U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 09:39 PM

2,735 posts, read 3,267,449 times

Advertisements

What ever happened to Trades and Vocational Training?

What ever happened to Skilled Laborers; to people who learned a trade, and developed dexterities through coursework learning and On-The-Job-Training (OJT)?

Today's society has FAILED to impress young people as to the need and importance of trades and skilled labor. Far and few are the young persons today whom are interested in learning a trade which, may be a bit demanding but, for the most, pays extremely well.

Fact is, a gamut of us Old Timers whom are close to retirement are not seeing a line of persons eager to do our jobs. This is happening, not only my line of work (i.e., Power Plant Operations). It is happening within several Industrial Trades. I hear it from Heavy Equipment Operators, Insulators, Industrial Mechanics, Millwrights, Boilermakers, High Pressure Welders, Linemen, High Voltage Electricians, etc..

In most cases, what I and others are witnessing is that, because the US has failed to emphasize trades as a viable career option to young people, people from outside the USA are filling trades and skilled labor jobs.

Most of these trades pay very well. The coursework normally lasts less than 4 years. This equates to an affordable education which will not put you in debt for decades.

Your thoughts.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 PM

2,404 posts, read 684,967 times
Apprenticeships are hard to get, tons of competition.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:20 PM

3,377 posts, read 6,592,710 times
Training for the trades is flourishing in the community colleges in my area. Welding, machining, truck driving, pipe-fitting, etc. All are doing well. Fewer colleges offer electrician training, but it's still easy to find. I have heard stories of people at my age (past 40) going back to learn a trade because their old career has dried up. And the trades give you a good shot at a good job.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:03 PM

17,249 posts, read 10,176,823 times
Who here works in "the Trades"

How consistent is the work for construction trades really

I have a college degree and a job. Am I crazy for considering the trades?

I think blue collar work is unappreciated

Old 05-23-2019, 11:28 PM

40,200 posts, read 15,174,148 times
Duplicate topic. Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or