don't do "work" or they consult with their reports and offer advice but don't have their own projects since their job is now to manage. Usually that means a ton of meetings that eat up time. Anyway, you don't get to question your manager (much).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment