U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2019, 06:34 PM
 
38,223 posts, read 14,933,179 times
Reputation: 24627

Advertisements

Save it until the interview, then make it brief -- "Cared for a family member during a medical issue that has since been resolved." -- and move on.

Don't go into what you learned during the time. Just that now that the medical issue has been resolved, you are excited to go back to work.

If they call your last place of employment for a reference, it may be mentioned that you quit to care for your sick mother, but don't you go into all of that.

If the interviewer asks for details, keep it general. How relieved you are that matters have been resolved and how excited you are to get back to customer service. Maybe a general remark about how it felt being on the receiving end of good customer service and would like to have the opportunity to provide that again.

Keep the focus on you, your skills, and what you can bring to the organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Planet Telex
4,663 posts, read 2,294,777 times
Reputation: 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Even if they read the cover letter they may not believe the reason. Next applicant...
Good point. If they're gonna hold that reason against you, I wonder if its just better to say you're still working at the place and ask them to not contact the employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,787 posts, read 1,021,935 times
Reputation: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Good point. If they're gonna hold that reason against you, I wonder if its just better to say you're still working at the place and ask them to not contact the employer?
An applicant can ask not to contact but there is no law that says they can't. They most likely will.
OP as posted has a legitimate reason, best to keep it honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 12:58 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
4,958 posts, read 2,286,772 times
Reputation: 16659
Oooh ... I briefly entertain thoughts from time to time; “what if ...?”

What if somehow Luke was in a program where they could actually handle him (probably around age 25, when his brain may hopefully simmer down) & I could go back to work?”

Realistically speaking; who would want me now? I’m 51 & have been out of the work force since 2005. He won’t even be 25 for another decade. And what if his brain doesn’t ‘simmer down’ (speaking to the chronic neuroinflammation in autism)?

I was so naive back when I was 38 & I thought I’d take some time off to gather resources! Ha, I was the resource! Now I’m trafficked by my own DHHS; who take advantage of my love for my son as long as they can. When I die they will be paying somebody else who does not love him, over $400/day to do what I do for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,824 posts, read 1,990,474 times
Reputation: 5267
Post 3 has a point but so does post 9.
Focus on your skill set. A good fit will at least get the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 07:01 AM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
30,067 posts, read 16,619,946 times
Reputation: 22612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Employers discriminate against people who are out of work. When asked what you did, you took care of a sick relative. Then talk about how that made you a better customer service person (if you're applying for a CS position).

Talk about the skills you used in this time, so you can show them your awesomeness is not rusty.
This post is pure awesomeness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2019, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Planet Telex
4,663 posts, read 2,294,777 times
Reputation: 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Save the reason until the interview, then make it brief -- "Cared for a family member during a medical issue that has since been resolved." -- and move on.
Some employers might move onto the next resume to review once they see someone has been out of work for seven months and wonder why that person hasn't been able to find a job. I'm not saying the OP doesn't have a valid reason but I think she might be at a disadvantage here. That is why I recommend to briefly mention the reason in the cover letter (or even on the resume) so that people won't automatically assume the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 03:54 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,530 posts, read 4,234,654 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Nothing would surprise me. Some HR screeners will see the gap on the resume and then automatically assume the applicant is the "problem" for being out of work for seven months and not even bother to read the reason why they have been out of work. I don't have much faith in people reading cover letters.
People don't read cover letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 07:02 AM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
4,349 posts, read 7,994,008 times
Reputation: 4759
First - unless a cover letter is explicitly requested. I wouldn't even bother with one. And it would also depend on the type of company. Education/Research - you'll likely need one. Technology companies, likely not. The gray area are the small companies. Because you are likely dealing with a smaller group, it may depend on an individual's preferences. Someone that is old school will probably want one. So I'm speaking more about what you say at the interview if the question about what you've been doing the past X months comes up.

As you indicated - you've received different opinions on how to handle this and what may happen, etc. And this is likely going to be the same theme with the hiring managers - each will have their own perspective on whether or not this will be a factor. Some may have done the same in the past and understand what you went through, others may see it as a red flag, and some won't care at all. Unfortunately, the reality of it is that it's anyone's guess. You're dealing with personal preference at this point. That said - someone who is going to hold that against you is probably not someone you want to work for anyways...

You mentioned some of your former colleagues moved on - are you still in touch with them? If so, you might consider reaching out just to see if they know of anyone that is hiring. And have to you talked to your previous employer? Sure, the old company isn't what it used to be, but it'll probably still be more familiar than a company you've never dealt with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2019, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Planet Telex
4,663 posts, read 2,294,777 times
Reputation: 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
People don't read cover letters.
Some do, some don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top