Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,453 times

Advertisements

My mother has multiple chronic conditions due to which she needs assistance for day-to-day activities and psychological support. She splits her time between USA and a foreign country. She sees doctors only in the foreign country. She has been in USA for couple of months, my wife helped her and now due to change of circumstance needs my help. I want to take FMLA for 2-3 months.

Is it OK to get the medical certification from the doctor in foreign country since that is where all her treatment happened and her medical records are present, even though she saw him two months back? Or do we need to get it from doctor in USA?

For her conditions which began many years ago, what should the doctor specify for the question when did the condition start? Or should he mention the date she arrived in USA since she needs assistance here since we are her only family?

For estimate of time care is needed, can he mention 6 months (her duration of stay in USA) - in case I need to take leave at a later time? For continuous leave, can he give the start and end dates for the two months that I am requesting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 07:36 PM

663 posts, read 427,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkk View Post
My mother has multiple chronic conditions due to which she needs assistance for day-to-day activities and psychological support. She splits her time between USA and a foreign country. She sees doctors only in the foreign country. She has been in USA for couple of months, my wife helped her and now due to change of circumstance needs my help. I want to take FMLA for 2-3 months.

Is it OK to get the medical certification from the doctor in foreign country since that is where all her treatment happened and her medical records are present, even though she saw him two months back? Or do we need to get it from doctor in USA?

For her conditions which began many years ago, what should the doctor specify for the question when did the condition start? Or should he mention the date she arrived in USA since she needs assistance here since we are her only family?

For estimate of time care is needed, can he mention 6 months (her duration of stay in USA) - in case I need to take leave at a later time? For continuous leave, can he give the start and end dates for the two months that I am requesting.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/employeeguide.htm
Download the employee guide. From the guide in read it follows that the doctor in the foreign country's documentation would be acceptable. T

Health Care Providers
If an employer requires a medical certification, part of it must be completed by a health care provider,
which is defined as:
• A doctor of medicine or osteopathy authorized to practice medicine or surgery by the state in which
the doctor practices,

• A podiatrist, dentist, clinical psychologist, optometrist, or chiropractor (with limitations) authorized to
practice in the state and performing within the scope of his or her practice;
• A nurse practitioner, nurse-midwife, clinical social worker, or physician assistant authorized to
practice in the state and performing within the scope of his or her practice;
• A Christian Science practitioner listed with the First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston,
Massachusetts; or
• Any health care provider from whom the employer or the employer’s group health plan’s benefits
manager will accept a medical certification to substantiate a claim for benefits

Estimate of time... should be the entire time you may be responsible for her care... Continuous for 2 months and intermittent after that.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:44 PM

13,046 posts, read 20,703,285 times
Certification from a foreign health care provider is acceptable. However, your employer, at their expense, can request an evaluation by a health care provider of their choosing to verify the authenticity of the foreign health care provider or to certify that the condition does actually exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment