U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 02:12 PM

2,212 posts, read 934,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieontheblock86 View Post
I have been on FMLA/STD from work due to job stress for approximately seven weeks due to severe depression and anxiety
July 8 th will be my official return to work day if I do not return to work I will lose my job protection status
And could possibly be terminated . I ve been going back and forth with myself on whether I should or I should not go back if I am unable to find a job by that time . Before I left , it was a lot of drama between my self supervisor and I . She lied on me and put me on a PIP , and So I reported her to HR for bullying and harassment during my three years of working under her

The day I left for leave, I broke down and a nervous breakdown and cried in front of the entire department which by the way was very embarrassing

I filed a case with EEOC a week ago against the company and so now if I go back
things will be very strange and awkward

What would be your advice in this situation, should I go back or should I just resign and don’t look back
Return to work on your scheduled return date. You filed a complaint with the EEOC, so you must accept the fact that whatever relationship you had with this employer will never be the same. They will treat you in a professional manner of course, but you have to understand that what you did(while the right thing to do in your eyes)basically severed any emotional ties you had with them.

Whatever your supervisor may have done by lying, you did the right thing by reporting her to HR. If this was your first attempt at reporting her to HR after three years of bullying, that is on YOU. You should have reported it immediately, instead you wait three years and have a breakdown? Something isn’t adding up here.

At any rate, go back on your return date and do your job to the best of your ability. In your free time begin seeking employment elsewhere, and I mean do it like your current job could disappear any day.

Because that is what is going to happen. One way or another you won’t be working there. Maybe the EEOC thing will turn out in your favor and you’ll get a big check in the mail and that will solve your problems for a little while.

I hope you find some amicable solution, and you could easily have done so if you had not let things get to this point by putting up with what you called bullying and harassment for three years.

Last edited by Ron61; 06-01-2019 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 02:48 PM

161 posts, read 42,528 times
Along with FMLA, you also have the right to Reasonable Accommodations to deal with your job stress related disability.

Under the ADA, employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified employees with disabilities, unless doing so would pose an undue hardship. Qualified employees are those who hold the necessary degrees, skills, and experience for the job; and who can perform its essential functions, with or without an accommodation.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...hapter7-8.html

Old 06-02-2019, 08:12 AM

717 posts, read 437,651 times
This is going to sound harsh, but here goes...

I've been noticing more and more of these types of complaints and requests for advice on City Data and in real life, and I have to say...this is, IMO, 100% wholly due to the fact that the "entitled" generation is now coming of age and has been in the workforce for awhile. If the year in the OP's user name is any indication, he/she is a millennial and, while not wanting to lump all millennials in the same bucket, I have to say that the reaction of the OP to the perceived slights and workplace bullying is exactly what was foreshadowed as a consequence of a parenting style that gave trophies to the losing team and told little Jimmy that he was super special and should always get what he wants without question.

Take, for example, this excerpt from a 2017 Forbes article (linked here):

"There’s also a dark side to the individual effects of entitlement. Researchers from Case Western Reserve University found that entitlement typically leads to chronic disappointment; you feel like you deserve certain things, whether tangible or intangible, yet you never get them, so you always leave a situation with unmet expectations.

People then feel frustrated, unhappy, and overall disappointed with life, and cope with this by blaming others—rather than themselves—to continue feeling that it’s the environment that’s responsible for their disappointment. Over time, this can lead to clinical depression and isolation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or