U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:30 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,467 posts, read 1,131,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I have experienced it myself plenty of times. And I wouldn't call myself beautiful or sexy.
Huh. I wonder why is it almost always the "non-beautiful" and "non-sexy" that have experienced it, or have seen it?

Old 06-01-2019, 07:22 PM

3,546 posts, read 1,360,288 times
the 90% who are not beautiful provide more data points.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:48 PM

20,547 posts, read 16,619,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Huh. I wonder why is it almost always the "non-beautiful" and "non-sexy" that have experienced it, or have seen it?
Why would you think that? I was pretty, and the Russian girls I talked about in the summer down here are drop dead gorgeous. Of course it happens to pretty girls, it doesn’t make sense to think it doesn’t. Aside from that one poster, why would you think that’s true?

Old 06-01-2019, 08:26 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why would you think that? I was pretty, and the Russian girls I talked about in the summer down here are drop dead gorgeous. Of course it happens to pretty girls, it doesnít make sense to think it doesnít. Aside from that one poster, why would you think thatís true?
They're trying to antagonize me, and put it on some "all feminists who cry 'I am being harassed!' are ugly" BS. Sexual harassment happens to everyone, men too. But women experience it significantly more, by an exponential amount. I was only refuting the OP's claim that just because you are pretty doesn't mean it will or won't happen to you, all that matters is if you work with disrespectful idiots who feel entitled to treat you like an object.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:10 AM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No. Sexual harassment is when someone in a position of power tries to initiate a romance, perhaps implying you'd get a promotion if.... Or tries to initiate a romance at all. It's inappropriate, no matter what. Sexual harassment is when someone in the office, whether a superior or not, assaults you, grabbing at a body part, or whatever. This happened to a staff member at the university where I worked. There was also a recent article in the NY Times, about a company that encouraged the men at all their retail outlets to harass the women. In some of those cases, sexual harassment was the boss or male coworkers exposing themselves to the sales staff.

This is not people making up stories to sell newspapers. This is a serious problem, that sometimes gets unions involved, the ACLU, or other authorities in defense of the aggrieved worker.

OP, just because you haven't encountered it, doesn't mean it's not a real problem, or that it's been overblown. For the women who have encountered it, it's very real, and can be threatening to their job tenure. A neighbor I'd grown up with had to quit the first job she got out of college, because of this.Back then, there was no support for this issue; no one to lodge a formal complaint to. Back in the 50's, the meme of the boss chasing his secretary around the desk in circles used to be a running joke. It was considered funny. No one ever thought about what the women in that position were going through, dependent on a job like that to support themselves.

Taking the issue seriously is long overdue.
At least according to the sexual harassment training HR put me through a half dozen times over the years, your definition is far too narrow. Itís not just an abuse of power. You can sexually harass a peer.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:02 AM

2,904 posts, read 2,012,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I started a job once and there was a woman in media relations that seemed to do no work. She did little things, but still was the highest paid staff member. I had no idea what was going on, until somebody clued me in that the President and her were having a long term affair. Both were married, and all spouses knew. He even took her on trips, saying it was for "capital raising and seeking investors" - but he never brought back any new funds. He did spend some great times on the company dime. After awhile, one of my co-workers made the mistake of yelling at the woman over some ridiculous demand she made. He was fired soon after. The President was finally removed. His mistress was gone the same week. She had no function outside of her "service" to the President! You see this kind of crap and it makes you disillusioned with working. It goes on everywhere.
It sounds like the victims here were a.) the employees other than the company president, and the "media relations" mistress; and b.) the spouses of these two.

It's obvious how the spouses were the victims and the employees were the victims by being indirectly harassed by having to put up with a work environment in which this kind of behavior was tolerated. The employee who lost his job was especially victimized by this.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:54 AM

38,138 posts, read 14,902,572 times
One reason that women who work at presenting themselves as sexy may not experience what goes on as harassment is that they are seeking this response.

Years ago, I worked at an agency where one of the women wore high-heeled, backless sandals and low-cut sundresses to work. Clip-clip-clip-clip-clip. You could hear her coming a building away.

Male supervisors and co-workers would peer down as she constantly readjusted the straps on her sundresses. What she viewed as flirty fun between her and any man within sight, the rest of viewed as inappropriate workplace interactions.

Some of the guys tried this with everyone. The rest of us just put up with it. What could you do? She's the only person who welcomed it, thought nothing of it.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:13 AM

6,841 posts, read 3,714,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
At least according to the sexual harassment training HR put me through a half dozen times over the years, your definition is far too narrow. Itís not just an abuse of power. You can sexually harass a peer.
Heck the training I went though was that basically your mere existence as a male was sufficient to be harassment. What was most interesting was how the females in the class were embarrassed and apologized to the males for how over the top the class was.

The real backlash that is hurting all women is today I try to avoid any situation where I will be alone with a woman, where I have to work on a project with a woman, mentor a woman, or anything else. A few weeks ago a woman asked if I'd help find something in the storeroom. A simple request, one I'd done many times with various coworkers. Then I realized we were the only ones back there and all I could think about was how simply being alone in the storeroom with her could go wrong in so many ways and how could I get out of there as quickly as possible.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:42 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 24 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,138,014 times
Foul language is open and common. I suspect real harassment occurs with no other people around. I can't know if it's common or not, I've never been a victim or perpetrator.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:03 AM

6,841 posts, read 3,714,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Foul language is open and common. I suspect real harassment occurs with no other people around. I can't know if it's common or not, I've never been a victim or perpetrator.
Kind of a funny thing. A few years ago I shared an office with a woman. She was highly educated, on the management fast track. Well thought of by all the senor management. Yet she cursed more and worse than any I'd experienced during my military career. Very first phone call I heard her make went something like this: They'd better not Mod cut.. And it continued that way the whole time I worked with her until she got a promotion and moved. If it were the other way around, I'd be hit with creating a hostile work environment.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-03-2019 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Vulgar language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or