U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:48 PM

14,057 posts, read 16,063,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I think it is obvious that everyone who has had to search for a job has noticed the McJob recovery. But WHY are so many jobs crappy? As the united states of America is this the best we can do? Do we need to hand our economy to the govt because we just can't pull it together and create an abundance of GOOD jobs where McJobs are held EXCLUSIVELY by high school students during the time they have?

I can't imagine people are happy in all these McJobs so I would imagine there will eventually be consequences?
People want hamburgers outside of student hours of around 3:00 to 10:00, weekends, and summers.

Most people aren't so they learn an employable skill that pays more. Enough people are satisfied with them, however, which keeps the pay low. It's just market forces though. It's tough to fill McJobs here so they're not as crappy as they may be in other areas where the workforce is treated as mostly disposable as if one quits there's another five that want the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 05:55 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,890,013 times
Quote:
Who said anything about entitlement, what made you jump to that conclusion?
Well, when you use a buzz phrase like "hand our economy to the government" it kind of gives off an entitlement vibe to some readers.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:30 PM

528 posts, read 616,303 times
Quote:
Still trying to figure out how to do this, may take years.
It took me several years to master the skill. Tons of rejection throughout the years. Then I figured out the approach that was getting results and then I scaled it. I do the hidden job activities from home and don't bother going to networking events. I assign myself a quota for the year and break it down throughout the year for each month. I have the income target goal to meet.

I always roll my eyes at people who are afraid of cold emailing people or reaching out to people that they know to talk about the company they work for.

More than half of the jobs that are available out there DON'T get posted to job boards.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:36 PM

18,843 posts, read 7,324,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Wages are low because the employer is finding acceptable applicants at the wage they are offering. Think of the labor market as an auction process. Employers need to lift the offer until such point qualified applicants are interested. Just because YOU find the compensation low your competition may not.

If employers thought they needed to up the offer they would.

Well stated, spot on post.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:58 AM
bUU

11,879 posts, read 8,653,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Well, when you use a buzz phrase like "hand our economy to the government" it kind of gives off an entitlement vibe to some readers.
Not to me. It gives off a completely different vibe for me:

I was listening to MSNBC yesterday and there was a rather substantive discussion about the underlying reasons for the trade war. They hit their standard notes (ethnocentrism and racism) but putting those aside, they made a really good point that American companies are in an economic cold war and losing their long-standing advantage against a system that is achieving for Chinese companies success through a mechanism not only different from the American system but one that today's American leadership irrationally hates - one that today's American leadership derisively refers to as "handing our economy to the government".

That's the vibe I got.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:02 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,944,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Wages are low because the employer is finding acceptable applicants at the wage they are offering. Think of the labor market as an auction process. Employers need to lift the offer until such point qualified applicants are interested. Just because YOU find the compensation low your competition may not.

If employers thought they needed to up the offer they would.
Very true.

If you develop a unique highly needed skill set that enables an employer to make about 10 times what he is paying you, you will find that getting an excellent job is very easy.

It's all about the business of making money.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:25 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Call me a snob. I only see six figure jobs because that's my personal salary range. It doesn't bother me to know that lower paid jobs exist. Technically, everyone has a McJob compared to someone much richer than them.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:35 AM

1,171 posts, read 463,614 times
Close to 50% of the jobs are service sector jobs with low, cash only pay, and often part-time.

And these jobs are for people on the bottom 50% of
Bell Curve. (Normal Standard Deviation.)

But how many people are doing these jobs are at the bottom end 50%?

Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 AM

27,283 posts, read 15,758,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
It's impossible for "McJobs" to be held exclusively by HS students, I hate when people say that. Who are the managers? Who is working Mon-Fri 5am-1pm? Who is working overnights? Not students.
The elderly. I see this in a number of a few fast food locations as well as Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:45 AM

5,020 posts, read 3,207,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Close to 50% of the jobs are service sector jobs with low, cash only pay, and often part-time.

And these jobs are for people on the bottom 50% of
Bell Curve. (Normal Standard Deviation.)

But how many people are doing these jobs are at the bottom end 50%?
In 2017, 80.4 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.3 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/min.../2017/home.htm

As you can see, not many were paid the absolute min wage possible, just 0.67% of the workforce...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment