U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 AM

15 posts, read 2,379 times

Advertisements

Can't believe I forgot to mention that the engineering program in question is an MS in Mechanical engineering. And it's really the only engineering program I could apply to since it's designed for people who did not major in engineering as undergrads. And from its employment stats it seems like a pretty safe bet, given that it's a program from Boston University.

If anyone has experience, in terms of employability, which group does better? Financial analyst types or engineers? And I should have mentioned it but for finance I'd likely go down the corporate finance route given that I despise investment banking, hedge funds, etc.

I'll admit a good bit of my career decisions gravitate around salary and prestige but not entirely, if that were the case I would have simply chose dentistry and moved on since the average dentist likely makes more than the average finance/engineering worker. I'm definitely gonna take that personality assessment though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 07:17 AM

4,815 posts, read 1,986,314 times
Dentistry.

Advantages: potential to be your own boss. They can't send your job to India.

Disadvantages: Dental plans vary in quality and you may need a full time employee just to manage collection. Inflicting pain causes depression for those who don't enjoy it.

One question: Don't dentists need to have an MD before they become dentists?

Old 05-22-2019, 07:27 AM

My dexterity is solid. I spend a lot of my time building gundam models, sharpening chef knives by hand, and wood carving. All the while managing not slice my hand to ribbons.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Dentistry.

Advantages: potential to be your own boss. They can't send your job to India.

Disadvantages: Dental plans vary in quality and you may need a full time employee just to manage collection. Inflicting pain causes depression for those who don't enjoy it.

One question: Don't dentists need to have an MD before they become dentists?

Not sure about other countries but in the US, they don't. Dental school and medical school are separate 4 year institutions

Old 05-22-2019, 07:50 AM

8,604 posts, read 3,032,047 times
Your witching skills probably won't be very useful in the job market.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Your witching skills probably won't be very useful in the job market.

witching?

Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 AM

8,604 posts, read 3,032,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraltofsnivia View Post
witching?
Never mind, I guess... Geralt.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 AM

520 posts, read 625,581 times
Aside from what I mentioned earlier, basically don't bother with engineering anymore outside civil which is doing well. All friends and past classmates that are civil engineering are doing well. Mechanical is mixed, some jobs ok, some just doing paperwork for overseas where the job is done. EE is gone all outside USA as when is last electronic product still made in US that you saw? I know some people in finance, and the high end jobs are big time, but the rest may not be and give a sour taste. I would do dentistry, you can specialize too to give better hours and so on, not so on others.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:24 AM

Wow that went right over my head -_-

Old 05-22-2019, 08:30 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,561,293 times
to be honest no one these are amazing job prospect.

Dentistry is great but I know dentist who have bad back from hunching over patients all day. Most dentist are small business owner & if you are not good at running your business on top of being a dentist or hire the right people, you might lose out on lot of money. I also have a friend who worked for some of these small business dentist & they never paid her. It is not the strongest medical field. Of course if you are lucky and join a good practice with amazing office manager, then you are set

Engineering is tough and with non-engineering background, I don't know if its worth it. Most engineers don't bother getting master degree & end up with MBA instead because the difference between BS and MS isn't huge in engineering world. You coming in as non-engineer will most likely get opportunities that someone with BS in Engineering got. So is it worth getting MS to get BS opportunity? There is jobs in the field and you have to climb it.

Finance is another tricky career situation. some people get lucky and find the right jobs while others struggle for years. If you take this route, you have to put in 110% in college to get those internships & experience and really utilize your communication skills to make yourself stand out from the crowd. If you have the ambition, I think this is good place to put the effort in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or