U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 02:10 AM

8,936 posts, read 8,403,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Most candidates work for money -- so that doesn't even need to be considered.

However, as an employer, I def help with housing as much as I can to make sure the transfer to the new state is as smooth as possible. This is with temporary housing and moving costs. It's common sense.
Agreed. My post that you quote above was in response to Bobsell, who implied that employers should hire out of state applicants because they need the job, because they need money, housing, etc.

It is not that I donít care if employees are properly compensated, and I do have a few established relationships with decent rental landlords that I give out to relocating new hires to ease out of area transitions. My post was limited to stating that a person's personal financial circumstances are not part of my hiring decision. My decision is based on quality of applicant, tempered with an understanding that out of state applicants are slightly more risky. It is simply one more factor in evaluating the overall desirability of a candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 02:19 AM

1,350 posts, read 588,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Agreed. My post that you quote above was in response to Bobsell, who implied that employers should hire out of state applicants because they need the job, because they need money, housing, etc.

It is not that I donít care if employees are properly compensated, and I do have a few established relationships with decent rental landlords that I give out to relocating new hires to ease out of area transitions. My post was limited to stating that a person's personal financial circumstances are not part of my hiring decision. My decision is based on quality of applicant, tempered with an understanding that out of state applicants are slightly more risky. It is simply one more factor in evaluating the overall desirability of a candidate.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:19 AM

7,728 posts, read 9,027,441 times
How do you get a job in another state?
Apply
Many employers refuse to consider non local candidates.
Bull****. Plenty will. See first comment.
It is unlikely to have personal connections with people in other states who could get you passed the HR screening, directly to the manager. Personal networking is normally local. See first comment.
Are we imprisoned in our current state, so we cannot move to the other side of the country?See first comment.

Plenty of places will hire out of state candidates. You just have to search far and wide since some places have an inbred mentality.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:29 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,640,935 times
I am returning back to this thread in hopes of having this one question answered. Is it any more difficult in the public sector?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:47 PM

8,936 posts, read 8,403,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I am returning back to this thread in hopes of having this one question answered. Is it any more difficult in the public sector?
Sorry, but no definitive answer is possible.

It will depend on the job, the agency, any applicable regulations, the local talent pool, the organizational budget, the whim of the hiring manager and the area of the country.

As with all things, the more rarified and desirable your skills compared to the local population, the more likely it is that you will be hired from outside the area.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:42 PM

9,467 posts, read 12,307,236 times
By working for the "Federal Government" or working for a company that have "Branch Offices" all over the United States of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or