U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2019, 01:26 PM

557 posts, read 158,440 times

Advertisements

I tried to be a flight attendant in the 1980's, but could never meet the weight requirement (I was and still am 5'6" and a size 4- don't get me started on that)

Anyway, it was a blessing in disguise because I finished college, met and married, had kids. I worked in my degree subject (Sports Medicine) for a while, but needed benefits and regular schedule per kids, so went into corporate America, doing fitness on the side.

I have never let go of the FA dream

I am now 50, and my kids are grown, so I can try again. Now the question: Should I?? Based on:

1. I understand the gigantic salary cut, but please put some actual numbers on a year 1 and 2 FA salary

2. How long do I HAVE to live in my base city (as opposed to commuting in when I am needed)?

3. If I do indeed have to live in my base city, how often can I come home? I will have to supplement my income with my Sports Medicine "stuff" so will need to maintain my home to some degree

4. Did you go from US to be based in another country? Details please.

5. I used to be fluent in French. Should I work on that and again become fluent before I even try to apply?

6. Are you union or non-union? What do you recommend and why?

7. Give me any and all pros and cons you can think of and thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 05:46 PM

11,139 posts, read 8,551,921 times
Go to YouTube. There are a ton of FAs who tell what it's like to be a FA, pros &cons, salary, different airlines, etc.

Start here: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ght+attendant+

Old 06-01-2019, 08:12 AM

62 posts, read 17,551 times
Flying in an airplane is similar to riding a bus with all of the obnoxious characters that you have to deal with out in public. As a flight attendant, you're basically a waitress but without the tips.

I know a woman who did it for a while and she made a little over minimum wage and had to sleep in crowded bunks in airports between flights. She told me that she made more money working in restaurants.

Why don't you just keep your corporate job and focus on retirement? Most jobs suck.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:57 AM

11,951 posts, read 21,545,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I tried to be a flight attendant in the 1980's, but could never meet the weight requirement (I was and still am 5'6" and a size 4- don't get me started on that)

Anyway, it was a blessing in disguise because I finished college, met and married, had kids. I worked in my degree subject (Sports Medicine) for a while, but needed benefits and regular schedule per kids, so went into corporate America, doing fitness on the side.

I have never let go of the FA dream

I am now 50, and my kids are grown, so I can try again. Now the question: Should I?? Based on:

1. I understand the gigantic salary cut, but please put some actual numbers on a year 1 and 2 FA salary

2. How long do I HAVE to live in my base city (as opposed to commuting in when I am needed)?

3. If I do indeed have to live in my base city, how often can I come home? I will have to supplement my income with my Sports Medicine "stuff" so will need to maintain my home to some degree

4. Did you go from US to be based in another country? Details please.

5. I used to be fluent in French. Should I work on that and again become fluent before I even try to apply?

6. Are you union or non-union? What do you recommend and why?

7. Give me any and all pros and cons you can think of and thank you in advance!
Being in Dallas you have a few options for home based airlines (eventually).

You want to work for mainline eventually. Either AA or SWA. Both have Dallas domiciles.

Envoy, and a few other regional carriers also have Dallas bases. I'm not sure who exactly. Go to airlinepilotpay.com and on the right side there is a link to legacy, major, and regional carriers. You can click in each and the airlines to see where there are pilot domiciles and there would be a collocated FA domicile as well.

FA pay varies wildly. From the regional carriers to mainline maxed out. Example it might be around $15k-$20k a year at the regional carriers and first year at mainline. But mainline grows substantially over time to $60k-$80k and sometimes more. The FAs at my company make $2k a month selling credit cards for example and that is additional income.

Being fluent in French could be a huge benefit. Example at AA there are FAs that speak certain languages and sit reserve. Since they are special they only get open trips that fly to those destinations most of the time. This results in a large amount of time at home "on call". They do have some airport reserve which is you sitting at the airport but that won't last forever. But Dallas is a VERY senior AA base. It might take several years to get there. All questions you need to ask at the interview.

A good way to try this is to look for a local domiciled regional airline and go through their training. It's not hard but not really super easy. Then apply at AA mainline with the French credential and a few months experience at a regional. SWA would not care about the French speaker ability.

You can commute to anywhere but as a junior FA commuting at a regional or even mainline your life is hell. Most people will not hack it.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:11 AM

11,951 posts, read 21,545,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
Flying in an airplane is similar to riding a bus with all of the obnoxious characters that you have to deal with out in public. As a flight attendant, you're basically a waitress but without the tips.

I know a woman who did it for a while and she made a little over minimum wage and had to sleep in crowded bunks in airports between flights. She told me that she made more money working in restaurants.

Why don't you just keep your corporate job and focus on retirement? Most jobs suck.
Crew stay at name brand hotels such as Marriot, Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, Crowne Plaza, etc. They do not sleep in bunks at airports.

If money isn't the primary driver, the fringe benefits of working for an airline are quite good. Fairly low cost medical for your family, and unlimited free space available flight benefits for your spouse and parents and any kids. For many, those space available passes amount to tens of thousands a year in travel.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:07 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,111,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Crew stay at name brand hotels such as Marriot, Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, Crowne Plaza, etc. They do not sleep in bunks at airports.

If money isn't the primary driver, the fringe benefits of working for an airline are quite good. Fairly low cost medical for your family, and unlimited free space available flight benefits for your spouse and parents and any kids. For many, those space available passes amount to tens of thousands a year in travel.
Absolutely this. My wife and I recently flew to Key West. We flew 1st class, so we chatted with the flight attendant quite a bit. Turned out, she and the rest of the crew were staying in the same $300 a night resort that we were. As we were checking into the resort, she had her the Marriott app open on her phone, and I noticed she was lifetime platinum. So, obviously, they stay at branded quality hotels. They certainly do not sleep in bunks at airports. LOL...Not sure what Surfer Guy is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or