U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 10:22 AM

155 posts, read 304,647 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a business development manager/inside sales manager for a 70 person division of a large company. I was flabbergasted last week when our marketing manager sent an email to me (and CC'd my boss on it) asking me to help her with writing and putting out the internal weekly employee company newsletter. I have no idea why she'd think I'd be interested in doing it or have any talent at doing it but I wanted to be helpful and be a team player so I replied "I'd be happy to help. Let's discuss soon", thinking that I could help with ideas, maybe submit some articles sometimes, etc...

So on our phone call to discuss it further the very first thing she said was "I'm so happy you agreed to take this over"... and I'm thinking to myself "I said I would help, not take it over!" but as I listened to her and she explained how she does it, where the template is, who to get certain info from.. etc.. I realize that she is asking me to totally do it all. I've never heard of anyone in sales being responsible for an internal employee newsletter. It seems to me like that is totally within the realm of marketing or maybe HR.

I realize now that I should have said right then and there that I don't want to do it but I told her that I didn't really feel that it was in my wheelhouse but that I would give it a try. I also suggested that she change it from a weekly format to only once a month so there will be less pressure to come up with interesting and new and relevant topics. But she said she'd rather stick with weekly but might consider bi-weekly in the future.

The more I think about it the more it's bothering me because I really don't want to do it. I have no idea why she asked me to do it other than she doesn't want to do it herself.

My boss replied to the email thread with 'Thanks for helping out" so I kind of feel like he wants me to do it but I haven't discussed it with him yet.

I really like my job and enjoy what I do but it's very high pressure (like most sales jobs usually are) and it's very metrics driven with production goals and the last thing I need to worry about is doing a weekly newsletter on top of trying to meet my own goals. However, I do want to help and be a team player so I'm very conflicted.

I get paid VERY well (the most I've ever made) and have great benefits and get to work from home and manage my own time and this is probably the best job I've ever had. BUT I was so stressed about having to do this newsletter every week that I couldn't even sleep last night was considering quitting to avoid the stress.

What would you do in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 10:34 AM

5,034 posts, read 3,218,948 times
I come back with "I thought this out and due to my workload, either it's once a month or I'll have to hand it back to you. I cannot in good conscience give it the amount of work it requires of me"

Then if they balk say "Well, I'm sorry, but since I have other matters more pressing, I have to decline"

Old 06-01-2019, 10:53 AM

336 posts, read 144,717 times
I agree with the post above me. I would say something that after having a verbal discussion with X, to find out the details of this project, you don't see this to be a good fit for you at this time.

I am afraid that if you say that you are too busy with your job, your manager may take some of your job duties away from you, which may cost you employment in the long run.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:57 AM

2,296 posts, read 1,160,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilove View Post
I get paid VERY well (the most I've ever made) and have great benefits and get to work from home and manage my own time and this is probably the best job I've ever had. BUT I was so stressed about having to do this newsletter every week that I couldn't even sleep last night was considering quitting to avoid the stress.

"After thinking it over and realizing the actual scope of involvement, I'm going to have to decline. I'm happy to help out once in a while on matters that I can speak directly to, but I do not have the time or resources to take on managing the entire newsletter."

Old 06-01-2019, 12:06 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,912,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I come back with "I thought this out and due to my workload, either it's once a month or I'll have to hand it back to you. I cannot in good conscience give it the amount of work it requires of me"

Then if they balk say "Well, I'm sorry, but since I have other matters more pressing, I have to decline"

This....

Old 06-01-2019, 12:20 PM

62 posts, read 17,492 times
Don't you just love coworkers who try to pawn off their work on you? I had one a couple of months ago tell the boss that since I'm in charge of the project that we're working on, I'm responsible for completing part of her task. No, it doesn't work that way, and the boss agreed. I assigned it out to her for her to complete, and then afterwards I reviewed her work. I wasn't going to do it for her because she's lazy.

This same coworker also spends long periods of time on her phone chatting with whoever and shows up late and calls out sick often. She uses the "but I have kids" excuse for her attendance problems.

I can't wait to retire and be done with work people!!

Old 06-01-2019, 01:06 PM

17,307 posts, read 10,212,749 times
Is it really going to kill you that much to do it?

You already agreed in principle to do this, not only to her, but also your boss thanked you for doing this.

You should have said something right off the bat on the phone, which you realize, but you didn't, so deal with it. What's done is done, is it worth looking bad now and backtracking?

Since you have the blessing from your boss, it shouldn't be that hard to find some time to do this. The biggest challenge is getting the first weekly news letter out. But once you figured out all the logistics and details, it should get easier after that. Besides, you say you are a manager, can't you also delegate some aspects of this?

Old 06-01-2019, 01:44 PM

1,700 posts, read 556,077 times
If it were me, I'd tell my boss I'm happy to help, but we'd need to be clear on the scope of responsibilities. My existing work takes priority, and if I hit capacity, the newsletter is what I will let slip. I'd say I'll happily help in the short term to transition it to someone who makes more sense on a long term basis.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:32 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,674,311 times
I'd "give it some thought" and then come back with why you're declining. Or why you're declining to do it weekly but are agreeing to do it monthly.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:00 AM

9,168 posts, read 3,010,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilove View Post
Hello all,

I'm a business development manager/inside sales manager for a 70 person division of a large company. I was flabbergasted last week when our marketing manager sent an email to me (and CC'd my boss on it) asking me to help her with writing and putting out the internal weekly employee company newsletter. I have no idea why she'd think I'd be interested in doing it or have any talent at doing it but I wanted to be helpful and be a team player so I replied "I'd be happy to help. Let's discuss soon", thinking that I could help with ideas, maybe submit some articles sometimes, etc...

So on our phone call to discuss it further the very first thing she said was "I'm so happy you agreed to take this over"... and I'm thinking to myself "I said I would help, not take it over!" but as I listened to her and she explained how she does it, where the template is, who to get certain info from.. etc.. I realize that she is asking me to totally do it all. I've never heard of anyone in sales being responsible for an internal employee newsletter. It seems to me like that is totally within the realm of marketing or maybe HR.

I realize now that I should have said right then and there that I don't want to do it but I told her that I didn't really feel that it was in my wheelhouse but that I would give it a try. I also suggested that she change it from a weekly format to only once a month so there will be less pressure to come up with interesting and new and relevant topics. But she said she'd rather stick with weekly but might consider bi-weekly in the future.

The more I think about it the more it's bothering me because I really don't want to do it. I have no idea why she asked me to do it other than she doesn't want to do it herself.

My boss replied to the email thread with 'Thanks for helping out" so I kind of feel like he wants me to do it but I haven't discussed it with him yet.

I really like my job and enjoy what I do but it's very high pressure (like most sales jobs usually are) and it's very metrics driven with production goals and the last thing I need to worry about is doing a weekly newsletter on top of trying to meet my own goals. However, I do want to help and be a team player so I'm very conflicted.

What I would do is make sure that my boss gives me time away from my regular duties to cover all the time I'd spend on this newsletter. And insist that all the time doing anything related to it is covered. Whoever might be assigned to do part of your duties might be a slacker and leave a lot of it for you to do on your days off. You could find yourself in a trap. And the level of work might be a downgrade from what you have previously done and promotions might be affected. I ran into the same thing whenever I took vacation time from a job. Those who were appointed to do several special duties, never did them at all and I was stuck after hours taking care of the piles of paperwork they should have done. When I complained, the boss said, "Well, that's why you're here, to do all those things".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or