U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:32 AM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
Thanks everyone. To those who like to pontificate and shame, please know that you've now convinced me to just ghost the company and not even give notice. ........

Alrighty, then. You have no work ethics, but it is not your fault. It is all the fault of a bunch of strangers on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 08:36 AM

3,902 posts, read 2,743,924 times
As soon as I knew I was going to quit a job, I started putting together detailed how to lists of what I did and what needed to be continued or finished. I just kept adding a little more each day.

I wanted the transition between me and the next employee to be very easy and clean and final.

Mind you, both of these particular jobs had horrible bosses, one who even chastised me on 9/11 because she wanted me to do some cold sales calls and said everyone should just get over it.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:38 AM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
Quote:
Yeah...I would never ask my supervisor for a reference....ever. .......

When a potential new employer checks your references, they don't call your direct supervisor. They call your personnel department.

The people in personnel haven't worked with you, so where do you think they get their information about you? It comes from the evaluations that they have received from your supervisor.

They might ask to be put in touch with your supervisor.

You really think that employers will only check with the people that you give as references? You don't get to control the process like that.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:50 AM

2,597 posts, read 2,300,121 times
Quote:
I am in a background check process with a new company and waiting for the go ahead that everything is clear and it's ok to give my two weeks notice. I have an insane micromanaging supervisor, which is a big part of why I'm leaving. I have a feeling she is going to ask me to put together a manual before I leave detailing step by step everything I do and my schedule. She's done it in the past to a colleague. Have you ever been asked to do this? Did you actually do it? Do you think you owe it to an employer to do this for them? Heck, at this point they're lucky I even give them two weeks notice.
I wouldn't do jack --it for them.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:01 AM

244 posts, read 88,510 times
I would do it between regular work processes. If there isn't much time, then not much would be written up. Why not? It's not the fault of your replacement that you boss is a jerk.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:46 AM

1,857 posts, read 714,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When a potential new employer checks your references, they don't call your direct supervisor. They call your personnel department.

The people in personnel haven't worked with you, so where do you think they get their information about you? It comes from the evaluations that they have received from your supervisor.

They might ask to be put in touch with your supervisor.

You really think that employers will only check with the people that you give as references? You don't get to control the process like that.
Disgruntled employers that a person worked for cannot be counted on to give reliable information about their former workers. For most of the companies that I worked for, if you dared to quit on them, you were considered a traitor and beyond contempt. Naturally, they would not be giving good references for their former employees. Besides, to cover themselves, most companies only provide the employment start and end dates for their former employees and nothing more.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 AM

20,534 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
I am in a background check process with a new company and waiting for the go ahead that everything is clear and it's ok to give my two weeks notice. I have an insane micromanaging supervisor, which is a big part of why I'm leaving. I have a feeling she is going to ask me to put together a manual before I leave detailing step by step everything I do and my schedule. She's done it in the past to a colleague. Have you ever been asked to do this? Did you actually do it? Do you think you owe it to an employer to do this for them? Heck, at this point they're lucky I even give them two weeks notice.
I always left detailed notes for the next person to follow.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:24 PM

7,092 posts, read 2,905,107 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. To those who like to pontificate and shame, please know that you've now convinced me to just ghost the company and not even give notice. Methinks there are quite a few bad managers here who have had that exact thing happen to them....but just don't understand why. Trust me...a lot of the readers on the site know why.

Wow, are YOU easy to influence! This is what you wanted to do all along, right? If you really like feeling victimized by public opinion be my guest.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 PM

2,410 posts, read 684,967 times
You owe them nothing. You're not guaranteed to get notice period, they could walk you out the door that same day.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:36 PM

994 posts, read 380,928 times
My manager asked for six monthís notice when I retire. Yeah...Iíll probably give it to him...from our new location as I live on-site as the new house is being built. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or