U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 12:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 713,275 times

Advertisements

I think that with the rise of AI, the intent is to automate all jobs leaving people being an expensive, inefficient, and flawed labor option. With advances in technology, computers, robots, and other machines are becoming more adept at doing jobs that are/were being done by people, whether they are blue collar or white collar. These AI systems are cheaper, better, and faster than people doing the same jobs. Whether all jobs will be automated in 10, 20, or more years is not proven yet, but with business being interested in cutting labor costs, as well as faster and better production and services, that is the target - to have AI do ALL people's jobs since it potentially can.

I'm not sure why new jobs and employment areas should open up for people just because there is a strong and constant push for automation. The intent is to eliminate inefficiency, and people are inefficient and expensive compared to AI. In the end, all people will be replaced with AI, in my view.

Like Ross Perot used to say, "what is not needed won't be invented". But there is a need to eliminate weaknesses, inefficiencies, and expense out of the workforce. That is the target to reach for. People cannot compete with AI in the long run.

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 06-02-2019 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 12:19 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Surveillance and security. We have more cameras, eavesdropping, etc and there are more people employed to monitor people than ever.
And AI coupled with face recognition has already transformed that. The idea that a zillion street cameras are useless because it takes a multiplying number of people to watch them was nonsense five years ago. One supervisor scanning a dozen monitors connected to thousands of cameras controlled by AI told to watch for certain people and actions will be plenty. Already is, in some setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Pick a specific job, sure there will be less of a need. New jobs with new needs related to IT will arise. So, adapt. The job market is changing, don't expect to do the exact same thing you do today, but that's something that's easily planned for.

No one should logically expect to hold the same job doing the same thing for decades. Adapt and change with the times.
Ah yes, the retraining argument. Live your life and career as if it's all disposable and move to ND to become a roughneck at 45. Or forget 20 years of programming experience and retrain in systems that didn't exist three years ago - you know, the ones all the kids finishing college have been fully indoctrinated in.

And every step of this process reduces the number of people actually needed to so it, so between those who develop a stage, those who learn it as their first career and a horde of graying-hairs who do a quickie career conversion to it... well, righty then. The old Jobs For All That REALLY Want Them chant.

It's a horse-puckeys argument and you know it. But carry on.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:56 PM

517 posts, read 624,141 times
I consider myself retired and glad to be, but last resumes I sent out were graded by some automated resume evaluation no doubt or basically an AI type algorithm. I rate AI pretty low to be honest, and full of age bias. If same algorithms evaluate me medically they likely will have a robot remove all my organs then take me off life support.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:18 PM

1,665 posts, read 547,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Ah yes, the retraining argument. Live your life and career as if it's all disposable and move to ND to become a roughneck at 45. Or forget 20 years of programming experience and retrain in systems that didn't exist three years ago - you know, the ones all the kids finishing college have been fully indoctrinated in.

And every step of this process reduces the number of people actually needed to so it, so between those who develop a stage, those who learn it as their first career and a horde of graying-hairs who do a quickie career conversion to it... well, righty then. The old Jobs For All That REALLY Want Them chant.

It's a horse-puckeys argument and you know it. But carry on.
What's your solution? Force progress to stop so that you don't need to learn new skills?

It's unsettling that you'd argue against the value in learning new stills in a career.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:52 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
No.

I used to be a programmer. I transitioned into a BA/PM role. There's an enormous need for people who can translate between the technical folks and actual business needs.

It jobs aren't going away, they are just changing.
Even on the lower end side, like support, a lot of users still need handheld. I work as a business analyst over a large number of business applications. We will receive pages from the help desk about password resets when there is a damn forgot your password option on the website. It is mind-boggling.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:06 PM

6,371 posts, read 5,991,738 times
Yes. Without going into a lot of detail, if you're in television, radio, or communications, artificial intelligence has already been used in a major way and you may have been let go a long time ago. Those of us that are left are juggling several jobs. The only people that are safe are the general managers and the sales people. Maybe the talent, if you don't want to rely on contractors or outsource the reporting. Engineers could handle everything on the technical side and for some smaller operations they already do. It is a wonder that they still have different technical responsibilities doled out to different people, that aren't engineers, in this day and age. Not that I am complaining it is job security.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:18 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Quote:
What's your solution? Force progress to stop so that you don't need to learn new skills?
Hardly. But we've reached the point where technological progress is going to force massive social and economic changes, quite unlike anything seen before, no matter how much you may want to point at the cotton gin and automotive robotics and tell everyone to go back to sleep.

Quote:
It's unsettling that you'd argue against the value in learning new stills in a career.
I'm doing nothing of the kind. But you've joined the cadre here that has One Simple Answer Dammit, and you relentlessly pound it in the same two or three simple monotonous sentences no matter how many valid objections are raised.

Most people simply cannot spend their career preparing to jump ship, and magically retrain to a completely different field in their 40s. Your insistence that everyone should be prepared to do that is no doubt well-intended, but effectively complete nonsense.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:25 AM

12,704 posts, read 9,959,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1q3 View Post
AI and process automation are taking on tech jobs once thought untouchable. Will you be replaced by a robot? Interesting article from cio.com.

With AI becoming the main buzzwords and emerging technology for the forseeable future, many high techs are building robots using rpa to automate many mundane tasks. Facial & speech recognition, un/supervised learning, prescriptive analysis, and AI all converging in the near future.

Do you think your job and/or primary duties/responsibilities will be replace and/or eventually be phased out in the next 3-5yrs?* Why or why not?**
No way, given the large amount of technical debt (look it up if you don't know what it is) in the system...

Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 AM

1,665 posts, read 547,450 times
Quote:
Most people simply cannot spend their career preparing to jump ship, and magically retrain to a completely different field in their 40s. Your insistence that everyone should be prepared to do that is no doubt well-intended, but effectively complete nonsense.
Why do you think it's nonsense that a person spend a few hours/week keeping up with new technologies, building new skills, and networking in case they lose a job?

Nothing here is magic. Spend just 5 hours/week every week studying/taking classes/networking, and you'll be surprised at how secure your future becomes.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:09 AM

6,371 posts, read 5,991,738 times
Quote:
Most people don't like change. But the days of a reliable job that lasts for 40 years is far behind us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment