U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 12:28 PM

4,747 posts, read 4,027,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
not in south africa... a lot of the advice centers around american pov but op isn't in the us

Ohhh.

Are their any jobs which include housing as part of pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 12:50 PM

5,454 posts, read 8,154,006 times
Do you believe in God? Pray to Him for what you need. I've been in some hairy situations throughout the years here & there & He's always come through. So when I think I'm going to face something challenging, I pray (like always & NOT just in hairy situations) & I've seen things truly happen at the perfect time!

In the meantime, live like holding onto every dollar depends on it. These next 12 mos, I plan to live like this because I have a few BIG things to save up for & my rent has increased. I plan to:

- Buy groceries at the cheapest stores in my area

- No more shopping for what you want, ONLY for what you NEED

- No eating out, movies, other fun or optional activities unless they're very cheap or FREE

In the meantime, look at these:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9...caEvKazMiEN03Q

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXp...HiwVtG9R05qFig

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr2...H-0oxp5ntzpm-w

I feel for you & wish you the best!

Old 06-04-2019, 04:17 PM

1,834 posts, read 740,978 times
Everyone has already given practical things to do, but it seems like you need help mentally and emotionally. Chin up. Even though you want to lie down and sleep away your depression, push yourself. Think of the dire consequences if you quit your job: homelessness.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:55 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,430,600 times
A co worker gets $1050.00 in SS & that's exactly how much his rent is for his 2/1 apt in Redlands. His rent will jump $75.00 this oct ($1,125.00). I am sure you are eligible for food stamps, etc. Good-luck & I have been in your shoes too many times.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:55 PM

1,021 posts, read 897,016 times
Only in America when a low paying employee demand an apartment of his own. Really, is privacy is all that matters? And your food isn't?

I lived in 3 different countries, it is normal for us to share atleast 3-5 people in a 3 bedroom apartment. Yes, I don't mind sharing a room with a close friend.

Edit: Wait, are you from South Africa OP?

Old 06-05-2019, 04:55 AM

55 posts, read 11,382 times
Yes I am a South African in South Africa..... hard to get any job let alone part time

Old 06-06-2019, 10:03 PM

21 posts, read 3,724 times
Unfortunately, I don't see your question as answerable unless you can make some major life changes.

The obvious ones like to get a better job or a part job has already been addressed and proved to be not applicable.
Second, you already reduced your budget to eating ramen noodles and tuna so that's out.
Third, you have a roommate and am sure you explored moving into a cheaper place with more vile individuals so that's moot.

Here in the USA where most of the replies to your plea come from have many social services that include free food, medical, utility subsidies along with free vocational training, at least temporarily, and am sure you have checked those avenues out in your country.

A few decades ago after a divorce, I lived in my truck in a Walmart parking lot for six months until I could save up enough for an apartment but it was pure hell and scary too.

When I mentioned life changes there isn't much left for you to do except lighten your load and rent a single room in the most deplorable conditions you can tolerate. Save all your money in a bank keeping no cash except for what you need for the moment.

Become the hardest working employee known to man then ask your employer for extra hours or how you can make more money working for them. If you show promise they may be intrigued as it is cheaper to have one person doing 2 shifts, at least in the USA anyway.

What is your age and skill level? that answer may help in further replies.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:52 AM

203 posts, read 74,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Get something part time like grocery or restaurant evening/weekends, to get ahead of the bills (and maybe get free/discounted food). Save up a bit of cash, then look for a better paying job. It's a pretty hot job market right now; you might find something. What are your skills?

Correct! The best job for a poor person is in food service. You can't believe the amount of food that is thrown out daily. Workers usually get to eat leftovers for free. Maybe you can even take them home depending on the job. If you are single, and you have a roommate, get a job where you can eat free and your cost of living is really low. Don't spend any money you don't have to and you can make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or