U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM

4,802 posts, read 1,980,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi, I did a unpaid internship as a bagger at a grocery store.I looked at the law and it said that unpaid internships should not do a job that a paid employee would otherwise do and should not replace a paid worker. The grocery store would have had to pay someone to do the work I did for free.I did all the duties a paid employee would have been paid for.I received no training from the store while i was doing my unpaid internship. The company benefited because they did not have to pay me for the work i was doing for them.Was this legal?

Exactly which STEM career does bagger at a super market prepare you for?
You've been snukered.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:28 PM

928 posts, read 255,097 times
I don't know if it was illegal, but I don't know why anyone would do it.

A person does an internship because, despite the lack of pay, it's supposed to benefit them somehow: school credit, experience in the field or with the specific company, experience to put on their resume that they might not gain otherwise, a "foot in the door" with a company.

I don't see what being a grocery bagger would do for you. It can't take that long to learn as a job, so it's not like you'd gain some sort of valuable experience you'd need in your career goal of being a grocery bagger in future. I wouldn't even expect to be able to frame it as "community service" or something.

Was it legal? Don't know. Was it ethical? Sounds like taking advantage of someone to me.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 AM

20,534 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyBeaver View Post
Yeah, someone at your school got a kickback.
This was no college internship. No one would risk their job for such a very few dollars as a supermarket bagger gets. Not the person at the grocery store, and no one at the college. I don’t think it was really an internship. Internships are documented, it would be part of the school transcript it would have to be feedback to the school from this person supervisor. This was not an internship. I’d be curious to know what kind of school OP attends and I’m wondering if it’s for people with special needs perhaps.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:14 AM

16,018 posts, read 19,670,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi, I did a unpaid internship as a bagger at a grocery store.I looked at the law and it said that unpaid internships should not do a job that a paid employee would otherwise do and should not replace a paid worker. The grocery store would have had to pay someone to do the work I did for free.I did all the duties a paid employee would have been paid for.I received no training from the store while i was doing my unpaid internship. The company benefited because they did not have to pay me for the work i was doing for them.Was this legal?
Why would you volunteer to do that job? Contact DOL Dept. of Labor....they'll have your answers. https://www.dol.gov/ There is a vast menu.....look for the department related to your questions.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:08 PM

40,201 posts, read 15,177,008 times
This thread is headed nowhere. The worst of the personal attacks and rude posts have been deleted. Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment