U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 01:47 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,112,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Just do the outlined, "Cliff Notes" version and don't sweat it if you can't anything done beyond that.
This ^^. I wouldn't do anything more than this. You don't owe them anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 05:13 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,484,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
Thanks everyone. To those who like to pontificate and shame, please know that you've now convinced me to just ghost the company and not even give notice. Methinks there are quite a few bad managers here who have had that exact thing happen to them....but just don't understand why. Trust me...a lot of the readers on the site know why.

Welp, ok then.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-22-2019 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Corrected technical glitch in quote.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:44 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,716,925 times
Quote:
Let me say this one more time. This isn't about spite. This isn't because I'm lazy. And I sure as hell wouldn't sabotage them. Even with her horrible micromanaging, I don't dislike my boss personally. I just don't want to work for her anymore. I'm thinking about the massive project this became for my colleague, all the while getting her work done in a very busy time of the month. She was even asked to stay on for an additional week to finish it, which she did. I don't think I'm willing to do that, and I shouldn't feel any shame for that.
Quote:
Thanks everyone. To those who like to pontificate and shame, please know that you've now convinced me to just ghost the company and not even give notice. Methinks there are quite a few bad managers here who have had that exact thing happen to them....but just don't understand why. Trust me...a lot of the readers on the site know why.
HMMM. Good bit of contradiction here. Sounds like you justified in your own mind what you wanted all along.

So if they are paying you, why precisely is it you don't want to write it?

Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 PM

1,862 posts, read 716,497 times
This happened to me in the 1980s. I turned in my notice and management told me in no uncertain terms that I was to write a procedures manual and that I was going to basically live in the office until it was done. I was already putting in 60 to 90 hour workweeks, but they wanted even more. There was no one in the office who could do my work. Management had failed to train any backup people who could do my job. Basic stupidity on their part and I wasn't going to pay for that mistake. Especially since I was no longer under their control anymore and they didn't pay for overtime work.

So I told them that sorry but no, I was going to be working 40 hours a week until I left. My managers started to scream at me that was unacceptable, but I told them that I could leave right now then. They quickly changed their tune and became meek, which I had never seen them do before. It was a pleasant couple of weeks, almost a vacation compared to the crazy hours that I had been putting in for more than 3 years. I did my best to put together some kind of manual for them. Was it the best? No, it wasn't. It wasn't as complete as I wanted it to be. But too bad, so sad, that's life.

However, I finagled being a consultant for this company for about half a year in addition to working at my new job. You have to pay for your mistakes I always say. They paid, and how. They trained 3 people to replace me. I guess they learned their lesson. Maybe.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:36 PM

9,374 posts, read 6,257,903 times
You have nothing to gain or lose

If you want to do it, do it!

If you don't, don't!

Old 05-23-2019, 03:40 AM

654 posts, read 315,102 times
Hand the the job description you had prior to being hired.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:04 AM

700 posts, read 1,673,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You never know when you might need a reference, It is bad policy to flip your employer off as you walk out the door.

Have to disagree. I have done a binder for several employers on my own steam, to make my own job easier, and it made no difference.

References depend on what wanker takes the call that day and what mood they're in. All that niceness, helpfulness and sugar and spice is long forgotten after you walk out the door, when employers act like scorned lovers. Transient amnesia is rampant even though you're smiling at each other when you depart.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:38 AM

1,683 posts, read 552,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Those who say not to help or do the bare minimum come across as bitter

You didn't get a manual when you started so now you won't make one? You didn't get one because the person before you thought the same and left you with nothing. Why not make a manual so they won't have to reinvent the wheel?

You should be helping delegate the heavy workload so the remaining people can handle it when you leave. No reason you need to keep doing the same work and acting like you aren't going to be there after 2 weeks. Make the transition as smooth as you can because that's the decent thing to do.

The ones that say why be decent to a company? Because you aren't doing it for the company, you do it because of the people you worked with. Companies don't hire people, the people working for them hire them. Burn your bridges if you want but people get around over time and you eventually run into the same people throughout a career.

The spiteful resentment is the reason you guys love to complain about and you are adding to it. Oh poor me, I make so much less than the CEO so I shouldn't be expected to have my own personal integrity? Since when did your integrity depend on a sliding scale of if you liked your employer or not?
Not only that, but that people act spiteful and try to 'stick it to the company' is a big reason why a lot of people never progress in their careers. Word gets around, reputations are made, and it's easy to see when someone is spiteful. Those things prevent a person from being considered for raises/promotions. Every single person on earth has had things happen to them that could make them spiteful towards a company. People who end up becoming senior persons are the ones who overlook those things.

What's more important, the little ego boost you'd get for a week by saying "ha, I ghosted that company, and really stuck it to them" (when in reality you're not really hurting them. No one is as important as they think they are), OR is it more prudent to treat the company well, regardless of how they treated you to keep that door open in case you want (or need) a job there in the future.

The amount of people who shoot themselves in the foot is surprising.

The biggest promotion I ever got (what boosted me out of the "rank and file employee" status) was after I was thrown under the bus. I was point-blank thrown under the bus by several managers. I was extremely bitter, but I didn't kick and scream, didn't complain, and took it in stride. I learned how to change what I do to mitigate the risk of that happening in the future, and talked about the issue with my boss in those terms. The way I handled that was what convinced people I was worth looking at for more raises/promotions/opportunities.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:58 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,833,476 times
Yes, I was asked to write out all the tasks that I regularly performed (you'd think that they would already know that!) as well as where the files were located on the internal web. I also wrote out the order that things needed to be done, if that mattered, and the deadlines that certain documents were to be provided to various work groups. I wrote down my contact names for various interdepartmental tasks, and where various items were stored. I also wrote down just a list of "filler work" that could be done, when there was some slack time, to maintain and improve the systems, basically things that had no deadline but needed to be kept up with. I didn't provide this in minute detail, except for one particularly complex database maintenance task that I had to figure out from scratch. No one provided me the info when I came on. It took me months to figure it out and I didn't want the new person to allow it to fall months behind again. This took less than 8 hours at most, and was done when I had spare time in my last 2 weeks.

If your workload won't allow you the time to do it, just let your supervisor know that you need to be relieved of some other work to allow time for it.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 AM

51,927 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Here is the bottom line:

If you really burn a bridge, it may come back to haunt you down the road, seen it happen...even 10, 20 years later.

However, there is no obligation to the current employer in an "at will" employment situation. They can let you go at any time for any reason so the idea that you should give them notice in that environment is ridiculously lopsided.

I would give them notice, do whatever work needs done but would not work extra or jump through special hoops for them "just because".

I'd be especially mindful if you have any co-workers that will be screwed by any of your actions, they can't help if management screws up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or