U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,203,742 times

Advertisements

I am in the final stages of interviewing for a job in the city I live in - as my current position is being eliminated due to a corporate relocation. No position transfer was offered.

In the latest interview, I was told if offered I would have to train in a different city - approx 90 miles away.

Not a problem, I used to live in that city.

My questions are:
(1) who pays for lodging - do I pay and get reimbursed, or do they pay? Do I ask?
(2) is per diem offered - I normally cook and bring lunch and snacks and this might be difficult.
(3) Am I correct in assuming that they will reimburse my milage?

Are there other things I need to address? Next interview - with the Director is tomorrow afternoon.
any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 AM

736 posts, read 193,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I am in the final stages of interviewing for a job in the city I live in - as my current position is being eliminated due to a corporate relocation. No position transfer was offered.

In the latest interview, I was told if offered I would have to train in a different city - approx 90 miles away.

My questions are:
(1) who pays for lodging - do I pay and get reimbursed, or do they pay? Do I ask?
(2) is per diem offered - I normally cook and bring lunch and snacks and this might be difficult.

Are there other things I need to address? Next interview - with the Director is tomorrow afternoon.
any info is appreciated.
Definitely ask the questions.

Generally speaking, it''l be on a per diem OR reimbursement basis.

If it's per diem, they will pay for lodging and transportation expenses, and a per diem for meals.

If it's reimbursement, it's all up to you.

They should have a written travel policy that would govern this.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:10 AM

8,639 posts, read 3,045,045 times
Yes - all you should have to do is ask what their travel policies are. If they don't have it down in detail, you will need to ask... and I'd be a little concerned about the company's state of organization.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 554,655 times
Very reasonable questions to ask. If they don't have an answer, or assume you'd pay for those things yourself, it's a pretty big red flag for that company.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:21 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,415,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post

My questions are:
Could be either depending on company travel policy. Definitely ask, but I personally would not take the job if they expected you to incur this expense without reimbursement.

Quote:
It should be. Again, if it isnít that is a red flag.

Quote:
You are correct in that they should. Typically they will reimburse you the lesser of the distance between home and training or work and trying, which is acceptable.

Quote:
any info is appreciated.
I would just ask if training is covered by travel policy and ask what policy is.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:17 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,141 times
Yes, it should definitely be offered, but I guess it's not a given these days. My spouse just took a new job and we don't wish to move, so they are paying for his travel expenses and hotel to go to the job on Monday and return home for the weekend. You don't know what an employer is willing to do until you ask...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment