U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 10:46 AM

2,350 posts, read 1,074,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The elderly. I see this in a number of a few fast food locations as well as Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.
Not all elderly want, need or are able to work. Most 70+ yr olds are not going to be there at 3 am on truck days to spend hours unloading the truck and rotating the entire freezer. These elderly employees are working part-time greeting customers, wiping down tables, etc. There's more positions to fill and someone has to fill them. Or we as a society have to live without them, and that's not going to happen. With things like self check-out and ordering kiosks less adult workers are needed during the day, but they are still needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 11:53 AM

724 posts, read 616,373 times
To all those people saying "learn a skill"..

It's not what you can do, it's what you can negotiate.

I had an underwater welder coworker that worked in the Middle East on oil rigs. He certainly had a skill, I mean isn't underwater welding something not everyone is able or wants to do?

He was only making a thousand bucks a month risking his life. Meanwhile there are office drones in western countries making that in a week without any discernible skills.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 AM

12,900 posts, read 8,730,792 times
Some of the most skilled people are underpaid so learn how to negotiate and spot supply/demand jobs that you can adapt and make the most out of. One thing I tried to coach and I keep getting resistance from young people is. Don't be afraid to change jobs if you don't feel the work you're doing is worth your time and energy. Don't get boxed in by a well paying but dead end job either. Eventually the company will find their way to get rid of your dead end job.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:35 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,500,911 times
Start your own business. Then you will be so busy, you won't have time to get on City-data and complain about crappy jobs/pay

Though, you will find plenty of things to complain about when you try to hire people and all you can find are whiners and slackers wanting to make 10x what you can afford to pay them

Old 06-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,390,602 times
We currently have 20 jobs open on our website, the pay ranges from $57k to $144k, most in the $90s. Some are not even requiring a BA, the one at $57K requires only an Associates, but 5 years experience. The one at $145k requires a BA and 10 years. We have no "crappy" jobs, because those can be done by people with no experience.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:10 PM

27,284 posts, read 15,762,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Not all elderly want, need or are able to work. Most 70+ yr olds are not going to be there at 3 am on truck days to spend hours unloading the truck and rotating the entire freezer. These elderly employees are working part-time greeting customers, wiping down tables, etc. There's more positions to fill and someone has to fill them. Or we as a society have to live without them, and that's not going to happen. With things like self check-out and ordering kiosks less adult workers are needed during the day, but they are still needed.
I was merely replying to the comment who works those jobs at those hours. I didn't say they were full-time or part-time.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:13 PM

27,284 posts, read 15,762,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We currently have 20 jobs open on our website, the pay ranges from $57k to $144k, most in the $90s. Some are not even requiring a BA, the one at $57K requires only an Associates, but 5 years experience. The one at $145k requires a BA and 10 years. We have no "crappy" jobs, because those can be done by people with no experience.
The problem with this many jobs ask for experience yet how do you get said five year experience? I never get an answer on that one.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:37 PM

11,121 posts, read 8,527,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem with this many jobs ask for experience yet how do you get said five year experience? I never get an answer on that one.
I have the answer. Create your own experience using lateral moves. It will take time but it's possible.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:09 PM
bUU

11,879 posts, read 8,655,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you develop a unique highly needed skill set that enables an employer to make about 10 times what he is paying you, you will find that getting an excellent job is very easy. It's all about the business of making money.
The point is that it shouldn't be. Our nation gave the Federal Reserve the power to craft and control our economy to secure "price stability and maximum sustainable employment". While individual businesses should do what's best for them, the Federal Reserve is supposed to be shaping an economy within which what's best for businesses is that which achieves "price stability and maximum sustainable employment" even if they have to do so with the stick instead of carrots.

An economy continually refined so as to reward fewer and fewer unicorns is not conducive to a fair and just society.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:16 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,829,163 times
Should have stayed in McSchool, gone to McCollege, or McTrade School. You’d have more McOptions.

Last edited by Sydney123; 06-04-2019 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment