U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2019, 03:33 PM

286 posts, read 120,044 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I am tired of the “Ive been here X amount of years, I can do what I want” mindset. Any ideas to cope with longtime employees who think they own the joint?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 04:27 PM

1,678 posts, read 550,083 times
First, ask if they actually do know something you don't because of how long they've been there. The first question to ask is if you should listen to them. They've been there for a long time for a reason.

Second, treat them with respect. They will get away with more than newer people. There are a LOT of bad employees who have been there a long time, and mistakenly think they know a lot simply because bad management has allowed them to stay for a long time. Treat those people with respect from a political point of view, and just work around them. Treat them like auditors - give them only what's required, nothing more, outside of that, ignore them.

Don't get annoyed. Learning to succeed in spite of the useless people you work with is what gets you promoted to senior level positions.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:55 PM

17,256 posts, read 10,183,539 times
Not much you can do as these types are usually itching to get in a confrontation, they live for the drama at work.

Perhaps you can befriend such a person and make them into an ally, or hopefully you can stay off the radar, do your work, and not deal much with the person.

Not a whole lot of options I'm afraid.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:02 PM

6,839 posts, read 3,713,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Seriously, I am tired of the “Ive been here X amount of years, I can do what I want” mindset. Any ideas to cope with longtime employees who think they own the joint?
Learn from them. Whether it's technical skills or political skills, they are there for a reason. Then perhaps someday you will be one of them.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:04 PM

18,088 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Be better at your job than they are at theirs. Make sure the boss above them knows it.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:57 AM

5,026 posts, read 3,211,192 times
Quote:
Hee hee hee...I had one who said "I could run this company better" she'd been there 20 years and was still on the shop floor...suuuureeee you can....

Old 05-27-2019, 06:11 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,985,937 times
Quote:
I think there is some confirmation bias here as only more "senior" employees can make such a remark. You're not going to have someone who's only been there for 6 months say that.

But at the end of the day - people do things because they can. Someone who is a subject matter expert can use the same argument. Instead of "I've been here for X years", it's "I know more about this than anyone else here...".

Regardless, without context, hard to gauge how inappropriate the comment is. If they were offered a really bad suggestion, perhaps that's just the easiest way to get it to drop?

Old 05-27-2019, 07:43 AM

689 posts, read 249,768 times
Quote:

Why do senior employees always throw their weight around?

How long have you been at your workplace there?

There are always crazy things and jealousy in any workplace.

There are always hard-working and lazy, arrogant and "sick" employees among long time and new employees.

For those who have been there for a long time, I believe at the beginning they must have worked hard and/or done something right therefore they could be there for a long time. And time goes by, eventually many of them feel entitled, many of them get sick more often or cheat, and many others are still healthy, have good work ethics and work hard. Not everyone is the same.

For the new and younger employees, there are many willing to listen and learn from the experienced ones. Others think they are smarter than the ones who have been there for a long time, they don't need to listen to anyone. And others again are very lazy, just want to talk more than work, and they are jealous and upset with the ones who have been there for a long time because they are new and they don't get pay as much as the long time employees.

You can choose to find what they have done well, so they could be there for so long, and learn from them, so you could be there for long or jump to somewhere else. It's no good to judge them when you don't know them in the past 20, 30 years. No matter some of them can be there even though they are so "sick" and want to do light work but the employer cannot do anything to them because they are protected by the FMLA.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:59 AM

6,615 posts, read 3,742,110 times
Quote:
In my experience, they didn't have the "I can do what I want" mentality. But having been somewhere for a number of years, they would know more than newcomers about how to do a job or how to adhere to company policies, as well as knowledge of what the policies and job requirements are.

When you have spent the years and effort doing a job well at one business, you'll understand. If I were you, I'd recognize what it took for someone to stick to a job for years, and pay attention. They know a thing or two. They haven't been there for years because they were incompetent or didn't get along with people.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:00 PM

3,545 posts, read 1,355,757 times
well, "always" is not accurate in my experience.
"frequently" is possible depending upon who i was working for at the time.
for example: Procter&Gamble favored seniority over competence.
Unilever was willing to listen to just about any idea which had potential.

as to "why"?
they learned it from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or