U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2019, 07:43 AM
 
1,244 posts, read 708,878 times
Reputation: 1196

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The only realistic solution is for governments to take over the means of production -
Well there you go. I sensed socialist tendencies, but full blown communism was actually the agenda.

Who was mentioning dogma and outdated concepts again ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 AM
 
4,539 posts, read 4,725,058 times
Reputation: 3588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Well there you go. I sensed socialist tendencies, but full blown communism was actually the agenda.

Who was mentioning dogma and outdated concepts again ?
Player Piano was a good book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 08:38 AM
 
1,058 posts, read 866,941 times
Reputation: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
No.

I used to be a programmer. I transitioned into a BA/PM role. There's an enormous need for people who can translate between the technical folks and actual business needs.

It jobs aren't going away, they are just changing.
This.

I've been a professional software engineer for 20 years now and have seen tech crazes come and go. It never ceases to amaze me how the average joe will read about some new technology either think "the sky is falling" or "our prayers are answered".

AI is far, far off from being what you see in movies or even tech articles meant for consumption by the non-tech sector.

Is it getting better? Definitely.

Will it replace your job in ANY industry? Probably will eventually. No telling when, but it's probably a lot farther off than you think.

Our jobs are changing, but if you think AI is some amazing creative thinker that can solve all of the world's problems and complete any task, you're in for a disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 08:52 AM
 
1,244 posts, read 708,878 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
This.


AI is far, far off from being what you see in movies or even tech articles meant for consumption by the non-tech sector

[...] you're in for a disappointment
But 50s science fiction said it would be grandiose !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,576 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Our jobs are changing, but if you think AI is some amazing creative thinker that can solve all of the world's problems and complete any task, you're in for a disappointment.
No one has claimed it is, or will be in any meaningful time frame.

But thousands of jobs only require a limited subset of human intelligence and judgment - and AI will be replacing workers in those fields within the decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,576 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Who was mentioning dogma and outdated concepts again ?
There's nothing outdated being discussed here. But it would be a waste of time to try to either explain or convince a dogmatic mind of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 11:00 AM
 
2,135 posts, read 524,377 times
Reputation: 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Yes, that would be correct. Everything would be automated with AI systems composed of computers, robots, and other machines that would do the work. The systems would be fully automated so it really wouldn't make any difference who was at the top of the heap holding the on/off switch, businesses (in pieces) or government (centralized control). Of course it would be the government since they would run it for the people's benefit, maintaining order, where there are no profits or money to be made, just people's needs to be satisfied.
And you foresee this happening within a few hundred years? I seem to recall you saying something like that, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,576 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
This is a public forum, not an echo chamber. I would hope we could have intelligent discourse even though we disagree. Refusing to converse the moment someone presents a differing opinion is not helpful. I respect your opinion, we can talk even though we disagree on the subject matter.

What is your specific issue? Networking is fairly hard to argue against. It leads to most hires...
  1. You have a limited argument of about four sentences that you repeat every time the subject comes up.
  2. You have never extended or adapted this argument in any way.
  3. You almost completely ignore replies and challenges to your argument, except to repeat parts of it.
  4. Mostly, you drag it in to every vaguely job-related thread, whether it's relevant or not.
  5. And then you demand further argument and justification for "hating networking" even when you've gotten good arguments and there's a large consensus (including me) that agrees with the gist of your contentions, but objects to their being taken as a universal solution because specific situations where it will not have traction can be outlined.

And after about six months of it, I'm tired of the same Groundhog Day cycle on this.

Any other questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 11:11 AM
 
2,135 posts, read 524,377 times
Reputation: 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Will it replace your job in ANY industry? Probably will eventually. No telling when, but it's probably a lot farther off than you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
No one has claimed it is, or will be in any meaningful time frame.

But thousands of jobs only require a limited subset of human intelligence and judgment - and AI will be replacing workers in those fields within the decade.
I think I don't understand your comment about time-frames. After all, a few posts back you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Imagine 50% unemployment because there are simply only half as many jobs as workers, no matter how you slice the definitions. Next step?

Because that's the situation we've already entered, as hindsight in a decade or two will show.
Were you referring to something else altogether?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,576 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12765
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
And you foresee this happening within a few hundred years? I seem to recall you saying something like that, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
You might have conflated BMIT's comments with mine.

I think we are well into the slope of this change; we can't see it because it's fairly subtle and because the current mode is to completely deny and belittle it, as in nearly every thread here. I think that within ten years the curve(s) will be quite pronounced and seen as having started well before this point.

I think we will see significant, unarguable job impacts within ten years - and that's a hedged bet.

I think we will have either essentially destroyed ourselves, had a completely different global political and economic system arise from conflict, or evolved a rational new economic basis that accepts the reality of individual worker productivity no longer being a basis... within 100 years. All while/with/during our adaptation to climate shift.


My contention, my argument, my outlook is simple: We could get it right. But odds are we'll just blunder into far greater losses on every side than were necessary - population, wealth, productivity, egality, collective knowledge... that list is long. Because, you know, Econ 101, dammit (and this climate stuff is just leftist bunk, too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top