U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 12:33 PM

63 posts, read 33,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think it all depends how badly you want that last check.

Where I work, I'm pretty sure I'd be expected to do something similar. If I was quitting because I won the lottery...well, they'll just have to figure things out for themselves.

If it's because of a new job, or because I need that last check, than I'll retrain someone else, write up proceduals...whatever they need.
Ha! Your employer does NOT have the option of not paying you for your last two weeks or any unused and accrued vacation time.

Honestly, I'm surprised by the number of responses that believe that companies own you. If you need references, use someone you've built a great relationship working with...not your boss. If you don't agree with an unreasonable request from your boss, you have the right to say so....in any situation! This whole bending over backwards nonsense for a company that doesn't deserve it is honestly very old fashioned. You know...back when companies treated employees with respect and dignity and knew that they were the backbone to their organization. That period is long over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 01:04 PM

1,683 posts, read 552,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
Yeah...I would never ask my supervisor for a reference....ever. How is giving two weeks notice, but not writing a complete workbook about my job, flipping off my employer? It is also bad policy to micromanage your staff and treat them like 5 year olds.
It's not only flipping off your company, it's flipping off whomever they hire to replace you, who has done nothing wrong to you.

Being vindictive never helped anyone's career.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:09 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,660,435 times
Those who say not to help or do the bare minimum come across as bitter

You didn't get a manual when you started so now you won't make one? You didn't get one because the person before you thought the same and left you with nothing. Why not make a manual so they won't have to reinvent the wheel?

You should be helping delegate the heavy workload so the remaining people can handle it when you leave. No reason you need to keep doing the same work and acting like you aren't going to be there after 2 weeks. Make the transition as smooth as you can because that's the decent thing to do.

The ones that say why be decent to a company? Because you aren't doing it for the company, you do it because of the people you worked with. Companies don't hire people, the people working for them hire them. Burn your bridges if you want but people get around over time and you eventually run into the same people throughout a career.

The spiteful resentment is the reason you guys love to complain about and you are adding to it. Oh poor me, I make so much less than the CEO so I shouldn't be expected to have my own personal integrity? Since when did your integrity depend on a sliding scale of if you liked your employer or not?

Old 05-22-2019, 01:10 PM

7,119 posts, read 2,921,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
I am in a background check process with a new company and waiting for the go ahead that everything is clear and it's ok to give my two weeks notice. I have an insane micromanaging supervisor, which is a big part of why I'm leaving. I have a feeling she is going to ask me to put together a manual before I leave detailing step by step everything I do and my schedule. She's done it in the past to a colleague. Have you ever been asked to do this? Did you actually do it? Do you think you owe it to an employer to do this for them? Heck, at this point they're lucky I even give them two weeks notice.
One simple way to preempt a request like this is to take a good long look at your job description or performance plan. It SHOULD list what you do, have done, are currently working on. It might also become part of an exit interview if your firm does that. It is kind of fulfilling to summarize what you've accomplished at a job if you've been there some time anyway, if for no one but yourself. You could re-format it with some notes about procedural stuff and hand that to her as a manual...the shocked look on her face might be worth it!

Old 05-22-2019, 01:21 PM

793 posts, read 438,117 times
I sort of had to do this when I got laid off from my church secretary job. Mostly I had to sit down with the church's then-pastor, and show her where things were organized on my computer.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 PM

63 posts, read 33,035 times
Thanks everyone. To those who like to pontificate and shame, please know that you've now convinced me to just ghost the company and not even give notice. Methinks there are quite a few bad managers here who have had that exact thing happen to them....but just don't understand why. Trust me...a lot of the readers on the site know why.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 PM

9,215 posts, read 8,298,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think it all depends how badly you want that last check.

Nope, that is highly illegal for a company not to pay you. Too easy to prove you did work. Plus, they end up having to pay, paying a dollar for dollar for fines, then a dollar for dollar for interest. So that $1000 paycheck costs the company $3000.

I had an employer try and do this to me and were quickly disabused of this idea.

To the OP.

HELL NO!!! Explain that your first priority is to finish your actual job and that if they would like to shadow you for the next two weeks and they write the manual, you would be happy to have them shadow you.

No apologies, no I'm sorry, just no.

Don't offer to help your boss write the manual either. Don't or you will get stuck doing it.

No, nope, no thanks.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:28 PM

4,887 posts, read 1,222,844 times
I always do this to be helpful. I have had at least two jobs where no one did this, once as a job and once in a volunteer situation. It didn't feel too great so I did it to be nice. I don't think it's mandatory or anything but why burn the bridge?

Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM

8,945 posts, read 8,403,847 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Asking for a transition plan of some sort, upto and including a manual, is a very reasonable request, as long as you can fit it into regular work hours. If they want it in addition to your 40, then no. If they want you to do all if your regular tasks as well as this, then no. If they want you to stay longer than you want or are contractually obligated to, then no.

If this is what they want from you as your final 80 hours, then why not do it?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-22-2019 at 10:08 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 01:38 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
I would do a basic outline or template. There's no need for you spell out everything line-item by line-item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or