Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 06:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Seriously, I am tired of the “Ive been here X amount of years, I can do what I want” mindset. Any ideas to cope with longtime employees who think they own the joint?
I'm dealing with that right now. I supervise two system admins. Both have been there at least 10+ years. One guy is willing to do whatever I need him to do. The other, he thinks he owns the joint. He's constantly complaining about our IT director, he is always in late - sometimes he doesn't get in until after 2pm (our work day starts at 8am btw.) He always thinks he's right about everything. He is a brilliant guy, however, when it comes to attention to detail and database management. He complained about the last guy who held my position - and I don't doubt he is complaining about me behind my back as well. He had applied for my lead position and didn't get it. So, I'm sure he's bitter about that. But, he never comes in on time, completely unreliable, and doesn't really seem to get along with a lot of folks. I don't know how he's been able to hold onto his job. Problem is, I don't have the authority to fire him. I don't even know if my director does as crazy as that sounds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I'll always defer to a SME where I'm not one.

With that said, you can have people who have been employed many years, but kind of coast along and don't become the leader on anything.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:08 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Be better at your job than they are at theirs. Make sure the boss above them knows it.
We have a few, and the administrators know it, and do nothing.....but they will watch the good workers on surveillance cameras and be all over them if they take an extra few minutes on break. The ones that do nothing are the ones with the 6 figure salary, and one that has been here 40+years and does nothing but drink coffee and read the newspaper, when asked to work, he grumbles, but never moves.....shift starts at 7am, he shows at 8am, and leaves an hour early, been like this for 20+years

Old 05-29-2019, 03:14 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Either do something that'll show them up, or swallow your annoyance.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Seriously, I am tired of the “Ive been here X amount of years, I can do what I want” mindset. Any ideas to cope with longtime employees who think they own the joint?
They never said "you" couldn't do what you wanted either...

You can do what you want too if you know what you can and can't do... how is that any different?

The "I've been here X years" translates into I know the boundaries and know what I can do

Old 05-30-2019, 07:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
I've had more of an issue with new employees who come in and think and act like they know everything.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:41 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
There are no such thing as good or bad decisions anymore in a workplace they are all the same, because the ones in charge has the final say.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:04 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Learn from them. Whether it's technical skills or political skills, they are there for a reason. Then perhaps someday you will be one of them.
Yep, if they have not technical skills then their political skills are off the charts. I would not mind improving my political skills. In fact, I need to reach out to an old co-worker who got away with cussing out management in a fortune 100 company. His technical skills were good, but even if you have maxed out your technical skills tree there is no way anyone can get away with that in a fortune 100 company without having epic political skills (or straight up blackmail material perhaps lol).

Old 05-31-2019, 01:07 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Good supervisors will document poor performance regardless of seniority. They’ll first give a warning, then a counseling, and if nothing changes then firing with documentation of past behavior. However, most often the issue is junior employees with an attitude who think they’re smarter than everyone else. I’ve been at my job 20 years and I’ve seen both sides. Junior employees may see a better way of doing things but are frustrated no one will listen. Older employees who e already tried what the junior employee wants to do and knows why it won’t work through experience. Some senior employees are senior due to their brown nose ability (kissing backsides) while others got there through experience and performance. If the one you’re complaining about is buddies with the boss then don’t even try to fight it. If the one you’re complaining about shows knowledge and skills then learn from that person instead of complaining.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:32 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Good supervisors will document poor performance regardless of seniority. They’ll first give a warning, then a counseling, and if nothing changes then firing with documentation of past behavior. However, most often the issue is junior employees with an attitude who think they’re smarter than everyone else. I’ve been at my job 20 years and I’ve seen both sides. Junior employees may see a better way of doing things but are frustrated no one will listen. Older employees who e already tried what the junior employee wants to do and knows why it won’t work through experience. Some senior employees are senior due to their brown nose ability (kissing backsides) while others got there through experience and performance. If the one you’re complaining about is buddies with the boss then don’t even try to fight it. If the one you’re complaining about shows knowledge and skills then learn from that person instead of complaining.
I frankly don't know why someone would want to become "senior" in an at-will roll rather than start their own company or jump over to federal govt jobs or move to someplace with significantly greater employee protection. In my mind the whole idea behind becoming "senior" is that I can mouth off a bit and slack off here and there because I have earned it, but thats not the case in the USA so I dont know why people continue on this long in at-will rolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment