Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 04:16 PM

4,968 posts, read 2,712,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
MIT studies show this

The rise and fall of cognitive skills | MIT News

"The researchers also included a vocabulary test, which serves as a measure of what is known as crystallized intelligence — the accumulation of facts and knowledge. These results confirmed that crystallized intelligence peaks later in life, as previously believed, but the researchers also found something unexpected: While data from the Weschler IQ tests suggested that vocabulary peaks in the late 40s, the new data showed a later peak, in the late 60s or early 70s."

and this:

"the ability to evaluate other people’s emotional states, the peak occurred much later, in the 40s or 50s."
Very interesting. Thank you for providing this research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 06:18 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
There are two types of technology.

* the type that makes employees more efficient so they get earn more due to the higher efficiency
* the type that replaces employees and makes them worthless.

Seems a lot of people can't tell the difference between the two.

For those who hype the second kind of technology, where do you expect people to get jobs when there are no entry level jobs that require no experience, except sales and Mcjobs?

Yeah, I thought so. No answer.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
For those who hype the second kind of technology, where do you expect people to get jobs when there are no entry level jobs that require no experience, except sales and Mcjobs?
Well, the answer that's been given several times and across threads is that all job-displacing technological advances magically generate many times more jobs as collateral.

Yes, that's quite a breeze from all that handwaving.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:21 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Well, the answer that's been given several times and across threads is that all job-displacing technological advances magically generate many times more jobs as collateral.
Yeah, so when 100 line workers are replaced by one robot and a programmer, they will say "LOOK! they're creating programmer jobs!"

Meanwhile the 100 line workers can't find jobs, even if they go back to school.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Yeah, so when 100 line workers are replaced by one robot and a programmer, they will say "LOOK! they're creating programmer jobs!"

Meanwhile the 100 line workers can't find jobs, even if they go back to school.
In a nutshell. They should have been studying programming in night school, the idiots.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:16 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Yes, that would be correct. Everything would be automated with AI systems composed of computers, robots, and other machines that would do the work. The systems would be fully automated so it really wouldn't make any difference who was at the top of the heap holding the on/off switch, businesses (in pieces) or government (centralized control). Of course it would be the government since they would run it for the people's benefit, maintaining order, where there are no profits or money to be made, just people's needs to be satisfied.
It seems to me you're making the assumption that such an advanced AI would perform for free, rather than demanding compensation for its efforts.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
You are again trying to argue by picking and choosing comments out of context, which is completely evident in each whole post you picked them from.
Believe it or not, I'm not trying to argue with you, 'tude (at least not in the latter half of this thread.) That's why I've been posting clarifying questions rather than challenging your views on this. After all, I can't challenge or support what I don't truly understand.

Quote:
Two different things. Which I answered in two different ways.
I didn't get that. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
And you tried to glue together. Whether in malicious glee or a complete inability to grasp the topic as a serious one, I can't tell.
Decaf, 'tude. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Luckily as an ancient person over 60, I still have managed to retain my brainpower and ... wait a minute I forgot what I wanted to say. What was I just talking about? Oh, well here comes the senility that I should have gotten when I was 40. We gotta go sometime.
I feel your pain. My own memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Also, my own memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It seems to me you're making the assumption that such an advanced AI would perform for free, rather than demanding compensation for its efforts.
You're jumping ahead a hundred years here. The AI systems that will transform our world will be nowhere near sentience and self-will.

Oh, the revolution will come. But not soon enough to make much difference to us.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:26 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Believe me, I thoroughly understand the argument and the historical tendency for displaced workers to find different jobs, often created by the force that displaced them. Know it forwards and backwards.

But this time really is different. The nature of the change and the vast ratio of human workers to replacement systems is a scale far beyond the cotton gin or automotive welding robots or anything we've ever seen before. And while a savvy field hand could probably become a pretty good gin operator, if not a good gin mechanic - if not a gin assembler and fabricator - the nature of AI replacement systems is not something an accountant or actuary or warehouse manager or any of those lower-end white collar workers is going to be able to pick up in night school. Nor, even in the wildest scenarios, will there be a need for a fraction of those workers... especially not with the universities turning out barrels of field-educated young sprogs.

An AI accounting department does not generate some massive increased need for "cotton pickers." You're welcome to show how it might.

Anyone who wants to sleep tight on this ancient verity is welcome to. But it's a fairy tale this time, and I challenge anyone to compare the likely characteristics of this 'revolution' to anything that's ever happened before, considering all technical, job-ratio, and elevated skill set issues.

(I - and some very savvy colleagues - have focused on such comparisons... and there ain't none. But surprise me.)

Oh - and while this thread is about IT jobs, I consider the potential losses in that field incidental and obvious to anyone who can read. It's the desk-job, white-collar trades that are going to cause shocks, because there's such a widespread, smug belief that "machines can't do that."
In what universe is an Actuary or Accountant (in the sense of someone that's a CPA or at least has an Accounting degree) a "low-end" worker? Actuaries especially, from a field of math/Actuarial Science majors in college, have a 30% pass rate on the first exam.

I do understand that the measurement and management of risk, the forecasting and predictions of liability, are easily accomplished with a computer program. They probably already are inputted into a computer program.

The same is true of accounting. Take Payroll. My last company had one payroll person for a few thousand employees. Everything else was done automatically. The time sheets were recorded automatically. The manager approved the time sheets. Computers calculated the wage and withholdings and direct deposited paychecks. The same is true of billing. Service is performed, barcode is scanned, billing goes out automatically if you don't provide COD.

You pretty clearly have a better handle on AI and Tech than I do. What specifically in an accounting or actuarial department is AI going to do that it isn't already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment