U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:59 AM

5,026 posts, read 3,211,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I think it is obvious that everyone who has had to search for a job has noticed the McJob recovery. But WHY are so many jobs crappy? As the united states of America is this the best we can do? Do we need to hand our economy to the govt because we just can't pull it together and create an abundance of GOOD jobs where McJobs are held EXCLUSIVELY by high school students during the time they have?

I can't imagine people are happy in all these McJobs so I would imagine there will eventually be consequences?
I suspect that it's a personal viewpoint. You think the jobs paying less than what you make are crappy. Imagine the person who makes 10X what you do...Do you think they imagine you are enjoying yourself? Or do they even give a damn?

I have what you'd say is a "McJob" and frankly I enjoy it. I guess you're just worried for no reason other than to just complain about jobs you won't touch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 11:12 AM

6,942 posts, read 3,060,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
they flee to the US and become taxi drivers...
Licensing Barriers Leave Immigrant Doctors Driving Cabs Instead of Practicing Medicine : Immigration Impact

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/09/h...ing/index.html

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...rticle4106352/ <-- in Canada as well

well, if you are already here, you can drive for uber and skip the taxi part

really, do people think fleeing a country entitles them to a high paying job elsewhere?
Who said anything about entitlement, what made you jump to that conclusion?

Old 06-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I suspect that it's a personal viewpoint. You think the jobs paying less than what you make are crappy. Imagine the person who makes 10X what you do...Do you think they imagine you are enjoying yourself? Or do they even give a damn?

I have what you'd say is a "McJob" and frankly I enjoy it. I guess you're just worried for no reason other than to just complain about jobs you won't touch...
I am worried about the proliferation of such jobs because it squeezes everyone else

Old 06-03-2019, 11:16 AM

528 posts, read 618,090 times
If you are applying with 300 other people the pay will likely be low and some will say the job sucks. It's because you are applying to an open market job that is posted to the general public. If you want to find jobs that don't have 400 other people applying, then you need to master the skills of finding jobs in the hidden job network - the jobs that don't get posted to the general public.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
If you are applying with 300 other people the pay will likely be low and some will say the job sucks. It's because you are applying to an open market job that is posted to the general public. If you want to find jobs that don't have 400 other people applying, then you need to master the skills of finding jobs in the hidden job network - the jobs that don't get posted to the general public.
Still trying to figure out how to do this, may take years.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:22 PM

11,125 posts, read 8,531,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Still trying to figure out how to do this, may take years.
Are you still limiting your job search to six figure government jobs in Alaska?

If you are an engineer, why do you obsess over McJobs?

Old 06-03-2019, 05:03 PM

5,548 posts, read 8,888,099 times
Wages are low because the employer is finding acceptable applicants at the wage they are offering. Think of the labor market as an auction process. Employers need to lift the offer until such point qualified applicants are interested. Just because YOU find the compensation low your competition may not.

If employers thought they needed to up the offer they would.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:10 PM

1,226 posts, read 520,840 times
if all you see are crappy jobs, then skill requirements must be very low

Old 06-03-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
if all you see are crappy jobs, then skill requirements must be very low
I agree, but why do these jobs even exist. Are we a nation of idiots and mentally ill, who takes these jobs?

Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are you still limiting your job search to six figure government jobs in Alaska?

If you are an engineer, why do you obsess over McJobs?
I get tired of seeing them in my searches, they are everywhere and their existence is offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment