U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 11:07 AM

78,520 posts, read 70,430,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
As will somebody on the other side who'll consider any interaction, comment or behavior as sexual harassment.

Your husband has a job not because everyone gets sexually harassed, but rather because even one moderate to big lawsuit can cause a major headache.
No one on this thread has said that "everyone gets sexually harassed", and that wouldn't be why a company or organization would hire someone to provide a seminar on the topic. It's all about prevention (as you seem to be aware). And of course, the same goes for female supervisors and managers, or university faculty.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:08 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,225,378 times
Quote:
It's not vague, when it comes to courts.
Probably, but man hating feminist mafia usually considers all men guilty until proven innocent and any accusation that woman makes true by default.

So do you know what the actual definition of sexual harassment is that makes it a criminal offense?

Quote:
What we're discussing here isn't sexual harassment, but the perception of one. None of things here women have brought constitute actual sexual harassment. Just because I feel or think I'm Brad Pitt on any given Thursday, the reality doesn't make it so.
I agree.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 AM

78,520 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
It's not vague, when it comes to courts. What we're discussing here isn't sexual harassment, but the perception of one. None of things here women have brought constitute actual sexual harassment. Just because I feel or think I'm Brad Pitt on any given Thursday, the reality doesn't make it so.
"here"? "Here", where? It sounds like you didn't read my first post. Here, allow me to assist (post #15):
Quote:
Sexual harassment is when someone in a position of power tries to initiate a romance, perhaps implying you'd get a promotion if.... Or tries to initiate a romance at all. It's inappropriate, no matter what. Sexual harassment is when someone in the office, whether a superior or not, assaults you, grabbing at a body part, or whatever. This happened to a staff member at the university where I worked. There was also a recent article in the NY Times, about a company that encouraged the men at all their retail outlets to harass the women. In some of those cases, sexual harassment was the boss or male coworkers exposing themselves to the sales staff.
Is that "actual" enough for you?

Old 06-03-2019, 11:14 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,467 posts, read 1,130,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No one on this thread has said that "everyone gets sexually harassed", and that wouldn't be why a company or organization would hire someone to provide a seminar on the topic. It's all about prevention (as you seem to be aware). And of course, the same goes for female supervisors and managers, or university faculty.
"Sexual harassment happens to everyone, men too"

The above quote is from poster named "prickly bear" on page 3.

Companies don't bring in external consultants to prevent sexual harassment, but rather to manage risk.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:19 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"here"? "Here", where? It sounds like you didn't read my first post. Here, allow me to assist (post #15):
Is that "actual" enough for you?
What I meant actual, and I think you know this since your level of reasoning is a bit above the garden variety found here, is the instances of women experiencing themselves "actual" workplace sexual harassment.

Now, of course I know many instances of sexual harassment go unreported, and women often leave rather than fight. None of that means though that sexual harassment is as prevalent as it's made out to be.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:20 AM

20,521 posts, read 16,599,446 times
Quote:
"Sexual harassment happens to everyone, men too"

The above quote is from poster named "prickly bear" on page 3.

Companies don't bring in external consultants to prevent sexual harassment, but rather to manage risk.
That was in the context of whether it’s only pretty or only unattractive women that get harassed. When she said “everyone gets harassed” of course she didn’t mean every single person in the world, she meant everyone whether fat or skinny, ugly or attractive. She means it doesn’t discriminate. good grief. You can just pull one sentence out of a post and try to present it without the context of the rest of the post in order to imply its meaning as something other than what it does.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Probably, but man hating feminist mafia usually considers all men guilty until proven innocent and any accusation that woman makes true by default.

So do you know what the actual definition of sexual harassment is that makes it a criminal offense?

I agree.
Workplace sexual harassment isn't a criminal offense, but rather a civil one. Sexual assault is a criminal offense, however.

As far as what courts have deemed illegal, look up some court cases, and you'll see it's much narrower than what is presented here.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That was in the context of whether it’s only pretty or only unattractive women that get harassed. When she said “everyone gets harassed” of course she didn’t mean every single person in the world, she meant everyone whether fat or skinny, ugly or attractive. She means it doesn’t discriminate. good grief. You can just pull one sentence out of a post and try to present it without the context of the rest of the post in order to imply its meaning as something other than what it does.
I understand. But in your rush to discredit my point, you actually proved it. By saying fat, skinny, pretty, ugly women get harassed, or that it doesn't discriminate, doesn't that mean EVERYONE?

Oh, now context all of a sudden matters? But, it doesn't when a woman "feels" or "thinks" she's harassed? Then it should be taken as a bible? Who can keep up with the hypocrisy anymore?

Old 06-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,903 posts, read 5,230,849 times
Quote:
As will somebody on the other side who'll consider any interaction, comment or behavior as sexual harassment.

Your husband has a job not because everyone gets sexually harassed, but rather because even one moderate to big lawsuit can cause a major headache.
He has a job because of persistent confusion and misunderstanding over what constitutes sexual harassment. It's not just about preventing lawsuits, but preventing this behavior in the workplace the first place and making people aware of how their own behavior may be perceived as harassment.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 06-03-2019 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 11:39 AM

579 posts, read 135,960 times
Off the rails a bit but related...

When I was made a dept. manager back in the early 90's in my 1000 + employee place of employment, my director was giving me the grand tour.

As he was handing me the keys to my office, he told me there was one rule that I should never forget whenever I was in my office.

The rule was... If I ever had a female visiting in my office alone with me, I was to NEVER, EVER... close the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or