U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 PM

2,185 posts, read 534,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
No. My argument is that there need not be economic casualties.
I see. I didn't get that. Thanks for clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 07:16 PM

1,680 posts, read 551,325 times
Quote:
Lekrii doesn't read replies, simply keeps posting his Three Simple Steps to Universal Success list. I gave up on him both here and in PMs. Sorry.

And the answer to both questions is: I don't know. I know what the problems are; I know they're going to take extraordinary socioeconomic changes to address; I only have a general map of how those changes might be implemented. I'd be happy to present that map and discuss it. (Here, anyway; it's been under extended discussion in more serious realms for a long time.)

But what you've asked here is Chapter Two of the discussion... and we are tiresomely stuck in endless repeats of Chapter One, which has two or three sidebars about how losers don't matter and did it all to themselves anyway and the savvy will survive and it's all an opportunity for those who are already in the elite and yadda yadda yadda. I spend too much time here anyway (the window sits open while I work), and trying to move a 100-post thread from smug BS about how the bottom 40% are self-destructive and could rise to the elite if they really wanted to, up to possible solutions... there ain't enough beer in the world, Spleen.

The avalanche is coming. I think it's already started. That I don't want to keep trying to sort and categorize the pebbles is probably an academic fault. But I'm not an academic; I'm an observer. And my primary observation is that since we can't get out of the way of this avalanche, we'd better learn to surf. (Even if that involves O Horror O Shock O No another scary S-word.)
I do read replies. I don't always respond to people who offer no solutions, refuse to try anything different, and are just looking to vent, instead of improve on things. Complaining while offering no solutions has never been useful.

For anyone struggling to find a job, let's go back to what I've said repeatedly. Learn how to network. Develop a list of 10 companies you would like to work for, and 20 people you admire. Find one real estate agent or financial adviser who you know. Let me know when you have those lists created. Put a plan of how many of those people and companies you want to contact per week. If you're going to claim what I suggest is foolish, please at least try it first. If you try that for 5 hours/week for six months and see no progress, then come back and tell me what I say is foolish. I apologize that you take any actionable plans as something to dismiss.

It's funny you'd use the term 'self destructive'. The bottom 40% will probably not rise to the elite. They would improve though, but only if they actually take suggestions, want to change, and actually try new things. If a person is struggling, and isn't trying anything new, isn't trying to improve, and isn't asking what they personally could do different, then they really do only have themselves to blame.

Last edited by Lekrii; 06-04-2019 at 07:54 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 07:17 PM

2,419 posts, read 689,094 times
#1 reason I did a career change away from tech.

Take the push for unlimited H1B visas on one hand, and AI automation on the other, it is two forest fires, out of control, surrounding a city filled with workers. Then the flames move inward.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 PM

8,595 posts, read 3,026,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Yes...
I arrest my case.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:05 PM

7,596 posts, read 9,448,275 times
Quote:
I arrest my case.
Don't waste too much time with drones like IrRational ExPecTations. Their capitalistic tinfoil hats need an adjustment. They don't understand that their continuous genuflections before the Throne of Capitalism will not earn them any brownie points, and will not save them when they are forced out, too..

Old 06-04-2019, 08:09 PM

1,680 posts, read 551,325 times
Quote:
I arrest my case.
This is a public forum, not an echo chamber. I would hope we could have intelligent discourse even though we disagree. Refusing to converse the moment someone presents a differing opinion is not helpful. I respect your opinion, we can talk even though we disagree on the subject matter.

What is your specific issue? Networking is fairly hard to argue against. It leads to most hires...

Last edited by Lekrii; 06-04-2019 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 08:28 PM

12,913 posts, read 8,740,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
#1 reason I did a career change away from tech.

Take the push for unlimited H1B visas on one hand, and AI automation on the other, it is two forest fires, out of control, surrounding a city filled with workers. Then the flames move inward.
Believe it or not H1B are not as desirable as it used to be because the amount of paper work necessary for sponsorship and filing fees. I worked someplace where majority of the IT workers were H1B and after the work was done they were terminated TCS reassigned them eslewhere.

These H1B workers are the epitome of modern day slavery trade. Where Indian consulting firms control them like slave masters and give them very little salary while they bill companies American billable rates. They are easily hired and assigned when companies need to get a jump on kickstarting their business without having to go through the hiring process.

Some of these workers hold masters degree in their country but their character reflect very little academic excellence.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Call it income tax on the machines.
One San Francisco official is pushing for a ‘robot tax’

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/08/san-...on-robots.html

Old 06-04-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The only realistic solution is for governments to take over the means of production - taking away the AI from corporations and other businesses and running those systems for the benefit of the people. People would be fed, housed, and taken care of for free.
Do you envision a world where government-run AI would feed people (plant & harvest & sort & distribute crops, grow & slaughter livestock, prepare food, deliver food, etc), government-run AI would build & maintain housing for people (harvest trees, run sawmills & kilns, distribute lumber, grade worksites, apply concrete forms, pour concrete, assemble rough plumbing & rough electrical, frame walls, frame joists, hand sheetrock, lay tile, etc etc -- oh, prepare plans for submission to building departments, receive plans at building departments & approve plans, etc) and government-run AI would take care of people (infant care to elder care and everything in-between)?

Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 PM

1,859 posts, read 715,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Do you envision a world where government-run AI would feed people (plant & harvest & sort & distribute crops, grow & slaughter livestock, prepare food, deliver food, etc), government-run AI would build & maintain housing for people (harvest trees, run sawmills & kilns, distribute lumber, grade worksites, apply concrete forms, pour concrete, assemble rough plumbing & rough electrical, frame walls, frame joists, hand sheetrock, lay tile, etc etc -- oh, prepare plans for submission to building departments, receive plans at building departments & approve plans, etc) and government-run AI would take care of people (infant care to elder care and everything in-between)?
Yes, that would be correct. Everything would be automated with AI systems composed of computers, robots, and other machines that would do the work. The systems would be fully automated so it really wouldn't make any difference who was at the top of the heap holding the on/off switch, businesses (in pieces) or government (centralized control). Of course it would be the government since they would run it for the people's benefit, maintaining order, where there are no profits or money to be made, just people's needs to be satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment