Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 01:08 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,278 times

Advertisements

A couple months ago I started a new job with a large federal agency. I had wanted a federal job for years (even though I knew the cons of a fed job) in my career (IT) and local area but nothing came up or I applied and never had an interview. Finally a position opened and I went for it and got the job. I figured I had to take it since I had always wanted it and didn’t want to pass up the opportunity I might not get again and I would regret it. I didn’t have too many issues at my previous job (four years working remote for a startup-ish company that I was hired early on for and have stock in. I also had a great co-working office that I miss the most) I left on good terms.

I hate this new job. I hate the co-workers, the office, the location, all the rules an paperwork, busywork. I knew some of those might happen as I have worked at large places before in my career, but the job has changed since the posting and interview. I have tried to make it work and now it has left me depressed and talking to a therapist. Maybe I built this new job to lofty expectations and it’s not meeting them? I keep thinking of the old job and old office. I definitely feel like I had a “grass is greener” moment. I actually feel like asking for my previous job back.

What should I do?

Mod note: A second thread re: this job issue has been merged into this thread on 25 October, 2018. New posts start at #55.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-25-2018 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 01:11 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Go ask for the old job back....

Old 09-07-2018, 01:19 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
A couple months ago I started a new job with a large federal agency. I had wanted a federal job for years (even though I knew the cons of a fed job) in my career (IT) and local area but nothing came up or I applied and never had an interview. Finally a position opened and I went for it and got the job. I figured I had to take it since I had always wanted it and didn’t want to pass up the opportunity I might not get again and I would regret it. I didn’t have too many issues at my previous job (four years working remote for a startup-ish company that I was hired early on for and have stock in. I also had a great co-working office that I miss the most) I left on good terms.

I hate this new job. I hate the co-workers, the office, the location, all the rules an paperwork, busywork. I knew some of those might happen as I have worked at large places before in my career, but the job has changed since the posting and interview. I have tried to make it work and now it has left me depressed and talking to a therapist. Maybe I built this new job to lofty expectations and it’s not meeting them? I keep thinking of the old job and old office. I definitely feel like I had a “grass is greener” moment. I actually feel like asking for my previous job back.

What should I do?
Suck it up and learn to deal with it....Or go back to your old employer and beg for your job back...

Old 09-07-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Go ask for the old job back....
Any tips on how to approach that?

Old 09-07-2018, 01:26 PM

58 posts, read 53,768 times
Government work is, uh, special. You have to have a particular mindset and personality for it. Some people like the idea of the job security, lower stress, and humdrum-ness of the work environment. However, if you're not used to that or not ready to embrace it, it will come as a culture shock.

If you left on good terms with your most recent employer, I'd reach back out to them and ask them if your original job is still available or if something else might be available. Otherwise, quickly get back on track of looking for a new job and leave this one off your resume or list it as a contract job (assuming less than six-months).

Life is too short to embrace misery.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Any tips on how to approach that?
For starters, call and/or email your former manager to inquire about the availability of your position. Explain to them your situation, and how the position isn't what you thought it was going to be. You may also reach out to your former employer's HR department to inquire about availability of your original position. No guarantees that this will work, but it's a good starting point since you already have work history with them.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chatterboxx- View Post
For starters, call and/or email your former manager to inquire about the availability of your position. Explain to them your situation, and how the position isn't what you thought it was going to be. You may also reach out to your former employer's HR department to inquire about availability of your original position. No guarantees that this will work, but it's a good starting point since you already have work history with them.
It was a small company, 20 people. No HR person, everything went through my supervisor the CEO/President/Owner. Him and I communicated via SMS a good bit over the years. He last messaged me on my third day asking how the new job was going and he also said "let me if you know if you need anything"

I had an exit interview (the first one I ever had in my career) and one of the questions was, "Would you ever come back?" Not sure if that is a normal exit interview question or not.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
It was a small company, 20 people. No HR person, everything went through my supervisor the CEO/President/Owner. Him and I communicated via SMS a good bit over the years. He last messaged me on my third day asking how the new job was going and he also said "let me if you know if you need anything"

I had an exit interview (the first one I ever had in my career) and one of the questions was, "Would you ever come back?" Not sure if that is a normal exit interview question or not.
Reach out to him then. It sounds like you have good standing with him.

And yes, that sounds like a fairly normal exit interview question. Those types of questions are trying to pick up on any possible trends in work culture deficiencies, poor management, etc.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,025 times
Quote:

What should I do?

I recently went through something similar. My last employer was acquired and we were all let go (not so bad, they gave us 12 months notice). I looked at dozens of employers, and ultimately settled on the one that looked "perfect". I hate it. It's a terrible place to work, everyone is miserable and the people, including my direct manager, are nasty.

I've been here about a year and a half now, and I can happily say that things are getting better. The people are all still horrible and it's a terrible place to work, but after getting settled in I figured out how to mentally remove myself from the garbage and enjoy the things that are good about the job (short commute, good technical work, decent hours so I can watch my kids grow up).

The horrible people and mean comments now roll off of me. I just don't care what they say. Ironically, I was told that I'm doing very well and on track for a promotion, even though I feel as though I've checked out. I guess that's the key- I'm no longer clouded by the bad stuff so I can focus on things that are good.

Would I leave tomorrow if the right opportunity came along? Yes, without a doubt. But whereas after 3 months I was ready to quit tomorrow even if I didn't have a new job lined up, today I think I can survive here another few years if needed.

So... it gets better. But leave if you can.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Reach out to your old boss, but broach the topic in a conversation, not an email. You'll get all the info you need by the tone of his voice whether they would take you back or if they could take you back (staffing issues).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment