Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times

Advertisements

So I volunteer some of my time to work for a different department in the government I currently work for. This is paid time, but the volunteer work is not part of my normal job duties. Nor really is it all that related to my job duties. I sign up to do this, not get forced into it, hence why I am calling it a volunteer.

I volunteer once every couple of months for trainings or meetings, about 16 hours per quarter. I have an official title for this volunteer position and a list of duties.

I want to add this volunteer work, as I'm trying to switch into this field, to show that I'm currently doing ~related~ tasks to help me look less out of left field.

I have asked a couple people and this is what they say:

A) Add it as a bullet point to my current job description

or

B) Add it to an "additional experience" section

Part of me thinks doing Option B would be better as it would enhance it more. But what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 11:03 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
So I volunteer some of my time to work for a different department in the government I currently work for. This is paid time, but the volunteer work is not part of my normal job duties. Nor really is it all that related to my job duties. I sign up to do this, not get forced into it, hence why I am calling it a volunteer.

I volunteer once every couple of months for trainings or meetings, about 16 hours per quarter. I have an official title for this volunteer position and a list of duties.

I want to add this volunteer work, as I'm trying to switch into this field, to show that I'm currently doing ~related~ tasks to help me look less out of left field.

I have asked a couple people and this is what they say:

A) Add it as a bullet point to my current job description

or

B) Add it to an "additional experience" section

Part of me thinks doing Option B would be better as it would enhance it more. But what do you guys think?

You list your current job and list your volunteer job showing they run at the same time. Show them as if they were two jobs formatting wise on the resume. You want to do this especially if the volunteer work is going to help you get another job. You don't want to bury it in another additional work area or whatever else. Just make sure you list the volunteer work 2nd, so it doesn't look like you are currently out of work only doing volunteer work.

It doesn't matter if you were getting paid for this work or not, and if you did this on the clock with your management's blessing. All that matters is that you did this work and it is to your credit.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:03 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
I'd list it under the current organization you are working for. You can either just bullet it under the same role. Or, if you have enough info for an actual separate role, I'd create a separate one. e.g.:

Government Agency Name, Location | start date - Present
Main Role / Title
Summary
  • accomplishment 1
  • accomplishment 2

Voluntary Role / Title
Summary
  • accomplishment 1
  • accomplishment 2

Old 06-02-2019, 08:23 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
First off, it's not actually volunteer work, it's an additional duty. You are on official time doing official duties at that time, just in a different position. Essentially like a detail, though I don't think detail is the official term. For the resume I'd list it as part of your current official duties.

There is also a way to get credit for this work on your official personnel file, though I don't remember the form. You want it there because it give you credit in the system for having done XX series work at Y grade level when applying to jobs in that series and grade level. Having the credit in your file makes it easier to change series when you apply than trying to qualify from scratch using your resume.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:39 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
First off, it's not actually volunteer work, it's an additional duty. You are on official time doing official duties at that time, just in a different position. Essentially like a detail, though I don't think detail is the official term. For the resume I'd list it as part of your current official duties.

There is also a way to get credit for this work on your official personnel file, though I don't remember the form. You want it there because it give you credit in the system for having done XX series work at Y grade level when applying to jobs in that series and grade level. Having the credit in your file makes it easier to change series when you apply than trying to qualify from scratch using your resume.
The department who “loans” me also refers it as a volunteer position. The title is officially Joint Information Officer, but again it’s an extremely part time position. Adding it as a second job, like the first commenter said, seems disingenuous as I’m not really on that department’s pay role, they just reimburse my department for hours worked.

I work for a local government, I do not believe we have a form like that. My supervisor assuming if he got contacted would be able to back it up that I do this role.

It seems like so far people agree with the A option, but I guess it will get picked out on the screening software they use these days. But if someone reads it, I was hoping for it to be more noticeable. However, it may be the most truthful option.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
It's not a volunteer position. It's another title and another job duty you have from the perspective of your resume. It doesn't matter that it wasn't specifically what you were hired to do. Just list it as a job duty, not as your formal title from an HR perspective.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:03 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
“Ad hoc Duties”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment