U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:07 PM

4,664 posts, read 3,769,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My best friend is a severe introvert and ironically enough works in "public health" - but it's perfect for her. She works for the state with other nerd types crunching numbers and compiling stats on issues that are important to her and rarely has to interact with anyone but other introverts. She took a big pay cut from her previous career, but she actually seems to enjoy her job.

Corporate accounting also seems like another introvert-friendly gig.
Iím in public health and I am on the border of INTP and ENTP for Myers-Briggs. This isnít a bad field for people adverse to human interaction, especially biostatistics.

Anyway, for me itís always what kind of conversations am I gonna deal with in the job. Am I in a retail job with a ďcustomerís always rightĒ attitude where clients can belittle and disrespect me and I canít do much about it? Yeah, Iím going to hate it. I work as a regulator now which forces people to give me some type of respect, but it can also go sour if people keep lying to you and working around you. Or am I going to be dealing with colleagues who at least treat you kindly?

For me, a normal office job would work well. I like talking to people, as long as itís an equal dynamic (see where I talk about power imbalances above) and thereís mutual respect. Itís really up to the individual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 09:23 PM

827 posts, read 599,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Take a free online Myers-Briggs test.
Then google "jobs for ISTJ's" (or whatever your personality type is.

That will give you the information you're looking for.
I have several times over the years. Iím INTP. Meh the suggestions I tend to see on the usual places that give job suggestions donít really help as they seem to range wildly and donít really seem like great fits.

Right now Iím at a job where Iím surrounded by people all day and talking/interacting with them. As others have said you can do a job like that and be introverted as I am great at my job. But Iíd rather do something that I donít dread going to.

Outside of that I also sell stuff online which I love to do. Not much in your face human interaction at least at the level Iím doing it on. I wouldnít mind pouring more time into it to make it more of a full-time thing, but thatís going to take some time. Hopefully one day if I donít find a better fit that is hiring.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:29 PM

827 posts, read 599,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Good job for an introvert: an undertaker.
Unless you run into Brock Lesnar

Iíve actually talked/am kind of friends with a former night manager of a morgue. Iíve been told that it is a good job for introverts, but Iíd rather find something higher paying with more room for growth.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 PM

13,747 posts, read 13,841,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
introversion is not a disability, there is no "scale" of how introverted someone is...

there is introvert, and then there is socially dysfunctional. Those two are not the same
Relax - I wasn't making a diagnosis. We have friends in common and we all joke about how much she dislikes interacting with anyone but us. She could quite happily go weeks without human contact. I have other friends who are introverts, and they don't compare to how much this particular friend likes to be on her own.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:00 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,062,236 times
When AT&T Fiber came into our neighborhood they had to hire laborers to come in and dig the ditches to lay their lines. Miles and miles of 5 foot deep ditches needed to be made. That might be a good job for an introvert. Keep your head down and dig, dig, dig all day, every day.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:51 AM

749 posts, read 280,256 times
I am an introvert and work in public health. I don't like small talks very much, but I can talk and discus about concerns related to work with others well. Most of the times, I go about my days as good morning, how are you? do my job, say good bye and have a nice day when I leave. LOL

Many of my co-workers and managers like the way I work. Whoever dislike me because I don't socialize with them, that's their problem. I just feel tired to be around the ones who talk too much.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:01 AM

2,023 posts, read 661,189 times
Iím very introverted, not at all sociable. Nevertheless, after working in research labs for 12 years (a nice place for introverts BTW) I ended up in outside sales ( and a brief stint in marketing). It is the VERY LAST thing I would have ever said I would do. Honestly, I could not have done it except that I was dealing with very sophisticated research equipment for labs and dealing with scientists as my customers, so I was still partially on a comfortable footing.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:24 AM

749 posts, read 280,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
When AT&T Fiber came into our neighborhood they had to hire laborers to come in and dig the ditches to lay their lines. Miles and miles of 5 foot deep ditches needed to be made. That might be a good job for an introvert. Keep your head down and dig, dig, dig all day, every day.
You sound to look down at people who work the labor work. Those people might not be the introverts, but they might be unfortunate to have no job at that moment, so they would take any kind of job to survive. Or they could not afford to go to college or university to have a degree to get a better job. If those people who kept their heads down and dig all day every day and got good money for doing their job, that was fair and good for them. If not, too bad. And too bad for those who are at work, talk too much about this and that not related to work (usually those in the office who don't have much work to do, or they try to get away with it - I know because I worked together in the same office with a few like that), and they are very judgmental, and when they go home, they still even phone their co-workers and talk about this and that person at work. They seem very bitter. I want to avoid them.

Besides, if there were no those people who did such heavy labor work, there would be no work for those who just sit in the offices and talk and talk and talk. Some office workers are very snob, ungrateful and disrespectful.

There are lots of introverts working in offices, universities, NASA (most of the scientists, philosophers, tech people are introverts) and in the high rank. Look up google. They are thinkers and observers, not talkers. They talk when they need to or want to, not just talk, talk, talk for the sake of talking, like for breathing, if you don't talk, you die.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 05-30-2019 at 07:50 AM..

Old 05-30-2019, 07:26 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,062,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
You sound to look down at people who work the labor work. Those people might not be the introverts, but they might be unfortunate to have no job at that moment, so they would take any kind of job to survive. Or they could not afford to go to college or university to have a degree to get a better job. If those people who kept their heads down and dig all day every day and got good money for doing their job, that was fair and good for them. If not, too bad. And too bad for those who are at work, talk too much about this and that not related to work (usually those in the office who don't have much work to do, or they try to get away with it - I know because I worked together in the same office with a few like that), and they are very judgmental, and when they go home, they still even phone their co-workers and talk about this and that person. They seem very bitter. I want to avoid them.

Besides, if there were no those people who did such heavy labor work, there would be no work for those who just sit in the offices and talk and talk and talk. Some office workers are very snob, ungrateful and disrespectful.
No idea where you drew that conclusion. Someone asked about good jobs for an introvert, I suggested labor.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:02 AM

3,830 posts, read 3,072,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Introverts can do the same jobs as extroverts... They aren't any less socially adjusted.
Yes, this! I'm an introvert and have held fundraising and sales jobs and have worked in a variety of settings from live music to pro sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or