U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 01:09 PM

4,645 posts, read 3,701,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraltofsnivia View Post
I actually just took the 10 dollar career test and I was listed as an ICR type -- investigative, conventional, and realistic. Honestly, I don't think I'd fit in as a dentist given what a social career it is. But given my undergraduate major in natural science, and the fact that I enjoy working with technology in general, I think bioinformatics might be a good career choice for me. But I can definitely see myself as an analyst in a finance role too. I think in general I'd prefer a job that lets me work with and analyze data. I'm not shy either, so while I might be introverted I have no qualms whatsoever discussing results with coworkers higher-ups, or even giving full blown presentations.
That would be my take on your being an ICR. I'm assuming you took a look at the list of other careers suggested in the report. The other things you should look at are things listed in the report and on O*Net Online like the education required for these careers, career prospects for the future, earnings, etc. And being introverted doesn't mean you can't extrovert when a job requires it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 01:18 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,335,852 times
why go into a master's program at all? Are you being honest with yourself about your reasons? If you're just looking to prolong these big decisions in a career, I would encourage you to get out there. You're 25 and still young enough to get your foot in the door at a decent company with your bachelor's. I work in financial services doing risk management and absolutely love it. You can make six figures pretty easily if you apply yourself, take stretch assignments and learn quickly. By taking the extra couple of years to go back to school you're really putting yourself further and further behind career-wise (also for retirement savings). At 25, I already had 5 years of solid corporate experience and was well on my way.. I would really encourage you to just get out there and get a job. I work with a lot of people who don't have a bachelor's in business or finance- many have unrelated degrees such as history, psychology, tech etc (of course there are still a decent amount who did finance or business).
best of luck.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:31 PM

15 posts, read 2,379 times
Most careers nowadays want that extra training. I searched listings on indeed and any finance related career often lists having some type of business/finance/accounting degree as a prerequisite. Honestly, I see the master's as a way to pick up a credential that means something to employers. And I do agree with you. Ideally, I know that I could learn all this stuff on my own or through online courses. But having a name from a fancy university does open their eyes it seems

Old 05-27-2019, 06:32 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,194,052 times
Engineering has good starting salary but also a high layoff rate. Dentistry more secure but also competitive. Finance is good because demand for financial experts actually increases during bad times.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Most careers nowadays want that extra training. I searched listings on indeed and any finance related career often lists having some type of business/finance/accounting degree as a prerequisite. Honestly, I see the master's as a way to pick up a credential that means something to employers. And I do agree with you. Ideally, I know that I could learn all this stuff on my own or through online courses. But having a name from a fancy university does open their eyes it seems
Depends on the field whether a Master's is a plus or not. Couldn't tell you about finance careers - again, see what O*Net Online says the recommended level of training is for a given career. That's a government maintained site and tends to have reliable information.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:37 PM

6,971 posts, read 3,865,840 times
Quote:
So does experience and you get paid to collect experience while you pay to collect degrees. It's what you should have been doing since you got your degree.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:21 AM

15 posts, read 2,379 times
Thanks, that assessment was actually very helpful

Old 05-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks, that assessment was actually very helpful
You're welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or