U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 12:19 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,467 posts, read 1,131,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
They're trying to antagonize me, and put it on some "all feminists who cry 'I am being harassed!' are ugly" BS. Sexual harassment happens to everyone, men too. But women experience it significantly more, by an exponential amount. I was only refuting the OP's claim that just because you are pretty doesn't mean it will or won't happen to you, all that matters is if you work with disrespectful idiots who feel entitled to treat you like an object.
Not all, but they all share the same trait--misery. I've yet to meet a happy feminist. Otherwise how do you square up with a statement such as "sexual harassment happens to everyone"? It's the equivalent of the men's "rights" movement who proclaim every woman is a gold digger, while decrying their status of a bachelor.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:47 AM

23,991 posts, read 32,804,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
I graduated from college at age 22 and got my first professional job in an office for a mid-sized corporation at age 23. Since then I have worked for three employers with varied sized corporate office settings. I am told by friends and family I am very pretty and sexy but have never had any trouble at work with harassment by the men. Most people are just indifferent to me.

The media tells us that most women will experience sexual harassment at the office. I asked my female friends and family and no one says they have been harassed at work. Do you think the reporting of the problem is just a way to sell newspapers and get Internet site clicks? And there really isn't much of problem with sexual harassment in most offices.
In 21 years I have rarely seen what I would classify as straight-up sexual "harassment."

National origin discrimination (in favor of Asians), age discrimination, and sex discrimination are far more common. I see those all the time.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:04 AM

20,535 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In 21 years I have rarely seen what I would classify as straight-up sexual "harassment."

National origin discrimination (in favor of Asians), age discrimination, and sex discrimination are far more common. I see those all the time.
You wouldn’t normally see it unless you were part of it.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:04 AM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,902 posts, read 5,233,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You either had some really poor instructions/instructors or misinterpreted what you could and couldn't do. There are very few situations where you actually need to be alone with any employee. If you can't be a bit creative and mentor someone in a break area, cafeteria, or open-door room then I don't think you have any value to offer. You're causing yourself undue stress but it's your life.
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

+1. My husband teaches sexual harassment seminars for a living. Without fail, there is always one in the group who deliberately misconstrues the message, puffs out his chest, and declares that he simply won't speak to or interact with women at all.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-03-2019 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 09:16 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,888,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
I graduated from college at age 22 and got my first professional job in an office for a mid-sized corporation at age 23. Since then I have worked for three employers with varied sized corporate office settings. I am told by friends and family I am very pretty and sexy but have never had any trouble at work with harassment by the men. Most people are just indifferent to me.

The media tells us that most women will experience sexual harassment at the office. I asked my female friends and family and no one says they have been harassed at work. Do you think the reporting of the problem is just a way to sell newspapers and get Internet site clicks? And there really isn't much of problem with sexual harassment in most offices.
Oh please.....you are so naive. Maybe you'll get harassed at some point and finally see the true picture.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:37 AM

10,194 posts, read 12,240,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
All the places I work have absolutely no tolerance for it to the point I wouldn't even consider dating or asking someone out on a date at work. However, there are slimeballs other there who will sexually harass and and equal number of slimeballs who will weaponize sexual misconduct claims.
This is what I think too......

I know a woman that got a sizable settlement for sexual harassment (over 1mm). She was a former stripper who misrepresented her past employment and the company said they fired her for that, not the fact the manager was busted doing inappropriate things/hidden cameras etc. She was sleazy from the get go, got the cash and subsequently got swindled by a Madoff type scheme. She had money for about 3 years and was back to broke.

As the song says, Isn't it Ironic......

Old 06-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
+1. My husband teaches sexual harassment seminars for a living. Without fail, there is always one in the group who deliberately misconstrues the message, puffs out his chest, and declares that he simply won't speak to or interact with women at all.
As will somebody on the other side who'll consider any interaction, comment or behavior as sexual harassment.

Your husband has a job not because everyone gets sexually harassed, but rather because even one moderate to big lawsuit can cause a major headache.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:44 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,226,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Yes, most women do. It is often subtle. And completely inappropriate.

I have had a Supervisor walk pass me as I was sitting down with my legs crosses, "great legs" he says.
Same one, "You look great in that dress".

Both--completely inappropriate in the workplace.

Had another one tell an inappropriate joke. I have known him for 18 years, we are friends. I just looked at him. He realized his mistake and apologized. What made him think it was going to be okay?

Had another young man from another department stalk me in the mornings for a few months. He first just said hi, then it went to touching my shoulders, to kissing my head. I started going another way, sometimes I would see still see him and be deliberate to go another direction when he saw me. He got the hint and finally let me alone. A couple of weeks before I had told a Manager I was having a creepy guy stalk me--he asked me if I had told him I was uncomfortable. &^%$ I was shocked by his response.

I shared ^ that story with my husband one day when the whole "me too" was in the forefront of the News. He was shocked. I told him women have to put up with this crap all the time.

Note, I am 61--it never stops. Stupid stuff I should not have to put up with.
OK, so one off color joke or one comment constitutes sexual harassment? That is a ridiculous statement typical of man hating feminists who use sexual harassment charges to torment men.

And what if a women tells something similar to a man? Would you consider woman saying "you look great in this suite" harassment? How about women complimenting men on their shoes, etc.?

Old 06-03-2019, 10:50 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,226,560 times
The trouble with sexual harassment is that there is no firm definition for it. When a man tell a woman that she looks great in that dress, is that harassment? Is a one time inappropriate joke harassment? In my opinion, it is clearly not, just an innocent mistake.

To me, sexual harassment means that an employee is forced to provide some physical or mental sexual services in order to either do their every day job or to get a promotion. I think this kind of harassment is extremely rare though it probably happens.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
The trouble with sexual harassment is that there is no firm definition for it. When a man tell a woman that she looks great in that dress, is that harassment? Is a one time inappropriate joke harassment? In my opinion, it is clearly not, just an innocent mistake.

To me, sexual harassment means that an employee is forced to provide some physical or mental sexual services in order to either do their every day job or to get a promotion. I think this kind of harassment is extremely rare though it probably happens.
It's not vague, when it comes to courts. What we're discussing here isn't sexual harassment, but the perception of one. None of things here women have brought constitute actual sexual harassment. Just because I feel or think I'm Brad Pitt on any given Thursday, the reality doesn't make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or