U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 03:52 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,262,650 times

Advertisements

Don't ever worry about quitting a job when you've got another one lined up. Just give your notice, don't complain about anything that happened, and leave on a positive note so you can have them as a reference. This is part of life.

And the beat goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 04:09 PM

574 posts, read 648,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
You're leaving for reason.

Sounds like a disaster.

You are not obligated to tell them why.

But you should.

Be direct; be sincere.

Font worry. Don't be too nice.

That is a weakness.
Bad advice. Put in the notice and leave without burning any bridges. Don't say anything besides x day is your last.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:10 PM

574 posts, read 648,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
So long as you give a notice of 2 weeks you should have no worries.
I got news for OP. your really not an integral piece of your company. Less than 24 hours after your notice, a replacement will be found. Your just a number, as we all are.
Good luck in your future employment.
Every worker in our country can be replaced. Some jobs just take longer to fill.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:01 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,579,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
Think Im putting pressure on it since my manager is not physically in my office where I can pull her aside and chat, as Im used to..

Thanks for your input!
Don't you have weekly or biweekly 1-1's with your manager? If not, then yeah you definitely need to get out if you aren't happy.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:49 AM

8,231 posts, read 5,393,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Bad advice. Two weeks notice is expected, whether or not the company gives you that amount of notice. Normally if they remove you immediately, you will get 2 weeks pay.

Don't burn any bridges. Give the proper notice, and avoid any potential bad references in the future. Doing the right thing is never the wrong thing.
You might want to read post #1 and the post that i quoted. OP is romancing a 2 weeks notice. All i am saying is not to do that. Just give your 2 weeks notice and move on.

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 06-03-2019 at 05:20 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 06:08 AM

34 posts, read 10,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You might want to read post #1 and the post that i quoted. OP is romancing a 2 weeks notice. All i am saying is not to do that. Just give your 2 weeks notice and move on.
Im not romancing it. I dont want to simply call my manager and say I quit, good bye (though that would be easy!) Again, was hoping for advice on how to word it and if giving an explanation is necessary, aside from XX is my last day.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 AM

3,821 posts, read 3,042,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
Im not romancing it. I dont want to simply call my manager and say I quit, good bye (though that would be easy!) Again, was hoping for advice on how to word it and if giving an explanation is necessary, aside from XX is my last day.
You don't owe any explanation. In your shoes, I would simply state that I have accepted another job offer and then proceed to discuss with your manager what you should do for your final 2 weeks in order to wrap up.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:18 AM

3,912 posts, read 2,028,321 times
You don't owe your employer an explanation. Give your notice and move on.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:43 AM

328 posts, read 400,183 times
Lots of good advice already for OP. Just keep it short and simple, don't try too hard with your e-mail as you'll come off as a bit fake. Just thank your manager for the opportunity to work with him/her and hope that your paths will cross again in the future. Don't resign over the telephone, do it by e-mail to create a paper trail. Should your Manager want to discuss by telephone, then do so but keep the conversation direct without disclosing too much.

It's an awkward thing to get through but millions has done it, so you're not in a unique situation at all. Easy peasy, and congrats.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:55 AM

15,809 posts, read 26,930,946 times
One year at this job? You have another job that you are leaving for. After a few years this one year job will be a small footnote. After 10 years it shouldn't be on your resume.

You can turn in your notice and walk away no problems.

Or you can turn in your notice and let them know that they have a problem at this location. Realize that their problem is not your problem.

I prefer to walk away.

My dad on the other hand:

My dad left his last job to retire back in 2001. Prior to leaving he wrote a letter to his VP that filtered up to the CEO. He informed them about what was wrong with the division and how they may want to make changes to fix the problem. He was on his way out and did not care at this point. Many of the things that he wrote about were problem areas that the business could be held liable for. They were things that my dad spent several years fixing and these things were never resolved. The problems kept coming back. Unfortunately the C suite did not care to fix anything. My dad retired within a month. By 2007 this company, a nationwide banking conglomerate, was investigated for doing the things that my dad said they needed to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or