U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2019, 12:26 PM
 
Location: New York
753 posts, read 921,074 times
Reputation: 321

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Overtime is never guaranteed. Figure out how you're going to live on, say, $45k max - and if that works, and they're not BSing you, you'll have lots of gravy.

Bet on that $58k and you'll... well, I wouldn't.
I think all I really need to ask is if I'm going to be an exempt employee. Because if I'm exempt then the 58.5K will have to be guaranteed its the law in NYC now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2019, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,639 posts, read 3,053,074 times
Reputation: 12904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
I think all I really need to ask is if I'm going to be an exempt employee. Because if I'm exempt then the 58.5K will have to be guaranteed its the law in NYC now.
Why am I reminded of Morgan Freeman's exquisite line about trying to blackmail Bruce Wayne?

This is a recruiting firm. I'd have a lawyer look over the employment contract if you're betting on guarantees, based on barracks-room lawyering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 12:37 PM
 
1,226 posts, read 523,530 times
Reputation: 2236
glassdoor reveals NYC executive recruiter avg base salaries are around 50,000. so it does sound like they are paying in line with what the market commands

still, it doesnt sound like a promising white collar field to get into considering how expensive nyc is. you wouldnt be able to afford rent unless you get a 1bedroom with a roommate.

how does their commission work? how much would you be getting per successful hire? is it a percent of salaary of the job you recruit for? or you get a fixed amount per successful hire?

if yo ucan make another 50,000 in commissions without having to work more than 40-45 hours a week, maybe it is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 01:04 PM
 
Location: New York
753 posts, read 921,074 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
glassdoor reveals NYC executive recruiter avg base salaries are around 50,000. so it does sound like they are paying in line with what the market commands

still, it doesnt sound like a promising white collar field to get into considering how expensive nyc is. you wouldnt be able to afford rent unless you get a 1bedroom with a roommate.

how does their commission work? how much would you be getting per successful hire? is it a percent of salaary of the job you recruit for? or you get a fixed amount per successful hire?

if yo ucan make another 50,000 in commissions without having to work more than 40-45 hours a week, maybe it is worth it.
The commission is a 1% spread weekly (more than $100,000 of projects weekly on avg.)
Everything we do goes into a pool and we get a percentage of that. The office is extremely small under the umbrella of a $1 billion dollar recruiting firm.

I currently have an apartment with a roommate and I was making $45,000 in my last job in Westchester county managing a clinic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,639 posts, read 3,053,074 times
Reputation: 12904
Well, vaya con Diaz. Stop into the Cosmo Diner for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,104 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Reputation: 66501
What kind of recruiter in what industry?

Because I work in lower Manhattan, and at least once a week I get an email from a staffing firm's recruiter who tells me how they can supply me with the types of people our firm needs, blah blah blah, and I delete it. Then the idiot invariably sends me a follow up a week later, "I know you are busy so perhaps you just didn't get a chance to respond to my..." DELETE DELETE DELETE.

The firm I work for (engineering) does its own recruiting based on immediate and anticipated needs tailored to their clients. They aren't going to pay someone else to do that for them.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 03:46 PM
 
Location: New York
753 posts, read 921,074 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What kind of recruiter in what industry?

Because I work in lower Manhattan, and at least once a week I get an email from a staffing firm's recruiter who tells me how they can supply me with the types of people our firm needs, blah blah blah, and I delete it. Then the idiot invariably sends me a follow up a week later, "I know you are busy so perhaps you just didn't get a chance to respond to my..." DELETE DELETE DELETE.

The firm I work for (engineering) does its own recruiting based on immediate and anticipated needs tailored to their clients. They aren't going to pay someone else to do that for them.
Its in the legal field.

Our sales people get the clients and we recruit the candidates they need.

Last edited by Jonathanp219; 06-02-2019 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,043 posts, read 3,994,985 times
Reputation: 13559
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
May as well go work at a McDonalds in Idaho then. Thats peanuts for NYC
Agreed; however, if you think that can pay your bills then only you know that answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2019, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
9,162 posts, read 3,010,297 times
Reputation: 13834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Yes I do. I've worked in lower Manhattan before, but that was years ago when I was getting through college. Lower Manhattan can hurt your pockets but that extra 18K makes my expenses more bearable.

I just feel its strange to make a base salary 40K when you're paying out 58K. Should just make the base salary 58K lol
I think if they're paying you $18K extra to "avoid calculating overtime", you can assume you will be putting in plenty of overtime. How sure are you that you will be able to get any substantial commissions? That would make the difference between being able to survive or not, in that ultra high-priced area. Will you need to use a vehicle of your own on the job? Most mileage reimbursements don't come even close to paying for the full cost of a vehicle, including parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2019, 05:27 AM
 
Location: Southern Most New Jersey
1,101 posts, read 820,444 times
Reputation: 1747
Do you feel comfortable generating leads.

I have dealt with plenty of recruiters thru the years. I would go in to hear what they have for me but they almost always would want to know what I am working on and want to know potential employer. I learned early on not to tell them.

Same with selling insurance. My current job at the time gave me the potential to generate many leads. But I did not want to approach those people to sell them anything.

McDonalds is a good idea. See if you can get in their managers training program if they still have it. If smart enough and hard working you will probably end up owning a few stores. Personally, I would only do it with McDonalds as a lot of other fast food have a foot in the grave. Do a deep Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top