U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:46 AM

325 posts, read 395,082 times

Advertisements

I've "blown up" on a co-worker before, when he (a fellow Manager) said "Just do it!" to me in a tone that I didn't like. I've never liked the guy, so it was a lot of emotions that I had held in which erupted. Did I regret it? Yes and no. It was bound to come out so I felt a sense of relief, but I also felt a bit of shame for not being able to control my emotions at work.

Back to OP: It sounds like OP had a good relationship with the co-worker before the incident. If so, then OP should heed the previous advice and just try to resolve it one on one. Bringing management into it may complicate matters, as the coworker will have to explain his/her side of it and people tend to go into a defensive shell. The entire situation may spiral into something more than a moment of frustration. If the co-worker digs in further during discussion, and the issue(s) can't be resolve, then let the Manager know. Resolving interpersonal issues is part of being a manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 09:18 AM

22,522 posts, read 11,593,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiRetiredAt60 View Post
Her co worker let her know she is not doing her job, being lazy. That's what the OP says. This is the problem that needs addressed. This is the issue her co-worker has with her which needs to be rectified. This the first question to the op is, are you lazy?

Generally people will not tell someone they are lazy if it isn't true. That's an indicator as a employee, to correct yourself thus correcting the problem. Being lazy isn't just annoying, it is a form of theft when you accept money in exchange for a job you just aren't doing up to basic standards. If I am lazy, I should thank my lucky stars she told me privately and didn't go to the boss. And in exchange, show that same respect by inquiring further of what I am doing which appears lazy. Am I not as productive, am I taking longer lunches, what am I doing? Or

If I am lazy, I just say "Thank you" for letting me know in private and maybe even apologize to them. Re-assure them I will do more work than necessary from then on out. I will be more professional from here on out.

Lazy people donít change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or