U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 12:53 PM

33 posts, read 9,594 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I’m becoming a nervous wreck this weekend about having to give notice. Long story short, I’ve been with my company just over a year. The past few months have gone downhill. It went from a negative office culture, to NO office culture, as almost everyone has since quit or left the company.

There’s only 1-3 people (including myself) in the office on any given day. I love being around people - so this has been really isolating and quite frankly, miserable. The turnover is sky high.

I report to my manager virtually - who has never been to my specific office and doesn’t understand how *poorly* it is managed and that the office is overall empty. I found a new opportunity in another state (I moved to a new state for this position, and it’s not for me, which is another huge driving motivator for getting out!)

I know my manager will be blindsided once I call in, and I’m not sure where to take this conversation. How do I explain that I’m leaving? Do I give the honest answer that I don’t like this state - or that the office is falling a part - or that I simply have another opportunity? I really want to leave on good terms with my manager - for future references, etc. But again, since I report virtually to her, she only hears me say “good” things on the phone, where I obviously don’t express my dissatisfaction with the office (not my role, which I do like).

Thanks in advance for your experiences and tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 12:56 PM

528 posts, read 618,090 times
Put in your notice and keep the mouth and move on. They will go and hire someone and life goes on.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:57 PM

58 posts, read 16,497 times
Why are you nervous? If I were you, I'd send the boss a simple e-mail such as "I'm resigning from my position effective two weeks from today. I have appreciated working here, and at this time I have decided to pursue another opportunity."

That's it. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

Haven't you quit a job before?

Old 06-01-2019, 01:03 PM

33 posts, read 9,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
Why are you nervous? If I were you, I'd send the boss a simple e-mail such as "I'm resigning from my position effective two weeks from today. I have appreciated working here, and at this time I have decided to pursue another opportunity."

That's it. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

Haven't you quit a job before?
Think Iím putting pressure on it since my manager is not physically in my office where I can pull her aside and chat, as Iím used to..

Thanks for your input!

Old 06-01-2019, 05:39 PM

4,343 posts, read 7,985,937 times
Since she's not in the same office and you can't do it in person - I would call her. No matter how bad they've treated you (and it seems like your manager isn't the culprit) take the high road and always quit in person, or the next feasible option.

But you don't owe her any explanation, etc. Just say you have accepted a new opportunity and your last day will be X. Thank her for the opportunity and that you will make sure the transition of your role will be done smoothly.

Since you are moving out of the area - this provides a great excuse if you are asked why you are leaving. You've always wanted to go to <name of town> or that the opportunity aligns well with your career goals.

No need to provide any insight into the issues. Not your problem.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:20 PM

793 posts, read 211,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Since she's not in the same office and you can't do it in person - I would call her. No matter how bad they've treated you (and it seems like your manager isn't the culprit) take the high road and always quit in person, or the next feasible option.

But you don't owe her any explanation, etc. Just say you have accepted a new opportunity and your last day will be X. Thank her for the opportunity and that you will make sure the transition of your role will be done smoothly.

Since you are moving out of the area - this provides a great excuse if you are asked why you are leaving. You've always wanted to go to <name of town> or that the opportunity aligns well with your career goals.

No need to provide any insight into the issues. Not your problem.

This. If the office has had high turnover and your manager has not visited the office in over a year to learn what is going on, she has not done her job. Don't make it your problem.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:04 AM

5,026 posts, read 3,211,192 times
"Why are you leaving?"

"I have seriously considered staying, but other opportunities have presented me a path I wish to follow. Thanks for the chance, but I will be quitting"

Old 06-02-2019, 05:25 AM

1,934 posts, read 347,613 times
OP, if there has been such high turnover, I doubt your manager will be surprised.

I agree with the tactic of simply dealing with it matter-of-factly and moving on. People leave jobs every day, nothing to feel anxious about.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:54 AM

4,805 posts, read 1,983,159 times
Make sure that HR gets a copy of the notice. This prevents your boss from calling it job abandonment.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:11 AM

689 posts, read 249,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Make sure that HR gets a copy of the notice. This prevents your boss from calling it job abandonment.
That's a good advice.

OP, scan your notice letter to your email and send it to the HR through your email. If you use work email to send, remember to bcc (blind cc) to your personal email also. So you have an electronic prove.

The company owes you nothing; you owe the company nothing. Most companies use you to the max when you are healthy and devote your life, to do a lot for them, and later, when they think or see they can't use you anymore, they kick you to the curb. So when you can find somewhere else that offers you a better job with with higher pay, just jump. Don't feel guilty. Don't feel nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or