Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:00 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
How do you get a job in another state?
Many employers refuse to consider non local candidates.
It is unlikely to have personal connections with people in other states who could get you passed the HR screening, directly to the manager. Personal networking is normally local.
Are we imprisoned in our current state, so we cannot move to the other side of the country?
I've done it three times. First, I transferred with my company (worked for a large chain). Second, I flew out to the location a couple times each year and distributed resumes (wanted to work for an independent). After a couple visits, I managed to get a call and from that a job. Third time, I applied online to a few large chains. Got a few phone interviews; was hired off the first one (though I did drive up to the other state and did two sit-down interviews which were of course subsequent to the initial phone interview).

It's possible, though I think the field you are in may cater to or hinder that. I work in the health-care field so there is a higher than average demand still in many of those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 09:28 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I'm with the federal gov't and it's super easy if you're doing it right. MS-CT-HI-GA-CT-CA since 2012. Life is good! So is God!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:56 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,215 times
Quote:
It is unlikely to have personal connections with people in other states who could get you passed the HR screening, directly to the manager. Personal networking is normally local.
Are we imprisoned in our current state, so we cannot move to the other side of the country?
Virtual employment is on the rise. Pretty soon you'll be able to live anywhere and do anything you want, as long as it's not physical labor.
Look to the fields that are using virtual employees, like business, legal, tech, etc...

Old 05-23-2019, 09:40 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Here is what helped me be contacted for phone interviews (which is a start).

I put a local address of the city/town I'm moving to in the near future.

But I pull the phone number. There is no number listed (b/c it's out of state).

I get contacted and asked for an interview (and asked for my phone number).

But as noted in this thread, if you're 100% on moving to a certain location, I'd move there, set up a
short term rent situation (weekely & monthly) and set up in person interviews for when you arrive (It usually has to be within a week or two from the interview date scheduled).

Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,955 times
I was thinking of finding a cheap room to rent , sharing with a roommate since it will be cheaper. Something for less than 500 a month and I won't physically be there except for interviews. That way I can have an out of state address.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:56 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
We discussed in another thread that having real competence that they cannot find elsewhere does not get you past HR screening.
I don’t remember that thread, but I disagree with your conclusion. I have been hired from out of state, with paid relocation, three times.

I worked for a niche industry, and was well known in that industry as a highly competent professional. I never had any problem getting past HR filters.

Average candidates are going to find it tough, but if you bring something special to the table relocation is possible.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:38 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I've done this twice.

I applied for jobs in "not hot" areas - two Midwestern states that most people wouldn't move to. You want to look for a combination of hot job market in your field, with a decent cost of living and where the area may be having problems attracting residents.

I moved to Iowa from Tennessee in 2012. At the time, virtually no one was hiring in my neck of the woods, and the job market here in Tennessee (aside from Nashville) is still pretty sluggish. Places in Iowa advertised on the radio with an "apply Friday, start Monday" type of approach. I was baffled at how different the job market was.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:04 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I think it really depends on the field. I had a coworker recently leave us to work for a certain major aircraft manufacturer (I won’t say who, but you’ll probably guess) and they offered him a paid relocation to Seattle. But he chose to stay for other reasons. Occupational safety may be having a shortage of professionals, I’m not sure frankly.

I work in the public sector, and I’m not sure how that works for relocation. Ideally I’d like to stay in the public sector, and governments obviously identify their jurisdiction in the name, so no hiding that. I guess you address it in the cover letter and hope for the best.

My parents took a risk and sold their house and moved to Florida with no jobs. It worked out for them in the end, but it was really risky, and they had a lot of savings to last then for a long time. If I were to choose to do the same thing, I only have two years of savings and I’ve had a bout of health issues, so I couldn’t go as long without employment.

I think it also depends on where you want to go. If you’re trying to move somewhere competitive, like NYC and you’re entry level, you’ll have a hard time. But Alabama will probably be easier.

Most people have to do what my parents did. I hope when the time comes, I don’t have to do it that way either.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:14 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
Quote:

OP, when you write "we", I assume you have a partner and maybe a kid or two. If that's the case, picking up and moving to a new state is difficult w/o money saved up and a well thought out plan.

For me, as a single person and no kids (Thank GOD!!), it was easier for me to plan my move from MI to CA in late 2016. Mind, I have vacationed here regularly since 2004, so I was familiar with the area and knew what I was getting into when I moved here. I even joined C-D in 2013 to help plan my move here. But alas, even with all the planning and pre-planning, and getting my ducks in a row, I was not able to secure a job before I move to the LA area, but I was in the interviewing stage with one company I found on Craigslist, and had a phone interview a week before I moved here, and had the in person interview a few days after I moved here. Two days later, I was offered the job. I had just enough money to tie me over for a couple of months, and I found a beautiful room in a large house at rent less than what I was paying in MI.

Only you can break yourself out of your imprisoned state, just like I did. But you have to PLAN for it, and work extra jobs to save for it.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:02 AM

521 posts, read 733,331 times
Have done it by cold calling and then phone/Skype interviews. Also having a set move date. Usually I then could schedule an in person interview for after moving there (within a month). Last time the interview was the day after we arrived in our new location and staying in a motel with a baby and two dogs. But it worked out. Have done it for two moves so far. Start calling ahead about 2 months prior to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment