U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 12:50 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,905,626 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Do I go for the maximum amount the position pays, or just beneath? I am the top producer and have taken the initiative to begin, complete and implement a project they've been talking about doing for years. I've only been with the company for seven months but the new position comes with a lot more opportunity.

My boss who has been there for at least 10 years gets at least 5 weeks vacation per year. I get the PTO that I earn which is about one day per month and that includes sick time...I think.

When negotiating do I ask for more vacation time? Can I ask for more than what I heard from others is the cap in regards to salary, or be humble and ask for just under while negotiating? I'm tired of getting just the middle salary. Can they fire me for asking for too much, or just withdraw the offer?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 12:57 AM

8,933 posts, read 8,400,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Hi,

Do I go for the maximum amount the position pays, or just beneath? I am the top producer and have taken the initiative to begin, complete and implement a project they've been talking about doing for years. I've only been with the company for seven months but the new position comes with a lot more opportunity.

My boss who has been there for at least 10 years gets at least 5 weeks vacation per year. I get the PTO that I earn which is about one day per month and that includes sick time...I think.

When negotiating do I ask for more vacation time? Can I ask for more than what I heard from others is the cap in regards to salary, or be humble and ask for just under while negotiating? I'm tired of getting just the middle salary. Can they fire me for asking for too much, or just withdraw the offer?

Thanks!
A company CAN do anything, including firing you for asking for too much. That is really, really unlikely, so I wouldnít worry about it.

New positions are the best time to negotiate compensation. Most companies are unlikely to negotiate vacation with existing employees, but you could try. Just donít count on it.

For pay, why be humble? Try for 10 or 15% more than you want. You wonít be able to negotiate up from the lowest number you throw out, any negotiations will only go down, so give yourself wiggle room. Typically a 10% ask isnít going to worry anybody much.

If you currently make $50k, and the new position pays $65k, definitely ask for $70k. Worst case you get the $65, but you might get $68.

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:21 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,905,626 times
Thank you for your sound advice! I agree with you completely but thought I may as well ask. I failed to mention it is a non-profit I'm there to get the non-profit experience and move up. I have spoken to the powers that be there and there is no real upward mobility for where I am it... so it is already assumed I am there for another year or year and a half.
Thanks!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:56 PM

1,547 posts, read 400,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Thank you for your sound advice! I agree with you completely but thought I may as well ask. I failed to mention it is a non-profit I'm there to get the non-profit experience and move up. I have spoken to the powers that be there and there is no real upward mobility for where I am it... so it is already assumed I am there for another year or year and a half.
Thanks!
Doesn't matter it is a non-profit. There are people who have a salary of millions a year who work at non-profits. The only time to truly negotiate is when they are interested in hiring you. After that, they have a huge list of excuses of why they can't pay you more and continue to string you along, cause you are already working there.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:16 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,400,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Doesn't matter it is a non-profit. There are people who have a salary of millions a year who work at non-profits. The only time to truly negotiate is when they are interested in hiring you. After that, they have a huge list of excuses of why they can't pay you more and continue to string you along, cause you are already working there.
I completely agree. I work for state government, which is also a non-profit. I am a skilled professional, and if they want my services, they need to pay market rate. Typically the state lags market rate, but makes up in benefits, which is ok by me.

Non-profit simply means that any revenues in excess of expenses goes back into the company rather than being paid to shareholders as income/equity/dividends. It doesnít necessarily mean the employees have to accept less, although occasionally management does view paying employees as secondary to mission.

It is your call as an individual to determine whether the mission of your employer is more important than your livelihood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or