U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 05:53 AM

4,079 posts, read 2,943,572 times

Advertisements

I have become quite disgruntled with Corporate America. I've seen this same story played out again and again throughout my career..........companies grow too fast, then they spend the next decade trying to make up for their own mistakes by downsizing and lumping more work onto those "lucky few" who survived the layoffs. Long/stressful hours burn people out quickly and this awful way to do business just repeats itself over and over again.

Do what you have to do in life to get ahead. If that means lying on a resume, so be it. If that means moonlighting with a competitor, go for it. If you have to job-hop from company to company to garner a living wage, do it. I have ZERO loyalty to any company any longer as I've been on the receiving end of layoffs far too often and these executives don't give putting people out of work a second thought as long as that means they hit their targets for the year and they receive their ridiculous bonuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 09:50 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,716,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Seems like these horror stories are going on all over the private sector. Jobs not getting filled. Just thrown on to someone else for no extra pay and everywhere is short staffed. Is this happening in the public sector now as well?
Oh yes. We're heavily short staffed. In fact it's become pat of the political game. First declare some ambitious goal. Then cut staff to where it can't be done. Wait for the citizen complaints. Hold a press conference to declare your horror at the failure of those overpaid bureaucrats. Conduct hearings that generate a lot of soundbites. Outsource to a contractor/campaign donor for twice the cost.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 AM

614 posts, read 431,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I have become quite disgruntled with Corporate America. I've seen this same story played out again and again throughout my career..........companies grow too fast, then they spend the next decade trying to make up for their own mistakes by downsizing and lumping more work onto those "lucky few" who survived the layoffs. Long/stressful hours burn people out quickly and this awful way to do business just repeats itself over and over again.

Do what you have to do in life to get ahead. If that means lying on a resume, so be it. If that means moonlighting with a competitor, go for it. If you have to job-hop from company to company to garner a living wage, do it. I have ZERO loyalty to any company any longer as I've been on the receiving end of layoffs far too often and these executives don't give putting people out of work a second thought as long as that means they hit their targets for the year and they receive their ridiculous bonuses.
We as a society continue to put up with it though. We continue to buy products from these companies and we continue to bury ourselves in debt so we're dependent on these companies for a pay check.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:16 AM

2,203 posts, read 538,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I thought this supposed to be the lowest unemployment rate ever and best economy of all time?
It is the lowest in the past 50 years or so. The economy IS going gangbusters.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:38 AM

6,569 posts, read 8,101,081 times
Any area if work has must do's and nice to do's. Where I worked we staffed above that needed to accomplish the must do's with tech and other factor driven productivity. We never staffed to do all the nice to haves but they were their for the star worker to tackle in order of priority, i.e valid. This idea that work stays the same in man hurs to do it is foolish and childish. We need grownups to get things done.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,903 posts, read 5,236,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Seems like these horror stories are going on all over the private sector. Jobs not getting filled. Just thrown on to someone else for no extra pay and everywhere is short staffed. Is this happening in the public sector now as well?
The public sector has always been chronically understaffed.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:28 PM

1,088 posts, read 650,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
The public sector has always been chronically understaffed.
They don't seem concerned about it at the Post Office or DMV. Nobody has less of a sense of urgency than those people.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:00 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,903 posts, read 5,236,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
They don't seem concerned about it at the Post Office or DMV. Nobody has less of a sense of urgency than those people.
Can you blame them? The workload will always be relentless, and there is no incentive or reward if they try to be a hero and do the work of two people. Granted, I have it very good in the agency I work for (people would rather drop dead on the job at 90 than retire), but the one thing I had to adapt to when I moved to the public sector is as follows:

There is no such thing as being “caught up”. Just as soon as you get close, a holiday weekend or a massive, hairy audit will derail everything. Backlogs are ubiquitous and inevitable, no matter how fast or how efficiently you work. It’s all shoveling sand against the tide. Some people (like myself) just accept it and continue to put in an honest day’s work, while some lose morale and just run out the clock until retirement.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:30 PM

12,914 posts, read 8,744,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I've been working for over 4 decades, and under staffing is the biggest change I've seen over the last two. Meanwhile, there are often too many "Chiefs" trying to micro-manage the too-few "Indians", continually rolling out new initiatives and procedures down the pipeline, often without much real merit, in order to justify their jobs.

I'm planning to just stay at my current company no matter how bad it gets on into retirement. It's better than the last one I worked for, and I realize that, the grass is probably not going to be greener somewhere else.
That's the one major problem I see at many mid-size firms is the rise of worker-less companies where majority of the employees are all coordinators, managers, and VPs. There's only 2-3 workers in each dept that actually has process work.

This one media company in NYC, during the meeting I was there. Everyone there was some dept coordinator and there were 3 managers present. One Director who obviously don't know anything just go along with the direction after people all took their sides.

I was there along with 2 other consultants because they didn't have much full-time IT workers. The manager is the email administrator. The coordinator was the systems person and 2 other juniors does help desk and application support. That was the whole IT staff for a company of 200 people.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:03 PM

614 posts, read 431,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It is the lowest in the past 50 years or so. The economy IS going gangbusters.
Then why are so many people b*tching about their companies, fear of being laid off, working conditions, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment