U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 02:24 PM

1,837 posts, read 478,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The customer is always right. There is nothing you can do but smile and say "how can I help you?" Getting upset is counterproductive. Since you are being paid to do this, you have to know your place and be a good little slave. That is what customer service is all about. If you don't like it you can quit and be hired on as another slave somewhere else. Sorry, this is rather blunt but that is the way it is.
That is not what customer service is all about and this is not the way it is. You don't understand what customer service actually is and what function it performs.

No, sorry, that isn't a way to handle working with clients. You make it sound like it is a job to be abused in and that's your role. It isn't. The company doesn't want you to be abused, they want you to solve customer problems to keep them. The OP needs to know how to respond to these things and help them, not simply to suffer cause that doesn't help the customer, doesn't help the OP and doesn't help the company.

Last edited by rummage; 05-25-2019 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 02:26 PM

21,501 posts, read 17,093,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
This. The customer is usually not talking to "you" but the company. If you are on the front line of customer support, you are the "company" as far as they are concerned. If I call up AT&T (God help me) I am talking to "AT&T" not the rep named "Susan". If I call the next day and talk to "Sally" and the next day with "Bob" and have to repeat myself I am going to be upset because I have "explained this to you already".

The scope of your job duties or powers is also not their concern. If you do not know or have the ability to "fix" it then it is up to you to transfer the customer to someone who does. If I ask a rep to remove an incorrect charge, I'm not going to be satisfied with "I don't have authority to do that". Connect me with someone who does.
Yes, I usually ask myself to be transferred to a manager. I have groceries delivered to my mom from Walmart. Last time they charged her for things marked delivered that she didnít get, so we assumed the driver accidentally left a couple of bags in the van. When I called Walmart to get her stuff re-delivered, the person immediately tried to blow me off by telling me they contract their delivery service and Iíd have to call the delivery company. I said no Iím not going to do that. I paid Walmart for a service, calling their subcontractors is not my job, itís theirs. She kept trying to tell me they couldnít just re-deliver the missing items and even had the nerve to say if I was nearby I could come pick them up. I paid for delivery because I didnít want to go to the store, otherwise I wouldíve just brought her the groceries all together.

At that point I insisted on a manager. That person got her stuff re-delivered.

I think often the way things are said and the effort you feel someone is making to solve your problem makes all the difference. I felt like she was trying to blow me off from the very beginning by telling me that I had to call some other company that I never heard of and never paid any money to. If I feel like the representative was trying to dismiss me that is the thing most likely to set me off make me angry.

If I ask a worker at a grocery store where a certain product is, and they say Iím not sure, that should be followed with ďlet me see if I can find out.Ē If they want the whole conversation to end with ďIím not sureĒ Iím not going to be a happy customer. And I say this is someone who has worked with the public my entire life, and go out of my way to do it well.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:40 PM

6,565 posts, read 3,054,506 times
Our business sometimes has to call with technical support concerns. We PAY them to resolve. So in essences they are our service provider. I recently called and had the most irate attitude (my bad, as I was desparately needing help) . The rep de-escalated it in a way I've never experienced in all my years. She'd just listen to one sentence ...then if she didn't like my tone...on hold I went! You would think that just made things worse. Which the first few times I was livid! After the tenth time being put on hold.I finally said- stay on the line and fix this. I have customers here! She by then had finished her "I'm in control" fit and proceeded to fix the script that was causing the software glitch. I assure you it took a good hour to re evaluate how I could have handled my attitude different. Instead the rep did the ignore til I settled down. Do I recommend it? Nope.
It is what worked though for both of us to take some huge breaks to get to the resolution.
The rule is the customer has the right to be heard. Upon which their concern is validated.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:42 PM

4,418 posts, read 1,669,672 times
Quote:
The customer is always right. There is nothing you can do but smile and say "how can I help you?" Getting upset is counterproductive. Since you are being paid to do this, you have to know your place and be a good little slave. That is what customer service is all about. If you don't like it you can quit and be hired on as another slave somewhere else. Sorry, this is rather blunt but that is the way it is.
No, they are not. I've worked in CS for 29 years, and I could tell you some stories about some of the blatant disregard for company rules and regulations by customers that I've been privy to.

Latest example for me personally was just yesterday - I field calls for the NY Health Exchange and had one woman on the phone who wanted to know how much she had to make to qualify for Medicaid. She had just tried doing her own renewal online and had qualified for an APTC, which requires a Qualified Health Plan. What she should have been requesting was help with plan selection. I told her I could rerun her application in case she had reported her income wrong, but I couldn't tell her what she would or would not qualify for without doing that. A few rounds of that and I was told I "was no help" and she hung up on me.

I think she was going to try to game the system, which would have caught up with her anyway. There are systematic checks done with the IRS, DTF, DOL, etc., and I have seen a few consumers get hit with Notices of Discontinuance due to unreported income changes.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:49 PM

7,046 posts, read 3,862,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
...I knew someone who was working at McDonald's for the summer while going to a university to be a biologist. Customers would regularly get mad at her for "messing up their order" (when they'd order the wrong thing) and then tell her condescendingly that this is why she was working at a fast food place.
An interesting observation I've had on this very issue. Local Wendy's will get an order wrong 9 out of 10 times and then get huffy when you ask them to fix it. Local Chick Fil A almost never gets it wrong, they fix it instantly with a "my pleasure." Company culture makes a huge difference in how problems are solved.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:56 PM

1,951 posts, read 769,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
No, they are not. I've worked in CS for 29 years, and I could tell you some stories about some of the blatant disregard for company rules and regulations by customers that I've been privy to.

Latest example for me personally was just yesterday - I field calls for the NY Health Exchange and had one woman on the phone who wanted to know how much she had to make to qualify for Medicaid. She had just tried doing her own renewal online and had qualified for an APTC, which requires a Qualified Health Plan. What she should have been requesting was help with plan selection. I told her I could rerun her application in case she had reported her income wrong, but I couldn't tell her what she would or would not qualify for without doing that. A few rounds of that and I was told I "was no help" and she hung up on me.

I think she was going to try to game the system, which would have caught up with her anyway. There are systematic checks done with the IRS, DTF, DOL, etc., and I have seen a few consumers get hit with Notices of Discontinuance due to unreported income changes.
Yes, your environment seems to be different. In the two environments that I worked in that had a lot of client facing, the client was always right. If a client complained or was dissatisfied, management automatically assumed it was the employee's fault. There was no recourse and no appeal. Management didn't want to hear anything from the clients except satisfaction and praise. If it was anything else, the employee(s) was/were at fault. Even if everything was done perfectly yet the client wasn't satisfied, the employee was at fault.

I remember a situation where I did everything perfectly on a project and had documentation to back me up and the support of my direct superior. The client was not satisfied and complained nevertheless. I was called to explain. I was able to eloquently and confidently recount what had happened and that the client had made some mistakes. My superiors had to admit that I was in the right, but said I was to blame anyway because the client was not satisfied. Part of our job was to keep the client happy and if we didn't then we weren't doing our jobs. Luckily, I didn't have many situations like that because I wouldn't have been working there long.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, your environment seems to be different. In the two environments that I worked in that had a lot of client facing, the client was always right. If a client complained or was dissatisfied, management automatically assumed it was the employee's fault. There was no recourse and no appeal. Management didn't want to hear anything from the clients except satisfaction and praise. If it was anything else, the employee(s) was/were at fault. Even if everything was done perfectly yet the client wasn't satisfied, the employee was at fault.

I remember a situation where I did everything perfectly on a project and had documentation to back me up and the support of my direct superior. The client was not satisfied and complained nevertheless. I was called to explain. I was able to eloquently and confidently recount what had happened and that the client had made some mistakes. My superiors had to admit that I was in the right, but said I was to blame anyway because the client was not satisfied. Part of our job was to keep the client happy and if we didn't then we weren't doing our jobs. Luckily, I didn't have many situations like that because I wouldn't have been working there long.
Thankfully every single phone call is recorded, so if there is a complaint all management has to do is pull the call and listen to it. Also, I asked one of the team leads what I should say to her and that was what I was told to say. There's certain things we can and can't do based on state and federal regulations as well as company policy, and you never know which of your calls are going to be QC'ed, so sometimes you are going to upset a customer or two. Maybe that woman called back and got an agent who was willing to give her that info, and I only hope that call doesn't wind up being QC'ed, because every time you fail a call it counts against you.

The fact of the matter is that sometimes the customer ISN'T going to be satisfied by the outcome of the call. I had a caller last week who was mad because he was restricted by Medicaid to only one hospital in NYC. We can't give him a reason why, because it's not a Marketplace decision. All we can do is put in a request to a task team to have that looked into and lifted (if possible), and that isn't going to be rectified in that one call, that day. It can take up to 10 business days or more for these complaints or referrals to be looked into. And then he hung up before I could do the request, and once the call ends we have to move on to the next one.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Thankfully every single phone call is recorded, so if there is a complaint all management has to do is pull the call and listen to it. Also, I asked one of the team leads what I should say to her and that was what I was told to say. There's certain things we can and can't do based on state and federal regulations as well as company policy, and you never know which of your calls are going to be QC'ed, so sometimes you are going to upset a customer or two. Maybe that woman called back and got an agent who was willing to give her that info, and I only hope that call doesn't wind up being QC'ed, because every time you fail a call it counts against you.

The fact of the matter is that sometimes the customer ISN'T going to be satisfied by the outcome of the call. I had a caller last week who was mad because he was restricted by Medicaid to only one hospital in NYC. We can't give him a reason why, because it's not a Marketplace decision. All we can do is put in a request to a task team to have that looked into and lifted (if possible), and that isn't going to be rectified in that one call, that day. It can take up to 10 business days or more for these complaints or referrals to be looked into. And then he hung up before I could do the request, and once the call ends we have to move on to the next one.
Sometimes though the people just are overworked and don’t care. My mother is in an assisted living facility on Medicaid. I never got last years renewal because they sent it to a wrong address (112 instead of 1112). Even though they admitted it was their error, my mom was without a payor source for the ALF and no one cared. Three weeks after I brought her paperwork in person and they said they’d straighten it out, the same guy snapped at me that she hadn’t been assigned a case manager yet and he had no clue when she would. I was livid. I wrote an email to my state senators office. They called me 15 minutes later, and 20 minutes after that the Medicaid office called to tell me she was re-certified. So obviously they could have sped up the process to compensate for their error before, they just didn’t give a crap until I escalated it.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sometimes though the people just are overworked and donít care. My mother is in an assisted living facility on Medicaid. I never got last years renewal because they sent it to a wrong address (112 instead of 1112). Even though they admitted it was their error, my mom was without a payor source for the ALF and no one cared. Three weeks after I brought her paperwork in person and they said theyíd straighten it out, the same guy snapped at me that she hadnít been assigned a case manager yet and he had no clue when she would. I was livid. I wrote an email to my state senators office. They called me 15 minutes later, and 20 minutes after that the Medicaid office called to tell me she was re-certified. So obviously they could have sped up the process to compensate for their error before, they just didnít give a crap until I escalated it.
Which is a completely different scenario from what I was talking about.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Which is a completely different scenario from what I was talking about.
The attitude that customers just need to accept that they might not be helped reminded me of it. I definitely felt a different vibe and a sense that they didnít have to really go out of their way for me because it was a county agency vs a private enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment