U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 05:06 AM

47 posts, read 12,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
the school that i went to told me it was a internship.

Yeah, someone at your school got a kickback.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:50 AM

2,069 posts, read 853,707 times
Maybe it was a way for the school to bump up their internship placement numbers. They can show you where placed in a internship, but no mention as to it was a appropriate position. Their on paper reporting will show you were placed and make their statistics look better.

What did your school say when you questioned them about inappropriate unpaid placement? Just because it's a "internship" doesn't necessarily mean it should be unpaid. You can make a complaint to wage and labor state agency, file a complaint with state if you think you've been wronged and they will investigate if school doesn't give you a decent explanation. If state agency determines you should have been paid they can make the employer pay you a fair wage for the hours you worked and supply you with a W-2 tax form.

Added: The state would also investigate if any other unpaid inappropriate internships were done with that store and possibly the school setting up unpaid internships.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 06-05-2019 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-05-2019, 07:44 AM

316 posts, read 132,525 times
Okay....so many questions with this one I don't know where to start.

1) How did you come across this internship? You said your school called it that, but who actually told you (school internship programer, academic counselor, school website, some random person at school) and how did you apply.

2) Did you fill out any paperwork to earn any recognition for your work after the fact. In other words, do you have anything to turn in for credit or to advance your major?

3) What/was your major and how was this internship related to the work you would do in your planned industry. ]

4) Did the grocery store consider you an "intern" or a volunteer/experience seeker? How many hours did you work a week and how long did you work there total.

It sounds like this was more of a volunteer and build experience outside of home type job then a normal internship. And that is normal; I did the same at 18 before starting college, I worked for my dads business in the office filling in for the receptionist and doing odd jobs to get the hang of working in a fast paced business. But that was before college and while I called it an Internship on my resume, it really was a work experience gig with no reward for me other than extra experience and references.

A real internship as you would find in a reputable college setting would be assigned or picked by you based on your major and targeted industry. You would be doing a combination of tasks you know and that you will be taught since the position is to aid in teaching and advancing your education versus simply having you work. If it's a TRUE Internship, you should be given paperwork in lue of a W-2 by your university/college (that will define the internship and should go over your rights as an intern) and the college should provide you with a pathway to earning a credit in lue of taking a traditional class. Sometimes internships require a write-up by the student t explain their internship accomplishments and relation to their degree goal to ensure they actually did something to relate the two.

It's possible that your confused about the actual nature and status of your "internship" as it really doesn't sound anything like one.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 AM

12,160 posts, read 10,344,414 times
Why in the world would you even think there's a possibility that this is an internship? You made it this far in life but do not understand what an internship is or even have a question as to if a bagger at a grocery store is an internship? Sounds like someone took advantage of you because you have no clue how the world works in general.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 AM

8,792 posts, read 13,281,490 times
No you should report the store to the DOL. Seriously what professional skills did you think you were going to get working at a grocery store? What use would it be on your resume. I did an intership at a grocery store. They owe you min wage at least for the time you worked there and probably all sorts of fines by the DOL.

https://www.avvo.com/features/intern...al-internships

Old 06-05-2019, 08:12 AM

4,540 posts, read 4,726,731 times
Quote:
Hi, I did a unpaid internship as a bagger at a grocery store.I looked at the law and it said that unpaid internships should not do a job that a paid employee would otherwise do and should not replace a paid worker. The grocery store would have had to pay someone to do the work I did for free.I did all the duties a paid employee would have been paid for.I received no training from the store while i was doing my unpaid internship. The company benefited because they did not have to pay me for the work i was doing for them.Was this legal?
Why would you consider that an internship? It's an entry level job a high school kid could get.

I did an unpaid internship about 24 hours a week, but it was for a consulting firm where I was learning skills like client-focused interaction, psychometrics, applied statistics, running focus groups, etc.

Funny enough I also worked 20-24 hours a week (paid) at a grocery store during this time.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 AM

2,384 posts, read 908,448 times
So OP interned as a bagger at a grocery store. And being an intern bagger was supposed to help you how, upon graduation from college?

Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
Quote:
Hi, I did a unpaid internship as a bagger at a grocery store.I looked at the law and it said that unpaid internships should not do a job that a paid employee would otherwise do and should not replace a paid worker. The grocery store would have had to pay someone to do the work I did for free.I did all the duties a paid employee would have been paid for.I received no training from the store while i was doing my unpaid internship. The company benefited because they did not have to pay me for the work i was doing for them.Was this legal?
That doesn't seem like an internship. Usually an internship is done for college credit @ a company relevant to the career field you want to pursue.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:01 AM

4,802 posts, read 1,983,159 times
Quote:

Like unpaid overtime, unpaid internships are scams too.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:36 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,318,142 times
Wow! Who knew for those 3 years of bagging groceries I was actually performing a paid internship! Should have listed it on my resume in both places, employment and extra curricular activities.

This is definitely not an internship and shame on your school if they seriously classified it as such! The grocery store owner should also reimburse you for your time spent working for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment